Winless Jacks Prepare for Nebraska

knapplc

Winless Jacks Prepare For No. 7 Huskers

BROOKINGS, SD - On the heels of its second straight defeat, the South Dakota State football team has fallen out of the FCS top 25. And that's not the direction the Jacks wanted to be headed going into this weekend's matchup with Nebraska.

Before the season kicked off, 0-2 didn't seem like an option for SDSU.

"We've been really excited to come out and show people how we're able to make plays and the kind of potential that we have. So the fact that we haven't gotten there yet, that we haven't put a game together yet, that has been frustrating," Sophomore Quarterback Thomas O'Brien said.

"We're not where we thought we'd be but when you look at the film, look at how we've played, we're where we're at because of how we've played, how we've coached. The positive is we can do better and we need to do better and we will do better," Head Coach John Stiegelmeier said.

Things are expected to get worse for the Jacks before they get better. This Saturday, SDSU will come face to face with the 7th-ranked team in the country.

"When you're little you dream about playing in front of 'X' amount, so many people. I'm just worried about our team improving. Hopefully we can improve from game two to game three and that'll be good," Senior Derek Domino said.

"I have no doubt in my mind that I'm ready. I hope my teammates are. I think most of them will be, if not all of them. It will be a tremendous opportunity that I think not only myself but all of South Dakota State University is looking forward to," Senior Kyle Minett said.

With just two offensive touchdowns and a defense that's surrendering more than 25 points through two games, head coach John Stiegelmeier says it's going to take a lot of determination and solid execution to keep things close. And he believes his team is capable of doing just that.

"I'm not saying we're going to go down and kick the heck out of the Cornhuskers. I don't think that's the case. But I know we can go down and if we're not intimidated, play our best football," Stiegelmeier said.

We need to protect Martinez...for the love of God!!! I vote he doesn't play one down in this game. Start Green and have Lee back him up....good experience and keeps them loose.

Disagree, then he would be rusty for KSUcks and take a little bit to get back up to game speed. I say he plays the 1st half and if we've got the game under control, take him out and put Green in and Lee in.