Running QB vs Passing QB vs Dual Threat QB

Fuzzy

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a theory, that has to do with age range and how long people have been a fan of the Nebraska Cornhuskers. It is my theory that older in age fans and people that have been fans for a long time are tending towards a QB that can run for TD rather than pass for TD. It is also my theory that fans that younger or haven't been following Husker football for more than 10 - 15 years are more into wanting to see a Passing QB or Dual Threat QB.

We will see if my census is right or wrong. I will explain later my theory behind this. I have class in the morning.

Prediction: Within 10 posts, this thread will be this:

dedhoarse

edit: I guess I should answer - born in 1987, can remember following the team since 1993, and I favor "dual-threat" QB, but lean towards running QB. I kind of feel like any running QB is a dual-threat QB, but maybe when you say "dual-threat" you're only talking about guys like Michael Vick, who are NFL-capable passers.

but maybe when you say "dual-threat" you're only talking about guys like Michael Vick, who are NFL-capable passers.

Dual Threat i mean anyone who can run and pass on a college level. Vick did both in college but then just ran in NFL. I seem to remember a video based on Ocean's Eleven but with sport convicts and wrongdoers and Vick is suppose to pull the pin of a grenade and throw it, instead he pulls the pin and scrambles. Everyone in the room shouted "Don't scramble throw it!"

Time again the NFL proves that running QB's just can't cut it in the pros, you either have to be a passer who can run or a passer, you can't be a running QB and make it in the pros.

but maybe when you say "dual-threat" you're only talking about guys like Michael Vick, who are NFL-capable passers.

Dual Threat i mean anyone who can run and pass on a college level. Vick did both in college but then just ran in NFL. I seem to remember a video based on Ocean's Eleven but with sport convicts and wrongdoers and Vick is suppose to pull the pin of a grenade and throw it, instead he pulls the pin and scrambles. Everyone in the room shouted "Don't scramble throw it!"

Time again the NFL proves that running QB's just can't cut it in the pros, you either have to be a passer who can run or a passer, you can't be a running QB and make it in the pros.

So, by your definition, does Tommie Frazier count as a dual-threat, or a running QB? What about Turner Gill?

I think the QB needs to be able to pass decently. Like someone pointed out in a different thread, Martinez isn't behind one of the best offensive lines in history. We're not going to end up averaging 7-8 yards per carry (or whatever crazy number it was in 1995). I thought he looked really good passing against Washington, and then really bad against SDS. Hopefully the good passing is the norm.

So, by your definition, does Tommie Frazier count as a dual-threat, or a running QB? What about Turner Gill?

I know you're not asking me, but I didn't consider Frazier a dual-threat. He was smart and awesome at running. They ran it so dang good that the receivers were usually open by 5-15 yards on playaction and if I remember correctly he had 51% accuracy. He basically just had to throw it to the correct third of the field. (I'm not saying he didn't have awesome throwing plays, like the whole last drive against FSU. Just that usually he didn't need to be good at passing and a lot of times he wasn't).

Gill was definitely dual-threat. Tommie is borderline but when it came to clutchtime dude could definitely pass.

I think the QB needs to be able to pass decently. Like someone pointed out in a different thread, Martinez isn't behind one of the best offensive lines in history. We're not going to end up averaging 7-8 yards per carry (or whatever crazy number it was in 1995). I thought he looked really good passing against Washington, and then really bad against SDS. Hopefully the good passing is the norm.

Nebraska is currently 4th in the nation for Rushing Offense averaging 7.03 yds per carry/309.25 per game.

Nebraska is currently 4th in the nation for Rushing Offense averaging 7.03 yds per carry/309.25 per game.

The key part of my quote is "We're not going to end up" and I put that there because I know we're averaging that now, against horrible defenses. I highly doubt that our average will be over 6 at the end but I'll be happy it is. We still have some bad defenses to play, though.

Well, you got me pegged.

Being the old geezer that I am as a little kid I remember big Frank Patrick at qb....he looked like a giant out there. Then watching Murtaugh make about a 1,000 tackles in a row. My fondest memory is standing in the (as always) cheap seats in the end zone and being in total awe how TOTAL quiet the stadium would get right before the opponent would punt to the Jet. Quiet as a mouse but the electricity in the air was overwhelming.

Yepper, I love seeing the BigRedMachine run the ball. TO got tired of OU beating us every year and decided to fight fire with fire and the next thing you know we're playing smashmouth/option with Gill, Rozier & Fryer and a true pipeline. I was at the 82 game and watched NU kick OU's butt. What a game. I was also at the last Big8 game vs OU in 95 and we ran all over them.

I know I'll get laughed at but imo there's something MUCH more humiliating to an opponent's defense about being run over for a TD. It just takes the wind right out of a defense. Getting stung by a passing drive and score hurts but getting run over hurts much, much more. That's why I back Bo's decision to go with an offensive run first qb. I offer zero proof of this, just my empirical observation through the years.

Your QB has to be able to throw the ball effectively. Give me a dual threat over any of the other types of QB. You can’t just have a statue back there and you can’t have a guy that can’t throw the ball. We all saw what happens when you have an outstanding runner that is zero threat in the passing game when Lord was the QB. You have to be able to at least put the fear of completing passes in the minds of the defense.

Here are 3 examples one from each style of QB. Tell me which one you would take if you were starting a team (don’t take class into consideration, assume they are all in the same year of college).

Josh Nesbitt (great runner but his passing is terrible 39% completion)

Ryan Mallett (great passer but a statue in the backfield and zero threat to run the ball)

Cam Newton (928 yards passing 65% 12-4 (TD-Int) & 474 yards rushing 6.2YPC, 5 TD)

• Fire 1