Why do we continue to run Dime D?

It's a lot like offense, defenses can be one-dimensional too. We're built to stop the spread, and as much of a defensive genius Pelini is, it might just be catching up with us. The fact of the matter is, we struggle mightily to stop the run, and saying it's anything other than the fact that our "linebackers" (David, Whaley, and Hagg*) are undersized would be pretty foolish at this point. We got spoiled in rush D last year with Suh in the middle and Dillard at the second level, and as much as it pains me to say, I think our coaching staff is taking that for granted.

I'm confident that they can clean this up, it just might be a little more difficult with Bo being HC rather than DC.

Just a small side note here - we play Okie Lite this week, and their offensive style is the reason we run the dime and peso. Obviously they have a better RB than most spread offenses, so we must be ready for Hunter. But, the fact remains - the Cowboys run a spread attack and we've all seen the benefit of the dime and peso against that.

Let me reiterate, 4 for 14 and 4 for 16. This is what we did to two passing quarterbacks in pass-heavy offenses. We put them in lots of 3rd and Long situations and let them convert some we due to bad tackling. This is bend but don't break football. We shouldn't have allowed as many as we did, but our play by a select few allowed it. We shut down their entire passing game and almost all of their yards came on yards after catch. They were throwing screens and 2-yard gains for the 4 completions I saw. 1 breakdown or it would have been 3 for 14 against Washington. This defense is fine, why are you ragging on it? We'll need to adjust for teams like Wisconsin and perhaps Iowa. Bo knows how to do this and will manage. We are running what we should. Remember what we did to Daniel Thomas?

When do people start to question the coaching ability of Ekeler? The development of the LB’s just hasn’t been there. Dillard shined last year in spite of Ekeler’s coaching. Remember he sat until it was obvious that Ekeler’s boys Fisher and Compton weren’t getting it done. David making plays this year is all because of his freakish athletic ability. Whaley, Martin, May, T.O.’s boy Kreikemeier, when are they going to develop? I know Fisher and Compton were/are hurt but they have put nothing on tape that would say if they were playing right now are defensive strategies would be any different.

FWIW: Check out the roster and look at the list of LB’s. It is a rag-tag bunch of walk-ons and former FB’s. There is a reason Gomes is playing in place of those LB’s.

When do people start to question the coaching ability of Ekeler? The development of the LB’s just hasn’t been there. Dillard shined last year in spite of Ekeler’s coaching. Remember he sat until it was obvious that Ekeler’s boys Fisher and Compton weren’t getting it done. David making plays this year is all because of his freakish athletic ability. Whaley, Martin, May, T.O.’s boy Kreikemeier, when are they going to develop? I know Fisher and Compton were/are hurt but they have put nothing on tape that would say if they were playing right now are defensive strategies would be any different.

FWIW: Check out the roster and look at the list of LB’s. It is a rag-tag bunch of walk-ons and former FB’s. There is a reason Gomes is playing in place of those LB’s.

I was just thinking this the other day too, and I think it boils down to Ekeler just being a fan favorite because of his demeanor.