Rivals Kicker rates

Very few if I recall. Congdon was a three star if I recall. I think some years top kickers won't reach the 3 star level. At most you'd probably only see a few.

The last 5-8 years there have been around 5-15 3* kickers. I don't think I've seen one ranked higher than 3* though.

At this point I'm sure they just picked the best bunch of kickers (based entirely on offers) and gave them an initial ranking. Every kicker 2* or above is already committed to a school. (Florida, Duke, A&M, Syracuse, Nebraska, ND,...). The kickers without stars are either committed to places like Louisianna-Monroe or hold no offers. The LSU committ is JUCO. Look for the kickers to be evaluated throughout the season (once again probably 90% based on their offers/commitment)

I would assume Sade will get the 3rd star. Rivals won't bring down our team rankings just because we offered a scholarship to one of the best kickers in the nation.

Very few if I recall. Congdon was a three star if I recall. I think some years top kickers won't reach the 3 star level. At most you'd probably only see a few.

The last 5-8 years there have been around 5-15 3* kickers. I don't think I've seen one ranked higher than 3* though.

At this point I'm sure they just picked the best bunch of kickers (based entirely on offers) and gave them an initial ranking. Every kicker 2* or above is already committed to a school. (Florida, Duke, A&M, Syracuse, Nebraska, ND,...). The kickers without stars are either committed to places like Louisianna-Monroe or hold no offers. The LSU committ is JUCO. Look for the kickers to be evaluated throughout the season (once again probably 90% based on their offers/commitment)

I would assume Sade will get the 3rd star. Rivals won't bring down our team rankings just because we offered a scholarship to one of the best kickers in the nation.

Here are the last five years and the number of 3 star kickers according to Rivals:

2011 - 0

2010 - 11

2009 - 6

2008 - 10

2007 - 13

Either this is a really weak year for kickers, Rivals has changed the way that they rate kickers, or we will see many of the 2011 guys bumped up to 3 stars prior to signing day.

Why is it that star ratings for kickers mean less than almost any other position? I mean, the skill set is fairly narrow, and extremely measurable.

I agree... i mean since there's like 8 rated kickers, how hard would it be to go watch some kid kick 20 field goals from different points and then launch one kickoff? That would take what, 20 minutes? I've never understood that.

Why is it that star ratings for kickers mean less than almost any other position? I mean, the skill set is fairly narrow, and extremely measurable.

I agree... i mean since there's like 8 rated kickers, how hard would it be to go watch some kid kick 20 field goals from different points and then launch one kickoff? That would take what, 20 minutes? I've never understood that.

Kicker commitments don't sell subscriptions, and therefore neither Rivals nor Scout care much about them. I don't think it's an issue of being able to accurately rank them, it's an issue of not caring to.

It's just that kickers aren't that valuable commitments. IMO. The same reason you won't get kickers get a 7.0 draft grade from NFL scouts or the same reason very, very few kickers get drafted even in the 4th round or above.

I think it's pretty fair that the top kickers get 3 stars in almost all cases. There are so few scholarship kickers in a year to begin with, aren't there?