O'Colly article: OSU's star wideout faces Husker's shutdown corner

Showdown

OSU's star wideout faces Husker's shutdown corner

By Anthony Slater

Sports Reporter

Published: Thursday, October 21, 2010

Updated: Friday, October 22, 2010 01:10

With an incredible start to his sophomore season, Cowboy wide receiver Justin Blackmon has burst onto the national scene and emerged as a top NFL pick when he becomes eligible.

This is something Nebraska senior Prince Amukamara can relate to, as he has been projected as one of the top cornerbacks in his draft class for a few years running.

When they finally meet on Saturday in Boone Pickens Stadium, it could be the first of many showdowns in the promising careers of these budding stars.

"It is going to be a great chance to go out there and compete and it will be a good game to watch," Blackmon said.

Through six games Blackmon has been virtually unstoppable, leading the nation with 955 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns. Using a combination of size and speed, Blackmon has completely dominated opposing defensive backs.

Continuing that trend will be a monumental task, as Amukamara is the catalyst for a pass defense that only surrenders 117 yards per game, far and away the best in the nation. Even in the loss against Texas a week ago, the Nebraska defensive backs surrendered one completion to a wideout.

Although coach Mike Gundy said he believes Nebraska will use bracket coverage at times to contain Blackmon, he knows there will be plenty of one-on-one battles.

"There will be times when they come right after (Justin) and match them up," Gundy said. "I would think they feel (Amukamara) is good enough to do that."

While Amukamara has rightfully earned all the confidence in the world from the Cornhusker staff, Cowboys offensive coordinator Dana Holgorsen believes Blackmon can beat anyone in single coverage.

"Justin has proven he can get open on anybody," Holgorsen said. "We feel like we need to win that match-up."

Even the most diehard football fans did not foresee this sudden leap in Blackmon's production. The Ardmore native went from a relatively unknown freshman to leading candidate for the Fred Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation's best receiver, in one season.

"Justin Blackmon is a talented player that maximizes his opportunity because of his work habits," Gundy said.

Gundy said he began to see this talent emerge in spring workouts and throughout the fall camp.

"He had tremendous work habits, understood the importance of preparation, trained hard in the weight room and he is very competitive," Gundy said. "Those are the key ingredients of a good football player."

All the recent national hype has even made its way to Lincoln, where the Nebraska secondary is quick to compliment the Cowboy receiver but feel they have a formidable unit to contain him.

"He is a big, physical receiver, but I really have faith in both our corners shutting down anybody," Husker safety DeJon Gomes said.

So in the eyes of the coaches and players involved, Blackmon can get open on anyone and Amukamara can cover anyone. That will change for one of them on Saturday. Whichever side is right will have a huge advantage in one of the biggest games in recent memory.

one key will be pressure on the QB. if we can get balls underthrown or off target, Prince/Dennard will have some INTs.

Also, from the couple games i've seen Blackmon play, it doesn't seem like he has taken many big hits. maybe if we smack him around a little, he'll be less effective

In all honesty, I wouldn't be completely surprised if Weeden connects with Blackmon on one long TD. Prince is a great CB no doubt, but I can think of a few times already this season he's let his man get behind him (once for a TD vs Washington, and twice vs Texas).

Not worried about Prince vs Anyone. Really think Prince, Fonzie, Eric and Dejon are gonna ball out like always.

Love that Weeden is so prone to mistakes as well. Weeden has threw at least 2 INTs in 3 straight games against TTech, AtM, and ULL. Now he's gotta go up against like the best DBs in the country.

I like our chances when we matchup those guys.

Not worried about Prince vs Anyone. Really think Prince, Fonzie, Eric and Dejon are gonna ball out like always.

Love that Weeden is so prone to mistakes as well. Weeden has threw at least 2 INTs in 3 straight games against TTech, AtM, and ULL. Now he's gotta go up against like the best DBs in the country.

Whose Fonzie?

I'm taking Prince and the rest of the Blackshirts on this one. UW's Kearse was/is a top-tier receiver when we faced them a few weeks ago and the defense all but took him out of the game.

yeah, me too. Have you seen Blackmon play? The Pokes roster says he is 6’1” 207. But when you see him on TV he looks huge. I would’ve guessed Blackmon is at least 6’3”. Maybe he just plays big.

I can’t wait to see Prince or Thenarse put a big ole snotknocker hit on Justin Blackmon. Let’s see how good he can catch when he’s looking thru the earhole of his helmet.

Whose Fonzie?

Alfonzo.

Like the Happy Days character, our 'Fonzie' has that much swag.

Really, I wish all our players had the confidence and fearless attitude he has. Love that kid.

Whose Fonzie?

Alfonzo.

Like the Happy Days character, our 'Fonzie' has that much swag.

Really, I wish all our players had the confidence and fearless attitude he has. Love that kid.

Gotcha.