Concerns

zoogs

It appears Niles Paul plays hard when he wants. I don't think he feels like it this year.

I think our Peso defense is very susceptible to the run game. We are too dam light (weight wise). We should have played more of a 5-2 front last night.

I think the QB job should be back up for grabs. Taylor had a ton of mis-reads, one was so obvious the broadcasters noticed it and they were morons.

If I was the SDST coach I would be pissed because I would ask his team where that effort was all season.

Finally, I watched a lot of football yesterday cause I'm under the weather. I don't see any dominant team in college football right now.

Yes, Taylor did have some very noticeable misreads yesterday and bad passing, but I am still in the Martinez camp. He is still young and needs time to develop. Just the threat of his running ability alone will give D coordinators something to think about. If he can get his passing game going with some consistency, he will give D coordinators fits, and keep them up at night.

Yes, our Peso does sell out a bit to stop the pass. Running straight at us is the weakness of that type of D.

Paul and Green have not played well, Cody is still young and unsure of himself, but i see little progress at this point.....Paul is an over rated, over hyped Sr. who has no excuse, he would not even start for a lot of good teams. he can't catch and has not learned how to run with the ball safely, coaching and stubbornness on his behalf, he will not go high in the draft.

Martinez cannot read medium and deep coverages, he is only reliable throwing the ball to the outside or dump passes, that won't cut it in league play, he needs to learn to not force the ball into coverage! Wats, where the hell is the coaching??

the defensive and offensive line play was horrible, they owned no one, not even their own jock straps....pitiful, they were embarrassing to watch.

overall, this team seems to lack the hunger of last year's squad,the effort and the need to prove something is not apparent and i don't know why that is, but it is sadly apparent and obviously a problem....Suh and company were a hungry bunch, without him and some of the other overachievers (O'Hanlon and others)this bunch looks like they are just standing around.....sad.

Count me as still on the Martinez band-wagon. He did have a rough game, but still found a couple decent plays to pull out the win. And he wasn't the only player having a bad day out there -- It was rampant. At the end of the day, we notched the W. And Martinez really is something special on the ground. It won't happen all the time, but I'm pretty sure we're going to be toasting this guy quite a lot for the next 3.5 years.

Bad game guys but no harm done. Pick yourselves up and go punch KState in the jaw. GBR!!

first of all, i do have concerns about the defense. the defensive line was pitiful last night. i don't care if you are not as 'fired up' as the other team. if we really have all-american/first round draft talent on our d-line, you don't get manhandled by an FCS o-line. that was pathetic. crick has yet to prove himself. do i think he's an above average d-tackle? yes. but all-american? he hasn't proved he's all-conference yet. hope he does so against k-state.

as for the offense, its going to be fine. the heisman hype was getting to t-marts head. now hes humbled. is it scary that he cant hit a wide open receiver? very. but we'll be fine. we'll be able to put up 20+ points against good defenses this year, something we couldn't do last year. as for the offensive line, just as pathetic as the d-line yesterday. i have much more confidence in the d-line though. i dont think barney is the key to being a mean offensive line

I will say this: if Bo doesn't absolutely destroy the team for how they played tonight, we're in trouble. I think he will, but the success SDSU had is disgusting.

I talked to a couple of players last night after the game, and they said Bo didn't say much after the game. You could tell he had a lot to say, but he just reminded them of the meetings on Sunday and told them they would have a talk after conditioning. He wanted to collect his thoughts, I assume, in order to effectively give them an @$$-chewing.

OP, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

I will say this: if Bo doesn't absolutely destroy the team for how they played tonight, we're in trouble. I think he will, but the success SDSU had is disgusting.

I talked to a couple of players last night after the game, and they said Bo didn't say much after the game. You could tell he had a lot to say, but he just reminded them of the meetings on Sunday and told them they would have a talk after conditioning. He wanted to collect his thoughts, I assume, in order to effectively give them an @$$-chewing.

OP, I agree with pretty much everything you said.

actually, i think Bo is changing how he coaches and his approach with the kids.....the old Bo would have blew up right after the game and ripped a$$ right off the kids.....the new Bo is trying to understand how the kids failed to leave everything on the field and show improvement, i would also assume he is reviewing his own approach to how he coached for the game and how the assistants got the kids ready to play....you have to hold the temper and be a little introspective to improve in your approach and get the results you deserve, i think Bo knows his approach was lacking in his game preparation, not that he didn't want to excel, just that he and the staff went about it the wrong way.....i think he also knows the PESO defense is not going to carry this team alone through league play, they must adjust to plug up the middle.

