Lincoln Restaurants?

Literally every good lincoln place to eat has been mentioned. Omaha > Lincoln food wise.

Eh. As someone who has tried many/most of the most mentioned restaurants in both cities . . . I have to call it a wash. Omaha has more restaurant options . . . but that comes with being 5 times larger than Lincoln. Quality wise, I think they're roughly equal.

Not. Even. Close. Omaha is on an order of magnitude better than Lincoln. We have what two (!) independent steak houses, no real seafood place (If anyone says red lobster I will vomit). Omaha Prime, Mahogany, Gorats, The Paxton (I know a world wide chain of two), Shucks, Bone Fish Grill.... I can go on and on, yes part of this is due to the larger population, but people will also spend when they go out. The one line that sends chills down my spine when friends tell me about a new place is "Well its a little pricey for what you get"... Hmmm, "was it good", "well yeah, but {insert crappy chain place} is almost as good, and it costs way less". :facepalm:

Also they have M's Pub... Go there for lunch, tureen of Salmon app, and a Lamb Burger..... FML I could eat that everyday...

1. I don't eat seafood in Nebraska. Period. I'll get Bang Bang shrimp occasionally at Bonefish . . . but nothing compares to eating seafood off the docks. It's the same reason why I don't order steaks in Pensacola.

2. Omaha Prime, Mahogany, and Gorat are all grossly overrated . . . and even more overpriced. Ridiculous. A better steak can be had for 1/3 of the cost at Driftwood north of Blair. Get the filet (large or small) and thank me later.

3. M's Pub? Really? Never understood the fascination with that place. Good atmosphere. OK food. JTK in Lincoln is better and the date night special can't be beat for quality for the price.

4. I hardly EVER eat at chains. Not sure where you are coming from.

The chain thing was in reference to Lincoln people in general (not specifically you)... People in Lincoln would rather eat at crapplebees twice instead of a good local place once. I'm not totally opposed to chains, some are very good, although I try to avoid them as much as possible.

I've been to JTK, I went for the Wagyu beef, I really think the thing was cooked from frozen, I had about two bites and left it, the thing was just tough and nasty. I've been meaning to give them another chance but haven't gotten around to it, I will give any place three tries, unless it is really bad, and they were just mediocre.

I'm with you on the seafood, although I will eat it in the Midwest, I know its not as good as San Fran or Boston, but I am willing to accept that to get my seafood fix.

I always say the best steak in the state is in my backyard. The Omaha steak houses can be very expensive, but I accept that, they have large overhead, but in my mind, and mouth, I think they leave anything in Lincoln in the dust. Although it becomes a diminishing return situation, is it really worth the extra 30% cost to go to the absolute extreme in quality? Most times no, but on occasion I say yes...

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the restaurants thread.

That said :LOLtartar where is a good place for a date, but not having it look like I'm trying to hard? I'm thinking Dish.

Discuss.

Thanks in advance :thumbs

The Dish is pretty good. If you're 21 or older Marz has a pretty decent (but limited) menu. Good place for a first date.

My go to was always the Blue Orchid but I've heard that it isn't as good as it used to be. Gorgeous space and good food at really reasonable prices . . . but I haven't been there in about a year.

I was at Blue Orchid over the winter, I normally enjoy Thai food, but found this to be very bland. Although later someone told me you need to inform the wait staff that you like it spicy, and they will spice it up. something about to much food being sent back, I dont know if it true as I haven't been back yet.

That said :LOLtartar where is a good place for a date, but not having it look like I'm trying to hard? I'm thinking Dish.

Discuss.

The Dish is pretty good. If you're 21 or older Marz has a pretty decent (but limited) menu. Good place for a first date.

My go to was always the Blue Orchid but I've heard that it isn't as good as it used to be. Gorgeous space and good food at really reasonable prices . . . but I haven't been there in about a year.

I was at Blue Orchid over the winter, I normally enjoy Thai food, but found this to be very bland. Although later someone told me you need to inform the wait staff that you like it spicy, and they will spice it up. something about to much food being sent back, I dont know if it true as I haven't been back yet.

Like you, I didn't really find Blue Orchid more then barely average. Be careful when saying "I want it Thai hot"

Discuss.

Like you, I didn't really find Blue Orchid more then barely average. Be careful when saying "I want it Thai hot"

Several years ago I was a frequent patron and a big fan. My last visit wasn't as impressive . . . my food was lukewarm.

I'm willing to give them another shot though.

Discuss.

Oh yeah you are right about that. One of my clients installations has a Thai chef, and holy cow it can get hot... He makes a chopped chilies in vinegar sauce... It is amazing, I wanted to get the recipe, but I left before I had the chance... Thai food is really on my radar for the last 18 months or so... I was really let down but Blue Orchid, I hope what ever issues thye are having they get past it....