Decision to Bench Taylor

Taylor is the one-trick pony, though. I think it was abundantly apparent that there were going to be no quick strikes from him in that game. Just like if the Tennessee Titans are down big, they aren't going to simply ride Chris Johnson to make their comeback.

Taylor missed some reads, and missed some throws. However, even when he made the correct read, the defense was selling out on the run, and there was no place to go. He also made several very good throws that were dropped.

Does Taylor have room to improve? Yes. Was he the reason we lost this game? Not even remotely close.

And he's still the guy that gives this offense its best shot at success.

The WR corps played like garbage and I really wonder why they continued to run the zone-read with Lee. Zac is no threat the break that play by keeping the ball so the D doesn't really have to be concerned about defending him on the keep. If you leave Martinez in, maybe the WRs catch a ball or two and you still keep that game-breaking element that Taylor possesses with his feet.

Poorly coached, poorly executed gameplan.

I agree but then again I'm no coach so...

Does Taylor have room to improve? Yes. Was he the reason we lost this game? Not even remotely close.

Oh, please. Did you even watch the game? TMart consistently made poor decisions regarding the zone read. He isn't the sole reason we lost, and some caught passes would have changed a lot of things, but he was doing our run game no favors

Oh, please. Did you even watch the game? TMart consistently made poor decisions regarding the zone read. He isn't the sole reason we lost, and some caught passes would have changed a lot of things, but he was doing our run game no favors

He wasn't making the right reads true, but his passing was on point but hey he can't catch it too. He should've had 2 or 3 passing TD's then the run game would've come alive.

Why don't we bring in lee and Martinez at the same time and run the wildcat... Both should line up like they are going to take the snap. Thus the defense has to run a scheme that defends either... If the load the box we snap it to lee and he can either hand it off to Martinez to run or kill it with his arm... If they play 7 or 8 in the box and drop a guy back then Martinez gets the snap and kills it with his legs or a quick pass to the outside. That way the defense has to play to both...

And he's still the guy that gives this offense its best shot at success.

I think Martinez gives the offense the best shot at a quick score, but not necessarily the best shot at success. I think that we have a very talented offensive crew that could see a similar or possibly even greater amount of success even without a super talented runner as quarterback. Although he has accounted for much of the offense to this point and the offense seems to be "built" around him thus far, Burkhead and Helu have, in my opinion, more than enough talent to carry this team on the ground. Through the air, Lee or Green passing to Kinnie or McNeil or Reed (or even Niles Paul every now and again) would definitely keep defenses honest (that is of course assuming we never, ever have another repeat of the stone hands fest we saw Saturday).

I guess I'm saying that things on the offensive side of the ball were - on paper - looking pretty darn good after the bowl game last year when Martinez wasn't even really on the radar. His being here has definitely added another threat, but our quiver wasn't empty and wouldn't be empty without him.

That said, you (and everyone else who's said it) are correct - the loss to Texas is not solely due to Martinez's performance on Saturday.

He wasn't making the right reads true, but his passing was on point but hey he can't catch it too. He should've had 2 or 3 passing TD's then the run game would've come alive.

He wasn't making the right reads AND his passing wasn't on point. But, it was pretty solid on that throw to Burkhead that was dropped. That looked right on the money. The one to Paul, looks like he could have kept it on the outside shoulder as opposed making Paul turn inside. But other than that, his throws were very scattered and usually behind.

None of this means Taylor lost the game, because if we made a few of those plays, would have been a very different game. Taylor could have been this shaky in the passing game, and we still could have won with better receiving play. Where I disagree with Hercules is the part where Taylor gives the O the best chance to succeed. I am definitely seeing a WORLD of possibility with the way we are going on offense, but this year, right now, stylistic preferences aside, I think Lee gives us the best chance to win, not caring how flashy or how many rushing records are broken. We might not have enjoyed the KSU and Wash wins quite as much with Lee, but we wouldn't have these vulnerabilities that need to be overcome either. Then again, we'd have other issues, so in the end it's all opinion and judgment calls.

He wasn't making the right reads AND his passing wasn't on point. But, it was pretty solid on that throw to Burkhead that was dropped. That looked right on the money. The one to Paul, looks like he could have kept it on the outside shoulder as opposed making Paul turn inside. But other than that, his throws were very scattered and usually behind.

None of this means Taylor lost the game, because if we made a few of those plays, would have been a very different game. Taylor could have been this shaky in the passing game, and we still could have won with better receiving play. Where I disagree with Hercules is the part where Taylor gives the O the best chance to succeed. I am definitely seeing a WORLD of possibility with the way we are going on offense, but this year, right now, stylistic preferences aside, I think Lee gives us the best chance to win, not caring how flashy or how many rushing records are broken.

i completely agree with you. i like t-mart, i do not blame him for the loss (we should have won, even with his sub-par game), and i think he can be an excellent qb, but he needs to mature (mentally and physically. i think he puts the ball on the ground so much because of his size. you cannot have a qb on the field that is as likely to fumble as he is not to fumble). i think lee should start. first, i think he is a better game manager. second, i think a pro style offense (with i-formations and shotgun) better suits this offense and allows all of our playmakers to shine. third, martinez should still get his reps and experience. lee played with confidence and commanded the offense, martinez needs more time to develop. just my opinion.

