Letter to Students from Tom

Dear Husker fans,

Saturday’s game is a great opportunity for each of us to display the pride we have for Nebraska football. As an integral part of our team, we need your support to give us the best home field-advantage possible. We hope you will blanket the stadium in red, be loud and support your Huskers. Equally important, however, is providing evidence to support Nebraskans’ reputation for treating our opponents well. Please be courteous, responsible and respectful of your neighbors and all players, coaches and fans. Only positive comments are appropriate in both word and print. Let’s enjoy a great game and show our Husker pride through respectful behavior.

Best wishes,Tom Osborne

• Fire 1

The students will be out of control. I talked to a kid in class today that is getting in line thursday night after the pep rally.

Which is why they put the students in the back corner of the stadium, probably. While our students are the best ever - our girls are the fairest and our boys are the squarest - students tend to get a little more rowdy than the blue hairs.

Although when I was a student back in the Middle Ages we never, ever were "too rowdy." That's why they let us down near the field on the sidelines.

The students will be out of control. I talked to a kid in class today that is getting in line thursday night after the pep rally.

Which is why they put the students in the back corner of the stadium, probably. While our students are the best ever - our girls are the fairest and our boys are the squarest - students tend to get a little more rowdy than the blue hairs.

Although when I was a student back in the Middle Ages we never, ever were "too rowdy." That's why they let us down near the field on the sidelines.

Let me rephrase, when I say out of control, I dont mean being idiots and making total jackasses out of ourselves. Of course there will be the chosen ones, but I do not think that really reciprocates to getting put in the corner. The UNL student section is mild at worst compared to a majority of other major football colleges.

Seems the assumption from most of the older folks is that if they see a college student cheering for their team in the form of ridiculously loud shouting, even that which is not directed at an opposing team, than he or she is immediately stereotyped as an out of control idiot, upto no good college student. I understand that there are those who have ruined that for the rest of us, but open your eyes a little to the situation.

What makes that different than any of the other stadiums in the country, who do put their students near the sidelines?

Plus the students were moved because they stand on the bleachers and people behind them couldn't see.

Does security even try to get the students to stop standing on them anymore? I sit in East Stadium and there hasn't been a single time that we've been told to get off of them. However, when I sat in South Stadium, we were constantly told to get off of them, but stood back on the seats as soon as they left :horns2

Let me rephrase, when I say out of control, I dont mean being idiots and making total jackasses out of ourselves. Of course there will be the chosen ones, but I do not think that really reciprocates to getting put in the corner. The UNL student section is mild at worst compared to a majority of other major football colleges.

Seems the assumption from most of the older folks is that if they see a college student cheering for their team in the form of ridiculously loud shouting, even that which is not directed at an opposing team, than he or she is immediately stereotyped as an out of control idiot, upto no good college student. I understand that there are those who have ruined that for the rest of us, but open your eyes a little to the situation.

You kids get off my lawn!!!

Seriously, I'm not 100 years old. :) I'm not saying I agree with it - in fact, I don't - I'm just saying why they're doing it.

And frankly, I don't think it'll be an issue. I would be 100% stunned if anything bad happened. We're not a bunch of soccer hooligans. We're good people. We're just riled up for this game.

I'm actually a little surprised that Tom & Bo have come out like this. I hope they're just being ultra-cautious.