My Texas Thoughts

EZ-E

I am hearing that Texas Defense is going to try to take away Martinez ability to run, taking a page from South Dakota. They think they have an opportunity to win if they make Martinez pass the ball.

The problem during that game wasn't so much SDSU shutting down the run game as much as it was the players shooting themselves in the foot. The players took that game for granted and tried to make things happen and it backfired.

Personally, I don't see this game being very close. I see the Nebraska players putting out 110% effort during this game.

Hahahah stupid corn aggy nub...oh sorry, I thought I was still on shaggybevo. They have quite the football conversations over there. Very civil. I agree with you about our players giving full effort, but I think they give it their all too. I think it will be a relatively close game until the fourth quarter and then we will pull away.

I think the Blackshirts will have the right perspective and focus coming into this game, and the coaches aren't letting them downplay just how effective Gilbert can be.

Bo: Gilbert won't get frazzled

Posted by: Steve Sipple on October 12, 2010 at 1:08PM CST

Mack Brown heaped praise on Taylor Martinez on Monday.

Tuesday, Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini basically returned the favor, describing Texas quarterback Garrett Gilbert as "an outstanding player."

"He has a big arm, and makes good decisions," Pelini said of the 6-foot-4, 215-pound sophomore.

What's more, Pelini said, Gilbert probably won't become frazzled by the scene Saturday in Memorial Stadium, having played all but five snaps from scrimmage in last year's BCS national championship game. He was 15-for-40 passing for 186 yards and two touchdowns. He struggled early in the game, but in the second half, he was 11-for-24 for 162 yards and both TDs.

"He went in the national championship game on a pretty big stage and played really well," Pelini said. "I think he's going to be a really good player for a lot of years to come."

That said, Gilbert doesn't run the ball as well as last year's Texas starter, Colt McCoy.

"They don't run this quarterback as much," Pelini said. "But I know this: He's capable of running. He's showed it on film."

We've seen how well our D responds to the challenges presented by top-shelf QBs. So I love seeing this from Pelini. No doubt our boys will be ready for Texas' offense, and IMO that's ultimately what's gonna win this game.

UCLA HAMMERED Texas and ran the ball with some consistancy. They did not run all over Texas like the common misconseption has been. But they did have success running the football.

IMO, when you are facing a defense with athletes the caliber of Texas', and they know you are basically running every single play (8 pass attempts the entire game) yet you have two rushers averaging six yards per carry... that's about as close you as you will ever come to running all over Texas. Last season, (Heisman trophy winner) Ingram and Richardson both ran for less YPC than UCLA's backup.