Honestly I think the off week is coming at the perfect time. Bo and Wats have gotta figure out how to get things fixed before league play, they both know it too. Our defense needs to adjust to stop Thomas, maybe going to a 4-3 against KSU could be the best thing. Our offense needs to figure what we are gonna hang our hat on and go with it. What I saw last night wont get it done.

Martinez cannot read medium and deep coverages, he is only reliable throwing the ball to the outside or dump passes, that won't cut it in league play, he needs to learn to not force the ball into coverage!

This should not be a shock to people.

Everyone who called for Martinez to start and wanted him to start, should know that was what they were getting. It is only a question of does it matter, that he can't do those things, given hat he can do running the ball.

Not the coaching here, when you are talking about a redshirt freshman that spent most of last year as a scout team WR. He may be electric, but he has a long way to go as a quarterback. Of course Nebraska doesn't need that, we just need someone who's not slow...

Martinez cannot read medium and deep coverages, he is only reliable throwing the ball to the outside or dump passes, that won't cut it in league play, he needs to learn to not force the ball into coverage!

Everyone who called for Martinez to start and wanted him to start, should know that was what they were getting. It is only a question of does it matter, that he can't do those things, given hat he can do running the ball.

Not the coaching here, when you are talking about a redshirt freshman that spent most of last year as a scout team WR. He may be electric, but he has a long way to go as a quarterback. Of course Nebraska doesn't need that, we just need someone who's not slow...

Here is the problem...shouldn't one of the older guys be "developing" their talent? At this point, with the players we have gotten, shouldn't we be developing talent so we don't have to use the freshman?

That is coaching my friend.

Well, we need a qb that can lead us to more than five 1st downs a game and a 99th ranked total offense (even with a marginal sos).

I'll take the hit on Tmart's growing pains for his obvious upside.....

Here is the problem...shouldn't one of the older guys be "developing" their talent? At this point, with the players we have gotten, shouldn't we be developing talent so we don't have to use the freshman?

That is coaching my friend.

We don't have to use the freshman, we want to, because that's the kind of offense that we want to run and Bo made the call that the killer running ability of Martinez is worth it.

This is why in the offseason I said: we should start Lee, because we should be starting a talented quarterback. And many, many other responded: Lee isn't a good runner. Taylor is a good runner. Having that is more important. Bo agreed with them. It was his call, and that's what he went with. I still don't agree with the call, but I don't think it will be disastrous either - as stated, if we show up to play, I think we'll steamroll many teams this year, Texas included, whether or not the QB has his footwork down. I'm not stoked that this is the story Bo has chosen for this season, but we're down that road now and I'm hoping for the best.

On another note, with the 3-headed QB race this year, we forget how dangerously thin we really are at the quarterback position. We have Taylor and Cody who from the start were projects, that were completely raw about being a QB (footwork, mechanics, etc), from the moment they stepped on the field. Cody was a dedicated QB from the beginning, and he has made strides in all those departments. Taylor wasn't, so it's understandable that he is less far along. Then we have Lee, who, footwork or not, is clearly out of favor; Witt, who left; Spano, who no longer has healthy knees; Carnes, who is redshirting...

So some guys we get are projects and some aren't. The direction that Bo wants to turn this offense to involves getting a larger number of quarterbacks who are projects, which is how we end up with two project, athletic QBs at the top of the depth chart, and Jamal Turner as our next QB commit. They will take longer to coach up, doesn't matter how good the QB coach is, but in the meantime will rely on their athleticism. That's not my cup of tea, personally, but it's Bo's.

Well, we need a qb that can lead us to more than five 1st downs a game and a 99th ranked total offense (even with a marginal sos).

I'll take the hit on Tmart's growing pains for his obvious upside.....

Good. That's fine. But if you really are willing to take the hit on the growing pains, drop the bagging on SW, because when we struggle this year, we are going to be seeing Tmart's growing pains and not a "lack of offensive identity" as you suggest.

Good retort, zoogies.

I agree with all that you said, I just hope we settle on this offense so we can develop talent behind out starters now and recruit to it (which it seems we are now). Not often are "dual-threat" QBs polished coming out of high school. Most are raw passing the ball and they need a few years running the system in order to develop as a serviceable passer.

Martinez isn't even serviceable at this point beyond 12-15 yards, and he is barely that from 7-12 yards. I am not saying he isn't the best option, it is just unfortunate that our best option isn't very good at this point.

We had better quickly nut up on the offensive line and starting making some holes so we can use our IBs or this is going to be another long year on offense. If SDSU can scheme against us well enough to stop the running attack using slow athletes as spies, what do you think Bill Snyder's crew and Will Muschamp will do against us?