why this game hurt.

sd'sker

Why this game hurt? Because deep down, somewhere, we all expected it. And we were right. Same sh#t, different day. I don't pretend to know the answer, but something on this team has got to change. We blow the big games.

Yeah alot of it is a pride thing for the fans I think.. I really dont like being Owned by another team and not being able to defeat them. It really hurt losing in the inaugural B12 championship when we had Scott Frost and the #3 Team in the country.

The 2 things that really bother me are that 1) texa$$ ruined the conference by dictating it's direction and 2) many of these games, we either were the better team (96, 98, 99, 10), or we played better (03, 06, 07, 09), but they got the lucky bounce, made the 1 play at the right time, or they got the benefit of a call (or many calls) by the refs.

Why this game hurt? Because deep down, somewhere, we all expected it. And we were right. Same sh#t, different day. I don't pretend to know the answer, but something on this team has got to change. We blow the big games.

I really thought we had the ball rolling in the right direction after the way we handled KState in Manhattan. However, deep down I did expect to lose this game. My brother and I always make a friendly bet on the Husker game. We take turns on who gets to pick first, and there's typically always points awarded to the one who has to take the other team. It was my turn to pick first this week, and after pondering it for a while I chose Texas. We've only beat them once since the Big 12 was formed. Muschamp is a great D coordinator, and they have great athletes. We've put the ball on the turf a lot this year. Against smaller weaker teams, we typically got those fumbles back. Against fast strong teams like Texas, getting the fumbles back is very difficult.

I was hoping the SDSU game was our wake-up call, but apparently it was not. The only thing to do now is hope the Texas game was our wake-up call, and we roll through the rest of the schedule. It is definitely gut check time for the staff and the team. They turned it around last year, so I see no reason we can't turn it around this year. Back in the day, TO took a lot of heat for blowing the big games as well. Eventually, things will click and the lightbulb will turn on.

This game hurt because I didnt think the team would come out and play with abolutley no passion, heart, or drive. They layed a egg right on the 50 yard line of memorial stadium. I have complete faith in Bo getting this team ready for stoolwater, get 'em boys!

I personally think the whole problem with these letdown is this "it's just another game" or "treat every game the same" philosophy. That is bs and i'm sick of it. So here's what happened, the coaches/players wanted to treat the Texas game like any other, but with all the buildup and hype they had to put extra emphasis on doing so, downplaying the intensity of the matchup, and what happened? They played/coached with the focus and intensity of the SDSU game. Big games are big games. You better be gettin up a hella lot more for Texas that SDSU, that's just a fact. You can say you treat every game as a big game for the case of similarity, but that just doesnt happen.

I am 100% with you on this. They start a web site, then down play it. They make videos that says beat Texas, then change it, they bring in a 747 full of recruits, then say its no big deal, just another game. I guess I keep forgetting Bo is a new coach. TO could down play every game, and not look forward due to the program he had in place. You could always rest asured that his kids would be up for every game, when they weren't it was very rare. This game, of all games this year, was THE one, I wanted it more than anything, not because I hate Texas (I dont), but I dont want to hear the only reason we left was because we couldn't beat them.

Bo even admits they play better on the road, because they have less distractions. Well lets figure out what is distracting them and remove it, adjust it, or compensate for it. Texas was not the better team..... CRAP!!!! Now I'm po'd again.....:facepalm:

I think watson's plan was to put in the new qb and show the same stuff then try to open it up with the pass. Have to stay balanced because the texas secondary was supposed to be their best unit. I still don't know why we didn't have more offensive wrinkles ready. Martinez on a reverse, screen or just use him as decoy since they were keying in on him so much.

yeah, i was expecting a lot more out of the zone-read formation. some counters or something. also, when the zone read does not work, why not go to the I formation and standard shotgun. i expected more creativity and some quicker adjustments.

I personally don't buy it that we have barely cracked open the playbook. This is what Watson does with his offense. He isn't multiple, he is simple. And he simply does not do a good job with his game plan. Anyone with a pulse could see that the way to beat ut's D was to run right at them with power. The OLine did pretty decent, the RB's (with the exception of dropping balls) did fine. Constantly calling a slow developing zone read was not getting it done.

It's time for Watson to move on.