Nebraska-Missouri by the numbers

SOS is also relevant to these stats. SOS, according to Sagarin:

Missouri - 30

Nebraska - 41

Wow that's way different than CBS.

Missouri - 8

Nebraska -34

CBS

Considering the fact that CBS bases their SOS on guys like Dennis Dodd and Sagarin's rankings are an actual part of the BCS formula, I'll take Sagarin's word for it over CBS'.

HAHA! Dude, I seriously doubt they let Dennis Dodd decide on each teams' SOS. However, even if they did let me run this by you:

CBS has Missouri ranked overall at #6

Jeff Sagarin has them ranked overall at #2

Which do you think is more accurate?

Here's a stat about one of our own. Kyler Reed. 5 receptions this year. 3 of those 5 catches are for touchdowns. Had the 79 yard TD against Okie Lite. Right now he's averaging a whopping 34.8 yards per catch.

Statistically speaking Kyler Reed's not doing too badly. I'd like to see more of him because so far he's done a lot with those 5 catches.

Another fun one is with MU's total D ranking of #38. 339.14 yards a game. Not bad. However I thought a fun thing was to look at how many yrds MU is giving up late with big leads. MU doesnt stay agressive in the 4th when up big and play alot of young guys. So I ran the numbers and in 4 games you could say were over by the time you got to the 4th look like this:

McNeese - 245 total - 80 in the 4th with MU up 50

Miami (oh) - 316 total yrds - 107 in the 4th up 45

CU - 311 total yards. 124 in the 4th quarter with MU up 19 and 26.

ATM - 379 total - 176 in the 4th up 27.

Mu gave up 39% of thier total yards in those games in the 4th frame. If Mu had given up just the avg of yards from the previous 3 qtrs then that drops MU's yrds per avg on the season to 305.71. Not that it means anything. I just thought it was interesting.

Another one I think might come into play.

Redzone Offense

#42 MU - 30 chances. 26 scores. 18 TDS

#96 NE - 20 chances. 15 scores. 12 TDS

Redzone Defense

#3 MU - 15 Chances. 8 scores. 4 TDS

#59 NE - 16 Chances. 13 scores. 8 TDS

I knew NE scored on big plays alot, but the RZ O chances suprised me a little

I don't have a good answer to that one. This year is as bad as any I've seen in trying to figure out who's good and who isn't. Missouri is good, deserving of a top-ten rank, maybe not top five, but good enough that they're no fluke and nobody can say they don't belong up there. I would most likely rank them at six than at two. I think Oregon is the clear best team in the country, followed by Auburn or Boise St, and after that it's a crapshoot.

I don't have a good answer to that one. This year is as bad as any I've seen in trying to figure out who's good and who isn't. Missouri is good, deserving of a top-ten rank, maybe not top five, but good enough that they're no fluke and nobody can say they don't belong up there. I would most likely rank them at six than at two. I think Oregon is the clear best team in the country, followed by Auburn or Boise St, and after that it's a crapshoot.

Oregon is a darn scary team. I keep waiting for them to flop like they have in the past when playing like this. I dont think its going to happen. (probably like some people were waiting for MU to flop against OU like they have in the past also.)

Another one I think might come into play.

Redzone Offense

#42 MU - 30 chances. 26 scores. 18 TDS

#96 NE - 20 chances. 15 scores. 12 TDS

Redzone Defense

#3 MU - 15 Chances. 8 scores. 4 TDS

#59 NE - 16 Chances. 13 scores. 8 TDS

I knew NE scored on big plays alot, but the RZ O chances suprised me a little

Yeah that Redzone Offense stat is a little misleading considering NU has scored on numerous big yardage plays. The Redzone Defense however, concerns me.

*I don't think Mizzou's defense, regardless of ranking, is going to be able to bottle up our offense... a REAL offense... IF AND ONLY IF we come out for blood right away. A sloppy start would be terrible.

*Wow, I didn't know we were ranked in the 70's against the run... that IS frightening. I didn't know we were quite that bad. I guess it goes along with our bend, don't break style... but still. At least running the ball is definitely not their strong suit. They were built to pass, and our D was built to shut that down.

*Mizzou's 3rd down conversion rate is quite low, I'm surprised.

*I don't think Mizzou's defense, regardless of ranking, is going to be able to bottle up our offense... a REAL offense... IF AND ONLY IF we come out for blood right away. A sloppy start would be terrible.

I'm guessing Oklahoma was thinking the same thing.

Here are a few more good ones (this is only through week 6):

cfbstats

Tackles for Loss

#17 Missouri--48

#119 Nebraska--21

Sacks

#6 Missouri--20

#68 Nebraska--11

Sacks Allowed

#20 Missouri--7

#31 Nebraska--8

Why did you pick those stats? Hmmm.

I admit I cherry picked, but the orginal stats posted were mostly by yards....which favors Nebraska. The fact is that to date Nebraska has done a better job of keeping their opponents in front of them and forcing punts. The Missouri D has more big play ability and has been better in the red zone.

Both O-lines have allowed very few sacks. Although I guess as much credit could go to T-Mart as the Nebraska lineman.

I'm guessing Oklahoma was thinking the same thing.

I'm not terribly impressed with OU's offense... sue me. Landry Jones doesn't strike me as a winner under center... to me, he just doesn't have that "it" factor of a guy like Eric Crouch or, and I can't believe I'm saying this, Colt McCoy. Guys who just won games. I'm not saying he doesn't win games, just that he doesn't impress me like those guys did.

And I understand that have Murray and frosh phenom Kenny Stills, but outside those guys, their offense just doesn't leap off the page at me. Marginal O line.