My son is playin football!

My youngest son (14yo) has wanted to play football for a few years now. A while back I told his mom I would pay for him to play and she was all excited...until she found out how much she was gonna have to put in (fundraisers, etc). Needless to say I was pissed!!!

This summer, he pretty much moved in with me. I asked him if he wanted to play and he said "I dunno". His friend in the neighborhood, who goes to the same school he will be, convinced him to play (his friend plays). We went tonight and signed him up for the High School team. He'll be playing on the freshman team but that's cool since this'll be the first he's gotten to play outside of "street ball".

He's stoked and I'm stoked!! :horns2:horns2

My youngest son (14yo) has wanted to play football for a few years now. A while back I told his mom I would pay for him to play and she was all excited...until she found out how much she was gonna have to put in (fundraisers, etc). Needless to say I was pissed!!!

This summer, he pretty much moved in with me. I asked him if he wanted to play and he said "I dunno". His friend in the neighborhood, who goes to the same school he will be, convinced him to play (his friend plays). We went tonight and signed him up for the High School team. He'll be playing on the freshman team but that's cool since this'll be the first he's gotten to play outside of "street ball".

He's stoked and I'm stoked!! :horns2:horns2

You both should be STOKED, HS Football was a blast

He's stoked and I'm stoked!! headbank.gifheadbank.gif

Has he been doing any running, lifting, or conditioning? Gonna be pretty tough to just stroll up to the first practice without any type of preparation! Should be fun for him though (once two-a-days are over).

He hasn't done any running, etc. This was sort of a short notice deal for him so he's in for a rude awakening. I warned him though it was going to be tough. I do plan on taking him to the gym with me in the afternoon though so he can do some lifting. As for two-a-days, the coach said he's no longer doing those. The temps here have been extremely hot (heat index well into triple digits).

I'm more stoked about him getting to just pad up than anything else. The kid has wanted to play for a couple-three years now but his mom always came up with some excuse for him not to get to play.

From a past 9th grade, light weight, B team football player - good luck and congrats.

(That would be the seventh best team at the high school, but better than . . . oh, crap . . . nothing. and i wasn't even a starter)

Ahhh the memories of being buried on the depth chart on freshman B team. As long as you made it through the first week, you were on the team. I think about 1/4 of the kids who tried out quit after the first couple of days.

Tell him to hang in there and good luck!

Here's a question for you guys. My son is 5'4" and weighs a whopping 111 pounds. He wants to play wide receiver. I told him the first time he runs a crossing route and gets hit by the CB or the safety, he may re-think that decision but he doesn't care. So...I'd like him to put on a few more pounds. He eats like there's no tomorrow (I think he would eat tomorrows food today if he could) but he's still skinny. I'm thinking about getting him some protein shake stuff and having him drink it once a day to hopefully 1) help his muscles recover and 2) put a little meat on his bones. Safe? Not safe? Any particular brand?

Here's a question for you guys. My son is 5'4" and weighs a whopping 111 pounds. He wants to play wide receiver. I told him the first time he runs a crossing route and gets hit by the CB or the safety, he may re-think that decision but he doesn't care. So...I'd like him to put on a few more pounds. He eats like there's no tomorrow (I think he would eat tomorrows food today if he could) but he's still skinny. I'm thinking about getting him some protein shake stuff and having him drink it once a day to hopefully 1) help his muscles recover and 2) put a little meat on his bones. Safe? Not safe? Any particular brand?

There's nothing wrong with a protein shake, but watch the "weight gainers." Those aren't good.

There's nothing wrong with a protein shake, but watch the "weight gainers." Those aren't good.

Thanks for the info. The shake I used to drink was designed for lean muscle (very little fat within in the ingredients) so I may look at getting some of that for him