Big 12 braces for the end of an era

I like his unit rankings. :thumbs

OFFENSIVE BACKFIELD

1. Texas A&M: Jerrod Johnson passed for more than 3,500 yards and two running backs ran for more than 750 last season.

2. Oklahoma: Coach Bob Stoops predicts a big year for RB DeMarco Murray.

3. Missouri: Blaine Gabbert and Derrick Washington provide passing and rushing threats, respectively.

4. Texas Tech: There are two good passers and three capable running backs.

5. Nebraska: RBs Roy Helu and Rex Burkhead are good, but quarterback play must get better.

6. Iowa State: Dual-threat QB Austen Arnaud is better than most realize.

7. Texas: The Longhorns have to boost a lackluster running game while breaking in a new quarterback.

8. Oklahoma State: Look for RB Kendall Hunter to come back strong from injury.

9. Baylor: Robert Griffin is the fastest quarterback in the country.

10. Colorado: RB Rodney Stewart is solid, but quarterback play has been mediocre.

11. Kansas State: Fingers crossed that RB Daniel Thomas can make up for poor quarterback play.

12. Kansas: The Jayhawks have a so-so running game and also are breaking in a new quarterback.

RECEIVERS

1. Texas A&M: Three returning receivers had more than 40 catches in '09 and they combined for 17 touchdown catches.

2. Texas Tech: Red Raiders receivers will put up big numbers. So what else is new?

3. Oklahoma: WR Ryan Broyles is a big play waiting to happen, but the Sooners need a reliable alternative target.

4. Texas: The Longhorns have great speed and some heralded freshmen coming in.

5. Missouri: WR Jerrell Jackson may be on the brink of a breakout season. The same goes for Rolandis Woodland.

6. Nebraska: The tight end position is solid. WR Niles Paul must be more consistent.

7. Colorado: Dependable WR Scotty McKnight is close to setting the school career receptions record.

8. Baylor: WR Kendall Wright had 66 catches in '09.

9. Iowa State: The Cyclones' receivers corps is solid but unspectacular.

10. Oklahoma State: As with Iowa State, this receivers corps is solid but unspectacular.

11. Kansas: The top two receivers are gone.

12. Kansas State: Transfers Chris Harper and Brodrick Smith must give the Wildcats a boost.

OFFENSIVE LINE

1. Nebraska: Coaches hope the addition of junior college transfer Jermarcus Hardrick at tackle helps this Huskers line resemble the powerful ones of old.

2. Oklahoma: Finally over injuries, the Sooners should be solid.

3. Texas: G Michael Huey and T Kyle Hix have All-Big 12 potential.

4. Missouri: C Tim Barnes heads a list of four returning starters up front.

5. Kansas State: The Wildcats had a 1,000-yard rusher last season and four line starters are back.

6. Kansas: T Tanner Hawkinson is the best of an experienced group.

7. Iowa State: Allowed only 16 sacks last season and blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher.

8. Colorado: Injuries were an issue in '09, when the Buffs ranked 113th in rushing and 117th in sacks allowed. T Nate Solder is a legit star.

9. Texas Tech: The Red Raiders are huge up front, but only two starters return from a group that allowed 31 sacks in '09.

10. Texas A&M: The Aggies have new starters at both tackle spots, including a true freshman.

11. Oklahoma State: The Cowboys have to replace four starters, including All-America T Russell Okung.

12. Baylor: The bigger Bears have to prove they're better Bears.

DEFENSIVE LINE

1. Nebraska: T Jared Crick and E Pierre Allen anchor what should be one of the country's best front fours.

2. Texas: Look for Sam Acho and Alex Okafor to lead a pass rush that is among the nation's fiercest.

3. Oklahoma: Excellence at ends, but questions at tackle.

4. Kansas State: Brandon Harold's return from injury gives immediate improvement.

5. Missouri: E Aldon Smith has all-conference ability. The tackles are unproven.

6. Oklahoma State: There is potential at end, but there are questions about the tackles.

7. Colorado: A lot of experience up front should foster improvement against the run.

8. Texas Tech: No lineman had more than three sacks a year ago.

9. Kansas: E Jake Laptad is coming off a strong season in '09.

10. Texas A&M: Already mediocre against the run, the Aggies now are going to a three-man front.

11. Iowa State: The Cyclones are soft vs. the run and lack a pass rush.

12. Baylor: T Phil Taylor has been a major disappointment since transferring from Penn State.

LINEBACKERS

1. Oklahoma: The Lewises (Travis and Ronnell, no relation) are beasts.

2. Texas: Keenan Robinson is an emerging star on the outside, and Emmanuel Acho is solid, too.

3. Nebraska: Sean Fisher and Will Compton were good as redshirt freshmen and should be even better as sophomores.

4. Texas A&M: Von Miller gives the Aggies perhaps the country's best pass rusher coming off the edge.

5. Missouri: Even without the departed Sean Weatherspoon, the Tigers are solid here.

6. Kansas State: The Wildcats were solid against the run in '09, but Troy Butler is only returning full-time starter at linebacker.

