Showdown in Austin

Where: Austin, TX

When: 8pm CST

TV: ESPNU - TimeWarner Lincoln channel 235(SD)/112(HD), Cox Omaha on channel 220(SD)/737(HD)

Radio: Lincoln - 107.3FM

Huskers, Longhorns Set to Battle on ESPNU

John Cook likes where his squad is entering the final few weeks of regular season play.

His Nebraska team, ranked No. 2 in the polls and RPI, needs a challenge, a test to find out exactly where it is in relation to how well it will play when everything is on the line in December. And there's always a lingering question or two about a team's ability to compete at a high level long enough to play a pair of back-to-back regional-level matches.

Cook and his Huskers will find out a lot about their toughness and ability to compete over the next four days as they hit the meat of the league schedule. Nebraska opens the week tonight (Wednesday, Oct. 27) on the road against No. 10 Texas and then returns home to face No. 12 Iowa State on Saturday, Oct. 30.

Tonight's match can be seen nationally on ESPNU. It will tip off at 9 p.m. Eastern. First serve can't come soon enough for Cook.

"I'm excited to see how we compete, how we play," Cook said. "This is a good test for us to see where we're at and all the things we've been working on, if they're going to hold up under stress. As I told the team, this is an opportunity. These teams are going to bring out the best in us.

"How I look at it as a coach is this is going to be a regional weekend. You're going to play two (top-15) teams, so this is a great mid-sesaon or second-half of the Big 12 check on "Can we handle this? How are we going to handle it?" and see where we need to go from there to be ready for December. It's a great opportunity."

The opportunity the Huskers (19-1, 11-0 Big 12) have immediately in front of them is a chance to sweep the Longhorns (14-5, 9-2) for the first time since 2006. NU has had difficulty handling UT, especially on the road in the past four seasons. Nebraska has lost three straight in Austin, and the win earlier this year at home snapped a four-match losing streak overall to the Longhorns.

"Hopefully it motivates them to want to get a win," Cook said of this senior class's past struggles in Austin. "It's a tough place to play, but it's one of the regional sites, so we're going to have to go somewhere tough to play (in postseason). Like I said, I think it's great challenge and I think it's going to help us focus to do what we need to do to be successful on the road."

Don't let Texas's record, with five early season losses, fool you. Cook is quick to point out that the setbacks came against highly ranked competition. He believes they're as talented a team as Nebraska will see this season, with as much physical talent as any squad in the country.

Texas's talent and the fact that Nebraska is playing away from home will be part of the stress Cook wants to see the Huskers overcome.

"We'll probably be in some close games down there. We'll see how our emotional toughness is," Cook said. "I think (the Huskers) are feeling really confident and I think there's a sense of urgency this time of year that they want to go down there and do well."

Obviously all the ladies were on their laptops or iphones on HuskerBoard awaiting pages to refresh so they could get the latest in the AG decision.

Hopefully they can pull it together, they looked very bad that first set.

And I hate Faucett, I mean I'd probably donkeypunch her in a heartbeat, but I just loathe her.