Lots of room to grow for Martinez

There are different kinds of leaders too. Some are vocal, some are cheerleaders, and some are quiet people who lead by example. Nobody questioned Suh's leadership, even though he was never a vocal guy - he always led by example. No one knows Taylor Martinez very well, but he certainly seems to be one of those players who prefers to just lead by example. This article tries to comment on a person's "attitude" without knowing that player or even interviewing that player, which is crappy journalism. If Chatelain had broken down Martinez's mistakes in the zone read, that's an article worth reading. But instead, he broke down a 20 year old's body language as if the kid was a politician in a debate. He implied that the kid doesn't care enough about his team because Martinez didn't get too excited after a first down (never mind that Martinez doesn't get too excited after rushing for 4 tds and 241 yards).

It's not hard to tell if someone cares about the team winning or not. It doesn't matter if one is animated about it, jumping up and down or simply standing up near the sideline watching intently. Sitting ten yards back on the bench with arms crossed pretty much tells the story.

There are different kinds of leaders too. Some are vocal, some are cheerleaders, and some are quiet people who lead by example. Nobody questioned Suh's leadership, even though he was never a vocal guy - he always led by example. No one knows Taylor Martinez very well, but he certainly seems to be one of those players who prefers to just lead by example. This article tries to comment on a person's "attitude" without knowing that player or even interviewing that player, which is crappy journalism. If Chatelain had broken down Martinez's mistakes in the zone read, that's an article worth reading. But instead, he broke down a 20 year old's body language as if the kid was a politician in a debate. He implied that the kid doesn't care enough about his team because Martinez didn't get too excited after a first down (never mind that Martinez doesn't get too excited after rushing for 4 tds and 241 yards).

It's not hard to tell if someone cares about the team winning or not. It doesn't matter if one is animated about it, jumping up and down or simply standing up near the sideline watching intently. Sitting ten yards back on the bench with arms crossed pretty much tells the story.

If you or Chatelain feel so sure about that, feel free to go ask Martinez to his face whether he cares about the team winning or losing. But I won't feel sorry for you if he punches you in the face.

edit: And if you're not sure - then don't write the article implying such.

Well...lets see here...by Martinez's body language...he seemed pretty frustrated and dissapointed...this article was just DUMB! People react different ways...it doesn't make him a bad/wrong person for reacting the way he did...that is the way he expresses himself or DID express himself at that point in time.

I have to agree with JTrain and Zoogies on this topic. If he is a quiet person, that is fine. But why does he have to isolate himself from the team. There is no reason he should not be huddling with the offense during timeouts or when the D is on the field. Like I said all I could think of while reading the article was video of Albert Haynesworth during the Redskin's first game...

I have to agree with JTrain and Zoogies on this topic. If he is a quiet person, that is fine. But why does he have to isolate himself from the team. There is no reason he should not be huddling with the offense during timeouts or when the D is on the field. Like I said all I could think of while reading the article was video of Albert Haynesworth during the Redskin's first game...

he was dejected, disappointed in himself and the game. maybe he did not want to be in the presence of his teammates because he felt like he let them down and he took it personal. nonetheless, he is just a freshman. that is a lot of stress and pressure, and he was not alone in the losing effort.

If you or Chatelain feel so sure about that, feel free to go ask Martinez to his face whether he cares about the team winning or losing. But I won't feel sorry for you if he punches you in the face.

When asked to comment about the game or give an interview Martinez declined to be available, which in addition to his behavior and attitude on the sidelines points towards a little bit of immaturity. He has a lot of growing up to do and this isn't just with regard to football - he's 18/19 years old and has a lot of life and growth ahead of him. It's kind of a delicate process of giving him room to grow whilst at the same time holding him responsible for his actions.

I don't think I've seen anyone tearing him apart over this, but it's the kind of behavior that needs to have attention called to it so that he CAN grow from it - if all everyone does is give him a free pass because he's young and blow smoke up his quantum singularity then it justifies the behavior rather than deterring from it.

I sense a cheapness about this article also. Just adding insult to injury as everyone is down about the loss. This was a team loss and everyone was a part of it. Martinez did not make all the right reads, he is learning. The dropped passes had to be demoralizing for a young QB but he'll gain experience. I don't know why everyone is expecting a freshman to play with the poise and experience of a seasoned senior. We were not winning this game on Martinez alone...when the rest of the team pulled a no-show, I sort of feel for the guy. He made some decent plays but we screwed up in a lot of aspects of this game. I didn't necessarily agree with pulling Martinez because we just lost our homerun threat in doing that but if the coaches saw he was just too frustrated out there then I am OK with the move and they just need to develop and mature him....I think he'll get it in time. We haven't had this exciting of a player in awhile so get behind him already!

REALLY? He needs to lose the attitude and grow up. This is Big 12 football. Nebraska Big 12 football. No free passes, no pouting.

REALLY? He needs to lose the attitude and grow up. This is Big 12 football. Nebraska Big 12 football. No free passes, no pouting.

we have had pouters on the team. plenty, crouch comes to mind.

he was dejected, disappointed in himself and the game. maybe he did not want to be in the presence of his teammates because he felt like he let them down and he took it personal. nonetheless, he is just a freshman. that is a lot of stress and pressure, and he was not alone in the losing effort.

The game wasn't over yet. We were down 14 pts. with 1.5 quarters left. Ya I can see if we were getting blown out or after the game he is acting like this, but when the game is still in the balance you don't throw a pity party. You encourage you team and do your part to ensure a victory. Hell, he could have been put back in the game at some point, who knows. If Cody Green can put on a headset and listen to his coach, Martinez can too...

When asked to comment about the game or give an interview Martinez declined to be available, which given his "behavior" on the sidelines points towards a little bit of immaturity. He has a lot of growing up to do and this isn't just with regard to football - he's 18/19 years old and has a lot of life and growth ahead of him. It's kind of a delicate process of giving him room to grow whilst at the same time holding him responsible for his actions. I don't think I've seen anyone tearing him apart over this, but it's the kind of behavior that needs to have attention called to it so that he CAN grow from it - if all everyone does is give him a free pass because he's young and blow smoke up his quantum singularity then itjustifies the behavior rather than deterring from it.

Nobody's saying we should give him a free pass. But if you're going to critique him, critique is on-field performance. The missed throws, or the missed reads, that's all fair game. But don't write about his body language, don't speculate on his psyche, and I don't care whether or not he talks to the press the rest of the time he's at UNL. That's his choice.

The game wasn't over yet. We were down 14 pts. with 1.5 quarters left. Ya I can see if we were getting blown out or after the game he is acting like this, but when the game is still in the balance you don't throw a pity party. You encourage you team and do your part to ensure a victory. Hell, he could have been put back in the game at some point, who knows. If Cody Green can put on a headset and listen to his coach, Martinez can too...

yeah, i was just being an apologist and trying to add some perspective.

Martinez has often been compared to Eric Crouch. How much of a leader was Crouch at this stage of his career? Did he improve on that by his senior year?

So because he is being compared to him means he has to act like him in every way? If Eric Crouch was not a leader, why does that mean Taylor Martinez can't be a leader at this stage of his career?