Steady Improvement??

Are we improving? Well -

1) Cory Ross didn't fumble vs 3 in the first game.

2) ZT had only 1 INT instead of 2 (lot of luck, but that tends to balance out during the year).

3) ZT had a 1 TD pass vs 0 in the first game.

4) Defense flat out dominated in the 2nd half. Don't think it got stronger in the first game.

5) Oline showed signs of improvement in the 3rd qt.

6) Fluellen got in the game (no catches)

Overall we are improving, but lots of areas of concern -

1) Punt return game disappeared. Grixby was replaced by Nunn late in the game. Suspect the coaches were trying to pump some life into the returns.

2) Rushing is still a huge problem. I think there was only run over 10 yrs. I'll have to watch the game again, but it seems we had more success on some sweeps rather than up the middle. So why do we running up the middle so much?

If you want to ignore it that their line blew holes in NUs Dline, thats fine. But it raised a red flag.

For the game they ending up getting 2.5 yards per carry. That isn't very good and I'll take a defense that gives that up any day of the week.

Agreed, however, it had alot to do with the sacks. The turnovers had a huge effect on the game. If Wake wouldnt have turned the ball over and kept it close, they could have run their offense how they wanted. When they got into a hole, they had to throw, which went away from their strengths.

Im gonna watch the game again, but from what I saw last night, our Dline got pushed around quite abit against the run in the first half. I think you would agree with that?

Do you remember a team that we played last year? Our defense dominated them and we rolled to an relatively easy victory? That team ended up in a BCS game and alot of people were saying that their quarterback had a chance to win the heisman. That team is Pitt and we are alot like they were offensively at the begginning of last year. Our o-line is sucking, we cant protect the quarterback, and we arent scoring alot of points on offense, but they did get better, game by game, week by week, and by the end they were a pretty decent football team offensively and would of had the best offense in the big twelve north. I see improvement. There were guys open, there were more holes to run through against a d line that was better than Maine. It will happen.

The difference between the two is that Taylor has upside.  Dailey doesn't.

:dis

You are saying this is as good as Taylor is? The kid has two D1 games under his belt and you want to hang him. Sometimes, man, I can't understand you.

Sorry, I should have clarified my statement. Taylor has an upside, but I dont agree with the asumption that Dailey doesnt. Dailey is a decent athlete, in the right offense, Dailey may produce well.

I'll edit the previous post. My bad.

I see. I wouldn't doubt he has some kind of upside outside of a passing system. But here he didn't have an upside and I think that's what Jake was getting at.

Do you remember a team that we played last year? Our defense dominated them and we rolled to an relatively easy victory? That team ended up in a BCS game and alot of people were saying that their quarterback had a chance to win the heisman. That team is Pitt and we are alot like they were offensively at the begginning of last year. Our o-line is sucking, we cant protect the quarterback, and we arent scoring alot of points on offense, but they did get better, game by game, week by week, and by the end they were a pretty decent football team offensively and would of had the best offense in the big twelve north. I see improvement. There were guys open, there were more holes to run through against a d line that was better than Maine. It will happen.

I'm hoping you are right, but NU is 13 games into the WCO, and it hasnt set the world on fire. I was hoping for more improvement by now.

The offense is terrible imo.  Our oline just is getting smoked.  Taylor is average at best.  Our wr's are dropping a couple and the play calling is very poor.  Our defense is playing great but hasn't played an offense at all yet.  UNO has more spark on offense then these 2 teams.  Iowa St. and T tech will show us how good our defense actually is.

So in other words we are doomed. The offense sucks, the defense sucks, the all of the coaches suck, all of the players suck. You didn't mention it but ST's probably suck too. Hell, I'm not even going to bother watching the remaining games. We're f*kcing screwed.

The offense is terrible imo.  Our oline just is getting smoked.  Taylor is average at best.  Our wr's are dropping a couple and the play calling is very poor.  Our defense is playing great but hasn't played an offense at all yet.  UNO has more spark on offense then these 2 teams.  Iowa St. and T tech will show us how good our defense actually is.

So in other words we are doomed. The offense sucks, the defense sucks, the all of the coaches suck, all of the players suck. You didn't mention it but ST's probably suck too. Hell, I'm not even going to bother watching the remaining games. We're f*kcing screwed.

I think you have mastered the character that is Benard. Except that he will watch the rest of the games, then go to various messageboards and talk his team down. Sometimes with things that aren't even close to accurate.

Last night was a wierd game...not that I am not happy.

ZT is a definate improvement, but how is it that the offense last year at this time was producing more than this year (sans turnovers)? I just don't get it...ZT is calm, runs the offense well...does the loss of Pilk and Herrian matter that much? ZT is gonna be a solid QB...hope the dropsies don't hurt his confidence. He'll be ok.

Thank goodness for da blackshirts!

I'm a whole lot more optimistic at this point than I was the same time last week. We have a really good front 4, some pretty good LB's and a decent secondary. Our O-line seems weak, our QB play is much better (even though the stats don't show) than last year, WR's are better and the talent at RB is nice to have. Ross didn't slip and fall as much last night, and if he could get a hole to run through he would have much better numbers. Our kicking game is effective (though I wish it were used less), our punter can smoke the ball, and the returners at least have a chance to catch and run this year.

I think when we get the horses in here to play O-line and the big, physical receivers complimented w/a speedster or two, the offense will be tough to stop. ZT is very accurate at times, but he's never going to complete 100%. The receivers aren't gonna drop passes all the time like they have the 1st two weeks. We're improving, are undefeated, and have given up 10 total points. Be happy!

If you want to ignore it that their line blew holes in NUs Dline, thats fine. But it raised a red flag.

For the game they ending up getting 2.5 yards per carry. That isn't very good and I'll take a defense that gives that up any day of the week.

Agreed, however, it had alot to do with the sacks. The turnovers had a huge effect on the game. If Wake wouldnt have turned the ball over and kept it close, they could have run their offense how they wanted. When they got into a hole, they had to throw, which went away from their strengths.

Im gonna watch the game again, but from what I saw last night, our Dline got pushed around quite abit against the run in the first half. I think you would agree with that?

Okay, so basically you're saying that if our defense sucked they would be able to play better on offense? Uhmm, okay.. sure, but our defense doesn't suck.. so what's your point? The turnovers were a result of our defense dominating their offense, suppose that our defense played at the same level but, didn't create those turnovers.. that still doesn't make their offense move the ball on us....