MU tailback Derrick Washington suspended

Sexual Assault?! Wow

That was pretty much the reaction from most everyone :o

He is screwed regardless if charges are brought. heck even if they are brought and he is innocent. That is the type of allegation that follows you around and more often than not, instead of innocent till proven guilty. Its guilty till proven innocent.

Fro, do you know any of the details? Sad to see this kid miss 2010. I feel like I've been watching him run the ball at Missouri for a decade.

Mostly what i know is in the story that josh posted. supposedly happened in June. There was an order of protection filed against him soon after. The court date was moved back at the womans request. Neither party showed at the court date for the full order of protection so is was dismissed.

Appartently thats were the story ended, until sometime this week when the case showed up on the DA's desk. From my understaning the DA is examining to see if charges will be filed. Word on the street is the woman isnt involved, and i guess doesnt need to be. When it came to light that there would be possible felony charges, Mu pulled the plug on Washington before it escalated.

It may not get to that point, but i guess better be safe than sorry.

As for as DWash. I know alot of people were really excited to see what he could do this year. He really came to camp in shape and lighter, faster than last year. He played all of last year with a torn ligiment in his knee, so he was healthy again and all reports had him on the verge of a huge season. From what i have been hearing, that depending on what comes from the DA, we are looking at 2-4 games minimum. Longer if there are charges. Most think its too early to say he has played his last down at MU, but many think he will never start again regardless of what happens from here on. He does still have his red shirt, but i dont see that coming into play unless charges are no filed.

I guess in my opinion, that if there are no charges again, he proabably is back with the team. If charges are filed I am pretty sure he will be done

He's being accused of "digital penetration" and trespassing. Accused by the alleged victim, not the city prosecutor. Digital penetration falls under "deviate sexual" violation, a Class C felony. Due to the felony status of the accusations, the University felt it had to suspend now and not wait for formal charges, if any.

He's being accused of "digital penetration" and trespassing. Accused by the alleged victim, not the city prosecutor. Digital penetration falls under "deviate sexual" violation, a Class C felony. Due to the felony status of the accusations, the University felt it had to suspend now and not wait for formal charges, if any.

Disturbing accusations, to be sure. Here's a link that confirms that the above was part of the alleged victim's accusation.

Here's the pertinent part:

At 2:30 a.m. on June 19, Washington entered the victim’s room at Campus View Apartments “unwelcome,” the order states. The victim awoke to him “digitally penetrating her.”

Washington, 21, was an acquaintance of the alleged victim and her roommate, according to a source close to the alleged victim. In court documents, the alleged victim’s relationship with Washington is listed as tutor. The source said the alleged victim graduated from MU in May and has since left the state.

I live in St. Louis. For all of the references I STILL hear from Mizzou fans about Osborne being classless for allowing Phillips to play, it will be VERY interesting if Washington somehow finds his way back in a Mizzou uniform this year. I imagine he'll be out for a long time while this thing goes through the legal system. The only hope for Mizzou fans on this is that the girl just drops her case and says she fabricated it.

I just saw the headline about this and remembered this thread. I'm shocked. This is not the type of behavior I would have expected from Washington. I will definitely see him as innocent until proven guilty. Not saying this woman is lying because I don't know... it just doesn't jive with what I've heard about Washington.

Appartently thats were the story ended, until sometime this week when the case showed up on the DA's desk. From my understaning the DA is examining to see if charges will be filed. Word on the street is the woman isnt involved, and i guess doesnt need to be. When it came to light that there would be possible felony charges, Mu pulled the plug on Washington before it escalated.

Is it a gimme that charges will be filed or is there still a chance everything is dropped?

Is it a gimme that charges will be filed or is there still a chance everything is dropped?

Very interesting. I can't help but think that MU must have known that charges were inevitable since his initial case was dropped when the woman (and he) failed to appear in court. I know the charges are hideous, but is it fair to suspend him if there are no charges and no case against him? That's why I'm thinking MU must know that charges are on their way. But that's just me thinking out loud.

I just heard on 1620 (USC) that Missouri policy is that a player must be suspended when he/she is under felony charges, and that the player must remain suspended until their case has been fully adjudicated in the civil courts. As far as I understand, there is no official charge yet, but as I just posted above, why else would MU suspend him unless they knew for certain that he was going to be presented with felony charges? Sounds like Washington will likely miss a good portion of the season. Ouch.

I just heard on 1620 (USC) that Missouri policy is that a player must be suspended when he/she is under felony charges, and that the player must remain suspended until their case has been fully adjudicated in the civil courts. As far as I understand, there is no official charge yet, but as I just posted above, why else would MU suspend him unless they knew for certain that he was going to be presented with felony charges? Sounds like Washington will likely miss a good portion of the season. Ouch.

And that's sort of what I was wondering too. The way I'm understanding it, he hasn't been formally charged.

Still a chance it can be dropped. The prosecuting attorney's office will review the case file. If there are areas that the PA feels needs additional investigation, the PA will ask the police to do that. If there aren't, then the PA will make a determination based on the current case file.

The PA will base the decison on a number of factors, but primarily whether he believes that there is sufficient evidence to obtain a conviction. If not, he probably won't file. However, as pointed out, that doesn't end it for Washington. First, most people will think he got special treatment because of his football status. Second, the woman can bring a civil suit - and as the O.J. civil action made clear, the burden of proof is a lot lower in civil court than criminal.

Washington could be completely innocent, and still be smeared for life. If he is innocent, I hope the woman comes forward and admits it (but she won't, for fear of being charged with making a false report and the possibility of a defamation suit).

this is a lose/lose. Too bad. Im on the side that leans to leave the guy alone until formal charges are brought. But thats not how the world spins, no matter the writings of the law. If something did occur tho-wow. The guy needs to be nailed....regardless of what his past is. Ya nevert know. Takes all kinds.

this is a lose/lose. Too bad. Im on the side that leans to leave the guy alone until formal charges are brought. But thats not how the world spins, no matter the writings of the law. If something did occur tho-wow. The guy needs to be nailed....regardless of what his past is. Ya nevert know. Takes all kinds.

:yeah