Nebraska-Oklahoma talking about possible future football series

Nexus

NORMANOklahoma and Nebraska have officials have discussed a possible future football series, perhaps in 2021, which would be the 50-year anniversary of the original Game of the Century.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne confirmed to USA Today that he has had discussions with OU, and Sooner sources said OU AD Joe Castiglione instigated the idea of a series in 2020-21 or 2021-22, with the 2021 game to be played in Norman, site of Nebraska's 35-31 victory in 1971 that remains one of the greatest college football games ever.

With Nebraska's departure to the Big Ten after this season, OU-Nebraska, once one of the sport's grandest rivalries, will go dormant, with no future games scheduled.

LINK

I wonder if the NU/OU series could turn into a long term series like what A&M and Arkansas recently agreed upon? A&M and Arkansas renewed their long lost rivalry after having not played each other from 1992-2008 when Arkansas left for the SEC. They recently signed a long term contract that guarantees 10 consecutive meetings starting in 2009 with an option to continue playing an additional 20 consecutive years after the original 10 year contract is up. The Arkansas/A&M game is played at Cowboys stadium.

I wonder if the NU/OU series could turn into a long term series like what A&M and Arkansas recently agreed upon? A&M and Arkansas renewed their long lost rivalry after having not played each other from 1992-2008 when Arkansas left for the SEC. They recently signed a long term contract that guarantees 10 consecutive meetings starting in 2009 with an option to continue playing an additional 20 consecutive years after the original 10 year contract is up. The Arkansas/A&M game is played at Cowboys stadium.

I hope so. Oklahoma was almost the only reason any of us felt even a little bad about leaving the Big 12.

I hope so. Oklahoma was almost the only reason any of us felt even a little bad about leaving the Big 12.

Seconded. I want a permanent series.

I kinda question the relevancy of a series with OU. For OU their rivalries with Texas and OSU have been more important since the big 8 expansion and OSU getting better. In the big 10 we will have two automatic rivalry games with Iowa and Penn State. It may be fun for the old timers but other than that what's the value for either team? I'd be much more excited to see K-State or KU be consistently good and have that for a non-conference rivalry so we could actually go to the away games without taking a vacation.

I kinda question the relevancy of a series with OU. For OU their rivalries with Texas and OSU have been more important since the big 8 expansion and OSU getting better. In the big 10 we will have two automatic rivalry games with Iowa and Penn State. It may be fun for the old timers but other than that what's the value for either team? I'd be much more excited to see K-State or KU be consistently good and have that for a non-conference rivalry so we could actually go to the away games without taking a vacation.

yeah, Dr. Tom would be in his 80's? if you werent born before 1960, you wouldn't have a clue. I have heard that Minnesota-Nebraska used to be a big rivalry and Minnesota has like 6 National Championships way back when???doesnt exactly have me jonesin for meeting them every year in the big 10 now...the good ole days when NU and Minnesota meant something..I wasnt alive!

Exactly.

I hope this happens. It would be a small consolation to losing OU as a rival to the Big12, but I like to play OU. NU not playing OU is one of the worst things to happen to college football. It was one of 2 or 3 of the games everyone in the country had to see in the 70's and 80's. Maybe that dosent matter anymore to anyone and maybe Im too nostalgic, but it matters to me.

I blame Bob Stoops for the loss of NU OU and believe it is gone forever, but I think this would be good and it needs to be locked down now.

Just because you youngsters grew up in an era where we didn't play OU every year doesn't mean most Husker fans don't remember that series fondly. You guys too young to remember those games are in the minority.

And while it's true that the RRR is a bigger game for Oklahoma, it's also true that they LOVE them some Nebraska, too. I talked to a ton of their fans this last fall when they were here and every single one of them was clear about how much they miss the every-year game with us.

We don't have to be Oklahoma's #1 Rival to have a good series with them. Until the last 15 years, the RRR game was just for show - not a lot on the line, and Texas more often than not wasn't a great team against OU. The most impactful game the Sooners played most every year was against NU, for the Big 8 title and a trip to the Orange Bowl. Believe me, they remember those days fondly.

I hope this happens. It would be a small consolation to losing OU as a rival to the Big12, but I like to play OU. NU not playing OU is one of the worst things to happen to college football. It was one of 2 or 3 of the games everyone in the country had to see in the 70's and 80's. Maybe that dosent matter anymore to anyone and maybe Im too nostalgic, but it matters to me.

I blame Bob Stoops for the loss of NU OU and believe it is gone forever, but I think this would be good and it needs to be locked down now.

Why does Stoops get the blame? He wasn't even OU's coach when the Big 12 formed. The OU AD made the decision not to continue the rivalry on a yearly basis about 5 years before Stoops was hired.

Why does Stoops get the blame? He wasn't even OU's coach when the Big 12 formed. The OU AD made the decision not to continue the rivalry on a yearly basis about 5 years before Stoops was hired.

I remember quotes from Stoops regarding cross division rivals as being "well does TX have to play NU every year". He also has said there is no reason to be playing quality opponents in non-con games. It may very well be the AD's blame, but I enjoy blaming Stoops.

I remember quotes from Stoops regarding cross division rivals as being "well does TX have to play NU every year". He also has said there is no reason to be playing quality opponents in non-con games. It may very well be the AD's blame, but I enjoy blaming Stoops.

I know the exact quote you're talking about, but it wasn't a diss towards Nebraska. His reason was valid from a strength of schedule standpoint.

I know the exact quote you're talking about, but it wasn't a diss towards Nebraska. His reason was valid from a strength of schedule standpoint.

I guess a person could read different things into the quote and I see your point. I took it as Stoops quite casually dismissing the tradition of NU OU. I hate Stoops.