Assessment

Bo's assessment of the defense.

"We were an absolute embarassment on defense"

Might be a little strong, but then again, might not be.

I don't think so. There was talk about WKU being the worst team to ever come through Memorial Stadium, and definitely did not look quite that way tonight. But it's the first game of the season.

They looked a lot better after 1 game than they did last year--especially on D, if you can believe that. What I saw today were mental lapses and a lazy defensive attitude due to the team we were playing, but on the upside I saw the same ability as the team that throttled Arizona in the bowl. Did you notice that Bo wasn't blowing a gasket tonight? That should say something, yes?

I really think that the D is going to step up with the quality of our competition. Baker really looked good. I'll bet Dean is proud of him. As for the kid .....he showed a lot of poise (and moves) for a freshman qb. Keep in mind that Frazier, as great as he turned out to be, didn't show that kind of poise in his first outing.

As I said earlier, for the first time in a decade, I don't feel too nervous about this team. They're going to shape up nicely after Bo gives them the whip.

Sorry to keep quoting you but your posts ring true to me. I hope you're right about the defense and completely agree that Tmart was awesome for a freshmen in his 1st start.....totally awesome. Green looked terrific too. It's just great to have "three" capable qbs.

Another good point about Bo not going nuclear. He wasn't happy at all but for "him"....it was about as laid back as it gets.

All things considered....a GREAT day!

That's the first "whip" that I mentioned in my previous post. Bo needs to drive home what his expectations are, no matter what the level of competition. It always seemed like our D played to the level of our competition last year, so it'd be nice if he could get that corrected a little sooner this year.

This is about like our games have been the past two years under Pelini. We play vanilla defense, very little blitzing, put up massive numbers on offense, give up a few drives on defense. Of course there are things to work on. We also had the chance to play a lot of guys. I'll take 49-10 any day.

The past two years our D has hardened after the first few games. Like I figured, our middle is a little shaky, but Lavonte had a spectacular first outing. Very fast, very good tackling. Defensive line didn't overwhelm but they smacked that QB around a little. Dennard looked sharp. No one even bothered to throw Prince's way. Gomes looked good.

All in all I was satisfied with the first game. Looking around the country we're no better of or worse than a lot of the other top programs playing scrubs. You take what you can from an opponent of this caliber and get ready for next week.

Taylor looks like a serious gamer, though. Been awhile since we had a QB put up a buck thirty with his feet. No negative plays in his first outing. No huddle problems. Excellent execution of the zone-read. And his passing was above where I thought it would be. The receivers are mostly to blame for his rare incompletions.

This is about like our games have been the past two years under Pelini. We play vanilla defense, very little blitzing, put up massive numbers on offense, give up a few drives on defense. Of course there are things to work on. We also had the chance to play a lot of guys. I'll take 49-10 any day.

The past two years our D has hardened after the first few games. Like I figured, our middle is a little shaky, but Lavonte had a spectacular first outing. Very fast, very good tackling. Defensive line didn't overwhelm but they smacked that QB around a little. Dennard looked sharp. No one even bothered to throw Prince's way. Gomes looked good.

All in all I was satisfied with the first game. Looking around the country we're no better of or worse than a lot of the other top programs playing scrubs. You take what you can from an opponent of this caliber and get ready for next week.

Taylor looks like a serious gamer, though. Been awhile since we had a QB put up a buck thirty with his feet. No negative plays in his first outing. No huddle problems. Excellent execution of the zone-read. And his passing was above where I thought it would be. The receivers are mostly to blame for his rare incompletions.

Amen.

He is on target... Was at the game... D looked bad and slow, O was little better, I think its a mental thing, looking past this game. No way these guys should of pushed on our D the way they did in the third and fourth... T-mart shows a real future, I feel bad for Z Lee, but we will need long term experience to take us into the Big 10...

Off the field, new tunnel walk vid is epic fail IMO... No Epcohson vid, I understand why, but put something in its place (although that may of been the best ever), crowd out of it first half, although the helicopter with Husker stickers on it was kinda cool, and the new chair back rentals are very nice.

Yep.

I didn't see the first half due to family obligations.

I was NOT happy with the defense. I expected a lot more from the line. I felt like they were playing soft all game, very little pressure on the QB, and gave up way too many stupid yards. Those two scoring drives by WKU were awful.

Niles Paul dropped a ball. How shocking.

TMart - it's clear that nobody is in Bo's doghouse, but that Martinez earned the starting job. He looked great out there, in command and a true weapon. Not a bad game at all for a RFreshman.

Where was Roy? Seemed like Burkhead outplayed him. And what's up with DTray getting stuffed twice in the first half? I was very surprised by that.

Dumb penalties.

Overall, this did not live up to my expectations from Bo's descriptions of camp. I expected a lot more.

I was NOT happy with the defense. I expected a lot more from the line. I felt like they were playing soft all game, very little pressure on the QB, and gave up way too many stupid yards. Those two scoring drives by WKU were awful.

TMart - it's clear that nobody is in Bo's doghouse, but that Martinez earned the starting job. He looked great out there, in command and a true weapon. Not a bad game at all for a RFreshman.

Where was Roy? Seemed like Burkhead outplayed him. And what's up with DTray getting stuffed twice in the first half? I was very surprised by that.

Dumb penalties.

Overall, this did not live up to my expectations from Bo's descriptions of camp. I expected a lot more.

Bo says that because he wants effort. With the type of defense we were running tonight, we were going to give up some yards and points. We ran very, very few blizes or stunts. It was basically an easy day at the office for the WKU lineman as far as picking up what we threw at them.

Bo is likely more pissed at the effort we showed, and the lack of accountability. It's like Whaley giving up that huge run by overrunning the play, then giving up on any shot he had after. Guys were out of position, and just making mental error that will not be appreciated in film study.

On the bright side, Lavonte David is a beast. He's still learning the playbook on the fly, and is already ballin' out.

Kinnie looked much improved.

Burkhead absolutely abused that LB coming out of the backfield. Was almost comical.

Dennard will make some money for himself this year.

Taylor showed why he is electric with his feet. But again, he showed why he has a ways to go passing. WKU's secondary is a good place to build the confidence though.

--

On the downside ..

The line, once again, looked like crap. Ricky Henry was awful, and Sirles had some bad moments. Was happy to see them give ARod his chance. Barney needs to get his stuff together, instead of getting the benefit of the doubt year after year when he produces average or below-average units.

Speaking of Cotton, where was Ben?

Alonzo Whaley, Rickey Thenarse .. :facepalm:

Eric Martin needs to stay on ST, regardless of whether he plays LB.

--

Lastly, pick a damm QB already. I don't care who it is, but pick ONE guy to lead your team. This QB by committee garbage we saw tonight is retarded. And I know why it is being done, and it is simply to stroke egos of people who think they should play.

But stop, this is CFB. Pick ONE guy to lead your team, and stick with your decision for the good or the bad. If this offense develops a rhythm, let the guy keep at it. Let him build off of it, and let the offense build off it as a whole. Do not bring in another QB, who will change the playcalling, affecting the flow of the offense.

Nothing ticked me off more in this game than to see Taylor come out for a drive in the 2nd qtr, then watch the offense stall after that point for quite a while.

Either play Cody full time, or redshirt him. Wasting him for a few series a game is worthless. Even more worthless when it slows down our offense.

Dumb penalties.

Burkhead did outplay him, but each only got 5 carries, not like Helu had much of a chance to shine.

Burkhead may have the edge with his ability to catch the ball.