7. Kansas: Drew Dudley aims to build on an 88-tackle output.

8. Oklahoma State: Orie Lemon is back from injury, but everyone else is unproven.

9. Texas Tech: The Red Raiders are counting on Brian Duncan to excel in a switch to the 3-4.

10. Baylor: Despite losing two starters, the Bears could be solid here.

11. Colorado: Former backups have to distinguish themselves as starters.

12. Iowa State: There will be new starters at all three positions.

SECONDARY

1. Texas: Elite CB Aaron Williams and two other starters are back from a top-20 pass defense.

2. Nebraska: CBs Prince Amukamara and Alfonzo Dennard have pro potential. Both safeties will be new starters.

3. Oklahoma: The safeties are strong, especially FS Quinton Carter, but there are two new starters at corner.

4. Texas Tech: The Red Raiders allowed only 12 TD passes last season and three starters return.

5. Colorado: CBs Jimmy Smith and Jalil Brown each were credited with at least 10 pass breakups.

6. Kansas State: Although there are holes in the secondary, FS Tysyn Hartman will contend for postseason honors.

7. Iowa State: SS David Sims and CB Leonard Johnson are trying to build on solid seasons, but a pass rush would help.

8. Missouri: A switch to a 4-2-5 figures to boost the Tigers' pass defense.

9. Baylor: Freshmen Prince Kent and Ahmad Dixon need to make immediate contributions.

10. Kansas: The Jayhawks managed a league-low seven interceptions last season.

11. Oklahoma State: The Cowboys are counting on newcomers to improve a struggling secondary.

12. Texas A&M: The Aggies were last in the Big 12 in pass defense last season.

SPECIAL TEAMS

1. Nebraska: Alex Henery is an elite kicker and punter, and Niles Paul is dangerous on returns.

2. Oklahoma: The kicker is a concern, but punt returner Ryan Broyles and P Tress Way are tremendous.

3. Missouri: K Grant Ressel has great accuracy and the return teams are strong.

4. Oklahoma State: P Quinn Sharp is exceptional and K Dan Bailey is accurate inside 40 yards.

5. Texas: The return teams are dynamic, but the Longhorns have a new kicker.

6. Texas Tech: Eric Stephens set a school record with 823 yards on kickoff returns last season.

7. Kansas State: Kicking and punting are set, and the Wildcats always seem to find a dangerous return man.

8. Baylor: P Derek Epperson is a Ray Guy Award contender.

9. Kansas: K Jacob Bransteter has a strong leg, but he needs to improve his accuracy.

10. Iowa State: The kick coverage is good. Nothing else really is.

11. Colorado: K Aric Goodman is woefully unreliable.

12. Texas A&M: Did you see the Independence Bowl? Yikes.

COACHING STAFFS

1. Oklahoma: Six conference championships under Bob Stoops says it all.

2. Texas: Mack Brown consistently produces 10-win teams, DC Will Muschamp is elite and OC Greg Davis is under-appreciated.

3. Nebraska: In three years, Bo Pelini and Co. have transformed the Huskers from losers to title contenders.

4. Kansas State: Bill Snyder has 142 wins as Kansas State coach. Enough said.

5. Texas Tech: Tommy Tuberville won at Ole Miss and won big at Auburn.

6. Missouri: Gary Pinkel has led Missouri to the most successful five-year stretch in school history.

7. Oklahoma State: Dana Holgorsen on offense and Bill Young on defense form an impressive set of coordinators.

8. Texas A&M: The addition of new DC Tim DeRuyter offers hope.

9. Iowa State: In one year under Paul Rhoads, the Cyclones won a bowl game and beat Nebraska.

10. Baylor: Under Art Briles, the Bears no longer are a pushover.

11. Kansas: Though Turner Gill won a MAC championship at Buffalo, his record still is just 20-30.

12. Colorado: The Buffs have no winning records in four seasons under Dan Hawkins.

Found it fairly satisfying that Gabbert was most overrated quarterback.....

I don't agree with that assessment, by the way. He played each of those four games they talked about (against top-35 defenses) with a banged-up ankle on his plant foot. I think the kid did fine for his first major starting gig, and I think he'll be a handful this year in Lincoln.

I was SHOCKED that they had us as the No. 1 O Line in the Big 12. Special Teams, D Line, and Secondary I understood, but the O Line and the Linebackers rankings shocked me quite a bit. This is one of those articles where you can tell Rivals has a pretty good idea about the league as a whole, but doesn't know some of the smaller details about each team.

Also, I just LOLd about Texas being one spot below ISU in the offensive backfield ratings. Take that GG! (gayest nickname ever)

• Fire 1
I was SHOCKED that they had us as the No. 1 O Line in the Big 12. Special Teams, D Line, and Secondary I understood, but the O Line and the Linebackers rankings shocked me quite a bit. This is one of those articles where you can tell Rivals has a pretty good idea about the league as a whole, but doesn't know some of the smaller details about each team.

That was the main thing that stuck out to me. I'd like to think they're right about our O Line, and we're hearing good things (aside from the Smith injury :( ), but until they line up and creamolish some people, I'm going to remain skeptical.

That was the main thing that stuck out to me. I'd like to think they're right about our O Line, and we're hearing good things (aside from the Smith injury :( ), but until they line up and creamolish some people, I'm going to remain skeptical.

:dunno

Cream + demolish = creamolish

It's science.

It's Etymology

FYP

It's a portmanteau

FYP

FYFYP ;)