MU tailback Derrick Washington suspended

A little more info via Vahe Gregorian:

According to an interview about the incident cited in a University of Missouri police report, Washington made an unexpected visit to a female friend at 2:30 a.m., banged loudly on doors and windows until he was let in and after a tense discussion attempted to sexually assault her roommate, who had been asleep in another room.

"Respondent entered room of petitioner unwilling and unprovoked. It was unwelcome," the order of protection states. The order says the woman claimed that she woke up to Washington sexually assaulting her.

Washington returned to the friend's room a few minutes later, according to the police interview with her, and spent another 30 minutes there before leaving.

Anyone else find it ironic that Mizzou's catch phrase "Get Money!" is based on Derrick Washington getting his hands on the ball. But now the guy gets booted off the team because he put his hands (fingers) where they don't belong?

• Fire 1

Anyone else find it ironic that Mizzou's catch phrase "Get Money!" is based on Derrick Washington getting his hands on the ball. But now the guy gets booted off the team because he put his hands (fingers) where they don't belong?

yikes...

That's what she said.

Actually, pretty stunning news. DWash is a stand-up guy and team captain and he was having a great camp.

If there were a legal issue, the local papers would have picked it up, but no news.

One thing about Pinkel though, he don't take no bull from the players.

Maybe. But "indefinitely" = before Big 12 play. I'd bet money on it.

he has sat players for league play before, and seeing as though this issues has the possibility of charges being brought, he will most likely sit till its resolved.

For all the things NE fans claim GP is, soft on team discipline can not be one of them

Has he ever had to sit someone with this much potential and expectations riding in to a season though?

GP is a tough disciplinarian, but MU has doesn't have much experience behind him. Do you think he'd keep Washington out that long, even if rushing the ball isn't priority number one for MU?

Actually, pretty stunning news. DWash is a stand-up guy and team captain and he was having a great camp.

If there were a legal issue, the local papers would have picked it up, but no news.

he has sat players for league play before, and seeing as though this issues has the possibility of charges being brought, he will most likely sit till its resolved.

For all the things NE fans claim GP is, soft on team discipline can not be one of them

Has he ever had to sit someone with this much potential and expectations riding in to a season though?

GP is a tough disciplinarian, but MU has doesn't have much experience behind him. Do you think he'd keep Washington out that long, even if rushing the ball isn't priority number one for MU?

As I pointed out earlier on this thread, GP doesn't have a choice if charges are filed. MU policy is that a player can't play if under felony charges until they have been fully adjudicated. That could take some time. Once the case has been adjudicated (or if charges are never filed), then it will be GP's decision.

As I pointed out earlier on this thread, GP doesn't have a choice if charges are filed. MU policy is that a player can't play if under felony charges until they have been fully adjudicated. That could take some time. Once the case has been adjudicated (or if charges are never filed), then it will be GP's decision.

That's just it though. No charges have been filed. Right now, it's sitting on the DA's desk while he investigates more. The potential for charges is there, but he has not been formally charged. So either 1) charges are pending or 2) MU went off half-cocked by suspending him.

Hhhmmmmmm . . . so if a week or so before the Nebraska game **someone** accuses 22 missouri starters of a felony . . .

Innocent UNTIL proven guilty - apply this to college athletics.

That's just it though. No charges have been filed. Right now, it's sitting on the DA's desk while he investigates more. The potential for charges is there, but he has not been formally charged. So either 1) charges are pending or 2) MU went off half-cocked by suspending him.

Well, there is a third possibility - the coaches have more information than has been released. Perhaps not enough to say that there is a good likelihood of charges being filed, but enough to suspend on the basis of, "Kid, you should never have put yourself in that position in the first place."

Well, there is a third possibility - the coaches have more information than has been released. Perhaps not enough to say that there is a good likelihood of charges being filed, but enough to suspend on the basis of, "Kid, you should never have put yourself in that position in the first place."

hey i seem to remember them being very very critical of andy christenson, what's good for the goose is good for the gander suck it tiggers. oh by the way, their long snapper and reserve tight end got busted for DWI as well. it will be handled "internally" which again i seem to remember them being very hard on us when that's how we announce how a problem will be handled

Washington has now been charged with sexual assault, per ESPN. What's surprising to me is that Pinkel still named him one of the team captains in July AFTER this happened. Maybe he was just going on the assumption that he was innocent. But if that's the case, then why did Pinkel suspend him before he was charged? Strange stuff. I just hope justice is served, whether he's innocent or guilty.

Washington has now been charged with sexual assault, per ESPN. What's surprising to me is that Pinkel still named him one of the team captains in July AFTER this happened. Maybe he was just going on the assumption that he was innocent. But if that's the case, then why did Pinkel suspend him before he was charged? Strange stuff. I just hope justice is served, whether he's innocent or guilty.

The article also states: "School policy says that athletes charged with a felony cannot return to the field until the case is resolved."

So now it depends on how long it takes the case to get resolved. Depending on that, Washington could be out for a short time or a very, very long time.

Here's what AD Mike Alden said about the timing:

When an issue comes to our attention we work immediately to gather information, and we work with various outside entities in an ongoing process which takes time to unfold. We move as quickly and responsibly as is appropriate, and when we have enough information to reach a conclusion on disciplinary action, we take that action. That’s what we have done in this situation.

You wouldn't want to suspend on mere allegations, but when more details come to light, then action would seem warranted or not. Initially, is was an accusation, then the girl failed to show up for a hearing. I would have thought that meant 'probably not for real'. But when the police and prosecutors bring to light more details, than the suspension occurred. Either way, it seems like we've seen the last of Derrick.

Replacement will be sophomore Kendial Lawrence, who has shown much this summer. Behind him will likely be freshman Henry Josey or fellow freshman Marcus Murphy (until De'Vione Moore's ankle is healed.

The article also states: "School policy says that athletes charged with a felony cannot return to the field until the case is resolved."

So now it depends on how long it takes the case to get resolved. Depending on that, Washington could be out for a short time or a very, very long time.

He might end up playing for The Mean Machine.

athletelongest.jpg