None of this means Taylor lost the game, because if we made a few of those plays, would have been a very different game. Taylor could have been this shaky in the passing game, and we still could have won with better receiving play. Where I disagree with Hercules is the part where Taylor gives the O the best chance to succeed. I am definitely seeing a WORLD of possibility with the way we are going on offense, but this year, right now, stylistic preferences aside, I think Lee gives us the best chance to win, not caring how flashy or how many rushing records are broken. We might not have enjoyed the KSU and Wash wins quite as much with Lee, but we wouldn't have these vulnerabilities that need to be overcome either. Then again, we'd have other issues, so in the end it's all opinion and judgment calls.

Call it what you want but Taylor should've had 2 or 3 TD passes while he was in but they were all dropped, he did good enough getting it into the receivers hands to where they should've made the play flat and simple.

Why don't we bring in lee and Martinez at the same time and run the wildcat...

I thought even before the season, and thought the coaches thought this as well, that we were going to go with a Florida style QB look with the way they use Trey Burton now and used Tim Tebow a few years ago. Bring either in for certain running situation and to run some play-action. Use Zac Lee like John Brantley and Chris Leak, since they are the better passes and can keep defenses honest.

None of this means Taylor lost the game, because if we made a few of those plays, would have been a very different game. Taylor could have been this shaky in the passing game, and we still could have won with better receiving play. Where I disagree with Hercules is the part where Taylor gives the O the best chance to succeed. I am definitely seeing a WORLD of possibility with the way we are going on offense, but this year, right now, stylistic preferences aside, I think Lee gives us the best chance to win, not caring how flashy or how many rushing records are broken.

i completely agree with you. i like t-mart, i do not blame him for the loss (we should have won, even with his sub-par game), and i think he can be an excellent qb, but he needs to mature (mentally and physically. i think he puts the ball on the ground so much because of his size. you cannot have a qb on the field that is as likely to fumble as he is not to fumble). i think lee should start. first, i think he is a better game manager. second, i think a pro style offense (with i-formations and shotgun) better suits this offense and allows all of our playmakers to shine. third, martinez should still get his reps and experience. lee played with confidence and commanded the offense, martinez needs more time to develop. just my opinion.

I respect Lee, I thought he did a good job when he was in. That said, both of his long drives would have ended without points but for Texas penalties.

Again, Martinez made mistakes, and he made more than Lee made. But Martinez was not even close to the reason we lost this game. He's not going to be Peyton Manning, he's going to miss throws. But when the ball hits you in the hands, you have to catch it. That aspect has nothing to do with Martinez, and that's what cost us the game.

Also, like I said before, even had Martinez made the correct reads, the running game wasn't going anywhere. Texas was playing the run with 8 or 9 guys - it wasn't going anywhere. Lee had more success in the running game because Texas doesn't respect Lee as a runner.

Lee makes the offense steady, and above average. Martinez gives it nuclear power. If NU receivers CATCH the ball when it hits them in the hands (not even the bad throws I'm talking about - just the good ones), then Nebraska hangs 40 to 50 on Texas. They didn't. The receivers dropped the ball, game over.

I respect Lee, I thought he did a good job when he was in. That said, both of his long drives would have ended without points but for Texas penalties.

Again, Martinez made mistakes, and he made more than Lee made. But Martinez was not even close to the reason we lost this game. He's not going to be Peyton Manning, he's going to miss throws. But when the ball hits you in the hands, you have to catch it. That aspect has nothing to do with Martinez, and that's what cost us the game.

Also, like I said before, even had Martinez made the correct reads, the running game wasn't going anywhere. Texas was playing the run with 8 or 9 guys - it wasn't going anywhere. Lee had more success in the running game because Texas doesn't respect Lee as a runner.

Lee makes the offense steady, and above average. Martinez gives it nuclear power. If NU receivers CATCH the ball when it hits them in the hands (not even the bad throws I'm talking about - just the good ones), then Nebraska hangs 40 to 50 on Texas. They didn't. The receivers dropped the ball, game over.

i agree with everything you said. and if they catch the ball, the run game opens up. i like the bold part a lot, because i think that is what it comes down to. nuclear power is exciting, energizing, volatile, and dangerous. it is a matter of taste. what i do know is that martinez needs to be a better game manager. he also needs to know how to avoid getting sacked for big losses and putting the ball on the ground. he just needs to gain a better command of the offense. i do not know if that means more confidence or experience or both. i will also say this, i would not want to have to choose between the two.