My Texas Thoughts

EZ-E

Comparing scores or comparing games are useless. There are so many variables that go into each game that doing so only gives you about a 5% idea of what MAY happen.

With that said...

Looking at the full body of work for Texas this year, their offense has really struggled. Their running game has flopped again and their o-line just isn't very good (did Mack forget to recruit o-line?) and they don't have much depth due to some injuries. Sounds familiar. The only thing that Texas does okay is throwing the ball, which plays into Nebraska's strength on defense. I would be surprised if Texas scores more than 17 points.

I still like their defense though. I think they have very athletic players (duh), but they are playing out of position or being undisciplined. This can be seen in all of their games they played so far, but especially when the team they are against is running the option. Rice had some success on the zone read and UCLA ran consistently out of the Pistol. Hopefully our offense can catch them during these moments a few times during the game and make some big plays that eventually lead to points. I am still not sold on our offense or Watson and I don't really see us scoring over 14 to 17 points.

This game will be close. I would be amazed if either team won by more than seven to 10 points.

I see the game as being very close. I just hope these fumbles that we keep having don't become an issue because against Texas, if we fumble or turn the ball over, we will lose. Also, a lot is going to be asked of our defense as I don't think the offense will be able to run all over the Texas D like we have against Washington and K. State. I have a terrible feeling about this game and I hope we don't get too pumped for the game and come out making mistakes. If we play mistake free football, I think we can win but if we turn the ball over, look for a loss.

GO BIG RED!

PS I'd also like to see us run the backs more instead of T-Magic taking the ball so much. So far, he's been exceptional but if we can pound the football a bit with our backs, I think he can get free on some big runs and maybe break it open. We need to keep the Texas D guessing.

I am hearing that Texas Defense is going to try to take away Martinez ability to run, taking a page from South Dakota. They think they have an opportunity to win if they make Martinez pass the ball.

The problem during that game wasn't so much SDSU shutting down the run game as much as it was the players shooting themselves in the foot. The players took that game for granted and tried to make things happen and it backfired.

Personally, I don't see this game being very close. I see the Nebraska players putting out 110% effort during this game.

I am hearing that Texas Defense is going to try to take away Martinez ability to run, taking a page from South Dakota. They think they have an opportunity to win if they make Martinez pass the ball.

This is why I think Helu has a big day. He's always been money against the toughest defenses, and UT will be focused on stopping Martinez. Our TE's matched against their LB's and Safeties should also get us some big plays. Kyler Reed against Blake Gideon is a TD for us.

The problem during that game wasn't so much SDSU shutting down the run game as much as it was the players shooting themselves in the foot. The players took that game for granted and tried to make things happen and it backfired.

Personally, I don't see this game being very close. I see the Nebraska players putting out 110% effort during this game.

Exactly. South Dakota State usually had two spies on Martinez, which is an incredibly stupid gameplan - except that Martinez, instead of handing the ball off when he should have in the zone read, kept trying to keep it himself and make big plays. If Texas tries to take away Martinez in the zone read, that's fine - because that gives Helu or Burkhead an opening. If they try to take away both the QB and the RB, they're going to leave some holes in their pass coverage. They have to pick their poison. And no matter how they gameplan, if Nebraska executes its offense, there will be a point where Texas takes a wrong step and Martinez will make them pay.

You can't use competitive scores, it's all about matchups, tendencies, strengths v. weaknesses. And I have a feeling that with 2 weeks to prepare, tu will be ready and will show some wrinkles that we have yet to see.

doubt it. i got to believe they showed everything they had against OU. they still will be very well prepared, but BO and the coaches will know what they are up against.

Texas is not ranked. They are rebuilding. We are perceived to win in a landslide. This is their Super Bowl.

Reminds me of ...

We must show up and produce to beat this team in any fashion.

SheepdogMark

jeebus the whole team had the flu - why don't you dig up some footage of that texass squad being trampled by penn st in the fiesta?

I think we know that kind of transitive logic is pretty invalid in college football, especially since they've had 2 weeks to prepare.

Although I think it comes down to how well Texas defends the zone read, and if Martinez keeps playing Houdini with it, we should be able to run with consistency.

:bigredn: HUSKER PRIDE...NATION WIDE!! :bigredn:

I am here in Austin flying my Husker Flag, and a lot of Horns fans are letting me know that I am #1. (wish they wouldn't use their middle finger when they do <_< )

I think if we spread the ball around, and use play action we will move the ball on their defense. They really struggle on offense and have difficulty being consistent I don't think they will be able to put many points on the board.

South Dakota did not stack the box. There are pictures on HI to prove that wrong. Washington tried to stack it on the first play of the second half and TMart showed them that it was not a good idea. When you stack the box, one move will send him through to the house.

I see the game as being very close. I just hope these fumbles that we keep having don't become an issue because against Texas, if we fumble or turn the ball over, we will lose. Also, a lot is going to be asked of our defense as I don't think the offense will be able to run all over the Texas D like we have against Washington and K. State. I have a terrible feeling about this game and I hope we don't get too pumped for the game and come out making mistakes. If we play mistake free football, I think we can win but if we turn the ball over, look for a loss.

GO BIG RED!

PS I'd also like to see us run the backs more instead of T-Magic taking the ball so much. So far, he's been exceptional but if we can pound the football a bit with our backs, I think he can get free on some big runs and maybe break it open. We need to keep the Texas D guessing.

With a zone read, the QB picks whether to hand the ball off or keep the ball, he's going to do whichever gives the best option at the time. It's not a specific play call to the backs or qb.

GO BIG RED!

With a zone read, the QB picks whether to hand the ball off or keep the ball, he's going to do whichever gives the best option at the time. It's not a specific play call to the backs or qb.

Oh, I understand that. I played football in high school and in college back in 2000. I understand how it works but I guess I should be more specific in saying I'd like to see more power football. We have 2 excellent tail backs that can help the QB and our passing game. I worry about Martinez getting hurt and then our offense being upside down as I don't feel like Zac nor Cody can run the offense like it's currently ran.

I think Texas is going to be so focused on stopping big plays that they'll be a little soft and we can exploit that. More carries for Roy and Rex, and a lot of play action and roll outs. Taylor will get some carries just to keep the defense honest if nothing else, but I think we see some of our other playmakers step up and carry the load this week, especially Rex (getting those tough yards between the tackles and slipping out for short passes) and McNeill (coming off blocks for passes on the play action and roll outs).