why this game hurt.

sd'sker

i believe the reason this game hurt so bad, and still does, is because of how we played. it was not that we lost to texas, or the record against texas, or even the mnc implications. it is that we did not show up and we got outplayed. that is tough to swallow. the team that wanted it more won, and it was not us. it was just poor execution, and it happens a lot when the stakes are high and the pressure is up. texas called a great game on offense and defense, but we still had plenty of opportunities. the defense played well, well enough to win. martinez made some good throws, but was not ready to manage the game. the receivers could not catch a cold. it is simple just to blame them or wats. but wats called a good game, nothing you can do about execution during the game. the coaches are doing something wrong to allow these letdowns, and that is what is so frustrating. all frustrating are the fumbles and penalties. this game hurt, but not for the expected reasons. it is because the players did not play to their standards and did not play inspired football.

i am not throwing martinez under the bus because i think he played well and is not the reason for the loss. but i will say i like lee as a starter. i like the offense better under lee (more of the i-formation and shotgun, less reliance on the zone-read). he is a better game manager and a good passer. we have the rb's to give us a good running game. and martinez needs more time to develop. give him his reps, but he needs to mature if we want to be an elite team.

these are just my thoughts on the game and the team at this point in the season. feel free to disagree, agree, or add your thoughts.

Disagree about the QB's, but since that's in about 8000 other threads, I'll leave that alone.

Two things bother me:

1. obviously, the lackluster WR play from experienced veterans at that position. The QB competition worked like a charm in the offseason, and you can see the improvement in each player. However, the WR's are making the same mistakes they've made for the last few seasons. They run lazy routes sometimes, breaking out of their route early or late, or not settling into the soft spot in the zone... And that's not even getting to the drops.

2. This is the third year in a row where we've had a letdown in October. I know Bo scoffs at that, but it's a pattern. It, along with our lackluster performances at home, need to be addressed. I'd like to know Osborne's thoughts.

if i had to pick the three simplest things that caused this loss, it would have been:

1. fumbles

2. dropped passes

3. penalties

that is undisciplined football, and there is no excuse for it. the team needs to shape up and get their heads on straight. it is like they psyche themselves out of a win.

• Fire 1

I'm still wondering why Watson is running the read in the 4th quarter, 1st of all with Lee who is not fast no matter what people say, and 2nd when UT shut it down every single play, it does not make any sense to me and was pissing me off, he obviously brought in Lee to open up the passing game because that was what texas was giving us, but then we continued running the read!??? I like Lee as a passer and Martinez as a rusher, Lee should have started after half and we needed to pass, then you have the issue with the recievers not catching the ball whatsoever and thats why we ran so much, idc if you have to get true freshman out there, get someone who will step up and pass like you intended to do with Lee, good lord :steam

I think watson's plan was to put in the new qb and show the same stuff then try to open it up with the pass. Have to stay balanced because the texas secondary was supposed to be their best unit. I still don't know why we didn't have more offensive wrinkles ready. Martinez on a reverse, screen or just use him as decoy since they were keying in on him so much.

I think watson's plan was to put in the new qb and show the same stuff then try to open it up with the pass. Have to stay balanced because the texas secondary was supposed to be their best unit. I still don't know why we didn't have more offensive wrinkles ready. Martinez on a reverse, screen or just use him as decoy since they were keying in on him so much.

yeah, i was expecting a lot more out of the zone-read formation. some counters or something. also, when the zone read does not work, why not go to the I formation and standard shotgun. i expected more creativity and some quicker adjustments.

I'm over it. I just have some real sh*t going on in my life right now, and it really puts things into perspective. If the worst thing that happens to us is our boys lose a football game, then we have pretty damn good lives.

GO BIG RED!

post of the year? i think so.

still want to figure it out. the problem is that you want to beat texas because they care so much and that team is so much of their identity, but then you are no better than them. best thing to do is keep it in perspective and remember it is just a game. best thing to do is not care about it, because it is just texas.

edit: oh and this is my 2,501st post, so congratulations are in order.

if i had to pick the three simplest things that caused this loss, it would have been:

1. fumbles

2. dropped passes

3. penalties

that is undisciplined football, and there is no excuse for it. the team needs to shape up and get their heads on straight. it is like they psyche themselves out of a win.

I agree with everything you said. A game where you circle and train for all year and come out and give a lack luster performance, somethings gotta change. Bo needs to have a long talk with this team because this is not championship football.

On another note lets hope the boys can make it up the rest of the season and win out. :bigredn:

I personally think the whole problem with these letdown is this "it's just another game" or "treat every game the same" philosophy. That is bs and i'm sick of it. So here's what happened, the coaches/players wanted to treat the Texas game like any other, but with all the buildup and hype they had to put extra emphasis on doing so, downplaying the intensity of the matchup, and what happened? They played/coached with the focus and intensity of the SDSU game. Big games are big games. You better be gettin up a hella lot more for Texas that SDSU, that's just a fact. You can say you treat every game as a big game for the case of similarity, but that just doesnt happen.

I'm over it. I just have some real sh*t going on in my life right now, and it really puts things into perspective. If the worst thing that happens to us is our boys lose a football game, then we have pretty damn good lives.

GO BIG RED!

As much as I wanted to beat Texas I totally agree. It's a game and as a Husker fan I think it's safe to say we've got it and have had it pretty darn good.

GBR! On to Oklahoma State...

Why this game hurt? Because deep down, somewhere, we all expected it. And we were right. Same sh#t, different day. I don't pretend to know the answer, but something on this team has got to change. We blow the big games.

Yeah alot of it is a pride thing for the fans I think.. I really dont like being Owned by another team and not being able to defeat them. It really hurt losing in the inaugural B12 championship when we had Scott Frost and the #3 Team in the country.

GO BIG RED!

As much as I wanted to beat Texas I totally agree. It's a game and as a Husker fan I think it's safe to say we've got it and have had it pretty darn good.

GBR! On to Oklahoma State...

Don't get me wrong I really, REALLY wanted to beat Texas, and sure it hurt. But there's something to be said about losing with grace. Not just as players and coaches, but as fans. I was just upset as anyone, I said and posted stuff I really regret. But the world is still spinning and we got another HUGE game coming up. I'm excited for next week.

GBR!

1. fumbles

2. dropped passes

3. penalties

We lost this game very early on. 3 and out, the long punt return by Texas, the Helu fumble etc. etc. Texas played a brilliant (and safe)game aside from a few dumb penalties, they didn't beat themselves like Nebraska did. If some of those drops were catches, it would have been a comletely different game. With how the game was going early on I kept saying to myslef ok how will they blow it now? Ah yes, easy TD? Nope dropped. It will be interesting to see how we respond in Stillwater.