What We Learned this Week

Husker_x

I don't really like to write stuff when I'm half-drunk, but Texas brings out the best in me.

What we learned this week was the answer to a question I've been asking myself for half the season. This year has felt like a dream. Watch the Flying Huskers romp and stomp their competition just like in '95. But like all deals with the devil, when you sell your soul for a redshirt freshman, nothing is ever as it seems. Our offense was good. Too good. Some part of me wanted to believe in this offense, but brothers and sisters, friends, in case you haven't checked the politics forum, I'm a skeptic. My head knew. We all knew. But I trusted my heart. Mistake.

The national championship dream is over. And now that we're awake, like all dreams it seems strange now that we ever believed it was real. Dead last in the nation in fumbling. How did we not see it? Freshman quarterback underthrowing receivers left and right against junk teams like Washington and K-state. How could you think it would be better against Texas?

And like a dream places you naked in public, our 2010 Huskers revealed all their weaknesses in one pathetic display. Turnovers, penalties, weak offensive line, terrible receiving corps (which, by the way, means it's long past time Gilmore's dead weight corpse was dropped form the wagon), average defensive line, and an O-coordinator....more on that in a moment.

I'm very disappointed. That goes without saying. We've learned that the difference between this year and last year is that our offense is every bit as sloppy and unpredictable as it's been, and that our defense has lost strength without Suh. We may win a lot of games this year, but until it all comes together, forget anything spectacular.

Now for Watson. I teeter and totter off and on the Fire Watson bandwagon. It's hard to make a determination off of one game. But it gets easier when you consider 0 games. That is, 0 games of impressive offense against anything resembling a top 10 defense. What I wish is this: in 08, when Bo was hired, when it all began again, I wish we would have started over with the offense, too, and taken our lumps. I believe he's holding us back. With Cotton and Gilmore, I see no reason to think we're going to move forward. I leave it at that.

Watson's offense has put our team in position to win plenty of games (note: this is different than actually winning), but we've fallen short. Where the blame falls for this? I don't know. Maybe it is Watson, maybe it's the players, maybe it's someone else, hell, maybe it's Bo. I have no opinion at this time.

[/uselesspost]

I don't really like to write stuff when I'm half-drunk, but Texas brings out the best in me.

What we learned this week was the answer to a question I've been asking myself for half the season. This year has felt like a dream. Watch the Flying Huskers romp and stomp their competition just like in '95. But like all deals with the devil, when you sell your soul for a redshirt freshman, nothing is ever as it seems. Our offense was good. Too good. Some part of me wanted to believe in this offense, but brothers and sisters, friends, in case you haven't checked the politics forum, I'm a skeptic. My head knew. We all knew. But I trusted my heart. Mistake.

The national championship dream is over. And now that we're awake, like all dreams it seems strange now that we ever believed it was real. Dead last in the nation in fumbling. How did we not see it? Freshman quarterback underthrowing receivers left and right against junk teams like Washington and K-state. How could you think it would be better against Texas?

And like a dream places you naked in public, our 2010 Huskers revealed all their weaknesses in one pathetic display. Turnovers, penalties, weak offensive line, terrible receiving corps (which, by the way, means it's long past time Gilmore's dead weight corpse was dropped form the wagon), average defensive line, and an O-coordinator....more on that in a moment.

I'm very disappointed. That goes without saying. We've learned that the difference between this year and last year is that our offense is every bit as sloppy and unpredictable as it's been, and that our defense has lost strength without Suh. We may win a lot of games this year, but until it all comes together, forget anything spectacular.

Now for Watson. I teeter and totter off and on the Fire Watson bandwagon. It's hard to make a determination off of one game. But it gets easier when you consider 0 games. That is, 0 games of impressive offense against anything resembling a top 10 defense. What I wish is this: in 08, when Bo was hired, when it all began again, I wish we would have started over with the offense, too, and taken our lumps. I believe he's holding us back. With Cotton and Gilmore, I see no reason to think we're going to move forward. I leave it at that.

Many of us saw it this year, and said it. We were labelled as negative and debbie downers and told to go away.

Welcome to reality everyone, now is not the time to over-react. Our realistic thoughts to start the year were a Big 12 title and BCS game. The loss today does NOT take that away from those goals.

I don't think that you can lay this defeat on Watson from a play calling angle. If you want to lay it at his feet because at the end of the day he is responsible for the offenses overall performance on the field, you have a better argument. Fact of the matter was that the plays called - for the most part- put NU in a position to move the ball and to score, but the Huskers did not, could not and seemingly refused to capitalize on them. Maybe a few too many zone reads called overall and a couple questionable 3rd and long play calls, but otherwise I think that game was planned and called pretty well.

I am not surprised by this choke. It's typical. We played a decent Arizona team last season. Since then it's been a bunch of ragtags and overachievers (ksu). Finally played a team with talent across the board and we have no answer. Our D was ok. Our offense was it's typical frustrating self.

I question a lot of playcalling but you know watson in the first half called plays that had recievers wide open and they continued to just drop the ball. Rex was wide open. Niles had a step. Niles dropped one in the endzone. Niles had one thrown behind him wide open. Kinnie had a step...the list was incredible. I'm still not a watson fan but jeez what are you supposed to call? This is the old TO teams with great running but recievers with no fingers.

Watson's offense has put our team in position to win plenty of games (note: this is different than actually winning), but we've fallen short. Where the blame falls for this? I don't know. Maybe it is Watson, maybe it's the players, maybe it's someone else, hell, maybe it's Bo. I have no opinion at this time.

It's the inability to adapt that has pushed me over the edge. How long did it take him to figure out Martinez wasn't reading right out of the zone read and that Texas pretty much had our zone read covered to perfection? Almost 3 quarters? He's been guilty of that type of thing ever since he's been here.

But it's not just him. Our O-line is still pretty inconsistent, but I have less of a problem with them than I do our WR. Holy .... I'm just tired of drops - it's time for the WR coach to go for sure, no matter what.

The o-line wasn't that bad this game. T-Mart was making bad reads and showing his age. I don't think this should be Wats swan song though. We were put in position to win.

I do believe we should toss Gilmore and (dare I say it) Ek. The dude is cool personally, but the one LB we have on the field is not because of Ek's coaching but because of his instincts.

The o-line wasn't that bad this game. T-Mart was making bad reads and showing his age. I don't think this should be Wats swan song though. We were put in position to win.

I do believe we should toss Gilmore and (dare I say it) Ek. The dude is cool personally, but the one LB we have on the field is not because of Ek's coaching but because of his instincts.

The defense gets no blame for this. Our special teams and offense gave Texas so many easy scores it was unbelievable.