Who got the Blackshirts?

Lincoln - Nebraska Defensive Coordinator Kevin Cosgrove and the Husker coaching staff awarded 14 Blackshirts to NU defensive players before practice on Tuesday at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln.

The Blackshirts, signifying Nebraska's top unit on defense, were placed in player lockers before practice and the positions were made public when the Huskers' first depth chart was officially released at Coach Bill Callahan's first weekly media luncheon at Memorial Stadium.

All four of Nebraska's defensive linemen, Jay Moore, Le Kevin Smith, Titus Adams and Adam Carriker retained their Blackshirts from a year ago, while linebacker Stewart Bradley and strong safety Daniel Bullocks also maintained Blackshirts from the 2004 season.

Other players listed at No. 1 on the defensive depth chart included cornerback Cortney Grixby, free safety Blake Tiedtke, cornerback Tierre Green, Mike linebacker Corey McKeon and Will linebacker Steve Octavien.

Three other Huskers who are listed at No. 2 on the depth chart, including defensive end Wali Muhammad, Will linebacker Bo Ruud and nose tackle Ola Dagundaro, also earned Blackshirts for their strong performances during the fall.

"I couldn't wait to give them out," Cosgrove said. "We have 14 Blackshirts. Muhammad, Ruud and Ola are the three (Blackshirts not listed No. 1 at their positions). All three of those guys have performed like starters. We feel that if anything happened to a one, that they would come in and take their place and we wouldn't lose anything. All will have a major role. We just felt those guys deserved them and that's why we gave them out."

While Cosgrove discussed the 14 Blackshirts to the media, Offensive Coordinator Jay Norvell announced that four walk-ons to Nebraska's program were awarded scholarships on Tuesday.

Nebraska natives Joey Robison, Matt Schroeder and Lane Kelly all received scholarships, along with Texan Grant Mulkey. Norvell said each of the four had earned their scholarships for their dedication and work ethic.

"Coach Callahan was really proud. Those kids have worked their tails off. They're a big part of our program. He wanted to congratulate them and he wanted to make mention of them," Norvell said. "We did have at least four (scholarships) to give. We were happy. We always try to have a couple available to award to guys in our program. Our walk-on program is important. We have a lot of guys who walk-on from the state that really contribute to the program. These guys have earned their scholarships."

Nebraska will continue its preparation for its season opener against Maine with practice on Wednesday. The Huskers are scheduled to kick off the 2005 season against the Black Bears at Memorial Stadium on Saturday at 6:10 p.m. in a game televised on a pay-per-view basis by FSN.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB...0&ATCLID=182784

Huh, with all the hype about Bowman I thought he would have got a shirt

Good to see Octavien got one. I am looking for our linebacking core to be much more well rounded this year.

I think they should wait a game or two to give out the Blackshirts. Ola and Steve O, like Bowman, haven't played a down of D1 football yet.

I guess maybe they earned them in practice, but I'd like to see how they handle the game situations first. I'm sure if ZB is as good as hyped he'll get one very soon.

I think Coach Coz was impressed with the work a lot of the D did both in the summer and fall camp. He seemed genuinely impressed with the progress Dillard has made. Hopefully the Blackshirt fear and domination are heading back where they belong.

GBR

Personally, I'm really surprised by McKeon.

I am also. During the spring and early on it was all about Bradenbaugh with nothing being said about McKeon. I wonder if he is just keeping the seat warm until Dillard gets a couple games under his belt.

That's what I'd think because Dillard is listed as 2nd and Brandenburgh is, I assume, 3rd.