Coaches Poll Out and AP Poll

Should a bad Purdue team have been ranked #7 after they beat #7 Ohio State last year?

No. Please note that I said Missouri is undefeated. If Missouri was 6-1 and beat Oklahoma, I wouldn't argue that they should replace them. I'd also like to add that I never thought Oklahoma looked that great. I thought they should have been #5.

If I was ranking I'd look at every team and think of who I think they would beat 2 times out of 3, but also use their losses as part of it. I think Alabama would beat every team in the country 2 times out of 3, but they don't deserve to be #1 because they blew it. I'd put them (and Auburn) ahead of Boise State and TCU though. They have too tough of a schedule to not be rewarded for it, while Boise State plays a bunch of nobodies. Beating one good team doesn't prove you deserve anything. Alabama plays at least 5 teams that are better than Virginia Tech, imo.

We'll see how good Mizzou is next week. As well as how good we actually are. Looking back on the Texas game now, I think that we're a hell of a lot better than we played. I believe we lost that game, Texas didn't win it... If we came out with our heads screwed on right (which oddly enough never seems to happen at home), we would've spanked them. That, and the fact we had a RSFr QB playing in the biggest game of his young career who got nervous and tried to force things running the zone read against a fast defense that was already keyed on him = Disaster. Taylor wasn't used to seeing a defense that good, and it definitely caught up to him. But the last two weeks, he's seen BETTER defenses than he saw early on (Texas defense is good, Okie Lite's is not, but still better than our early schedule), and he's learned from it. Hopefully, learned he's not going to break a big one every keep... that's he's going to have to be patient and take what he gets. He did a hell of a job yesterday (aside from that fumble they recovered-- his one flaw), and was amazingly composed and calm. That is a good thing.

Anyway, at the beginning of the season, I never would've told you Mizzou had a defense, and after a rash of injuries, I would've doubted it even more. But they do appear to have one this year, for some reason. I don't believe, before OU, Mizzou played anyone who is for real. But they did beat OU, impressive, I'll give them that... although if you asked anyone besides dumb ole Boomer Sooners fans, NO ONE (!) would've agreed Oklahoma should've been the number 1 team in the land yesterday. They're good, but clearly not number one material.

But my whole point is, next week we find out how good both our teams really are. Which one will crack in the spotlight? It will be a huge game... And it will tell whether Mizzou is a legitimate top 10 team (don't think so) or whether we are and the Texas game was just a fluke (I personally am of this train of thought).

Would love to get some feedback on what you guys think of my little dissection here.

The polls have never made sense to me. You're undefeated and you beat the #3 team. You're the pollster who put them at #3. You can't take away the fact that you thought they were the 3rd best team. If Missouri beats the 3rd best team in the country and they're undefeated, why aren't they now the 3rd best team in the country until they prove it was a fluke?

by that logic - you would then have to put san diego state at #4