Get Ready...

Interesting rule change in Rose Bowl selection process. Thought this was relevant since we're heading to the Big Ten next season.

As many of you know, the Rose Bowl selection procedures have changed for the next four-year BCS cycle.

The first time the Rose Bowl loses the Big Ten or Pac-10 champion to the BCS national title game, it must select an eligible team from a non-AQ league. This only would happen once during the four-year cycle.

But what if a team from a non-AQ league reaches the national title game on its own?

This question has become relevant because Pac-10 member Oregon is ranked No. 1 nationally, while two teams from non-AQ leagues -- No. 3 TCU and No. 4 Boise State -- aren't far behind.

It's very possible we could see the Pac-10 champion (Oregon) against a team from a non-AQ conference (TCU or Boise State) in the title game Jan. 10 in Glendale.

If that's the case, would the Rose Bowl still have to replace Oregon with a team from a non-AQ league?

I checked with the Rose Bowl and the answer is no. If TCU goes to the national title game, the Rose Bowl would not have to select Boise State, or vice versa. However, the Rose Bowl could select TCU or Boise State as an at-large selection and fulfill its obligation to take a team from a non-AQ league once during the four-year cycle.

This presents an interesting decision for the folks in Pasadena if, say, Boise State is available for an at-large pick. The Rose Bowl could pick the Broncos, who have won BCS bowl games and have spent all season in the national spotlight. The bowl game also would be off the hook with teams from non-AQ leagues for the next three years.

Alternatively, the Rose Bowl could stick with the traditional Big Ten versus Pac-10 matchup and select a team like Stanford to face the Big Ten champion. Stanford certainly looks worthy of a BCS bowl, and it's likely that the Rose Bowl will once again lose the Big Ten or Pac-10 champ to the title game sometime in the next three years.

Just wanted to clue you in on what might happen when the bowl selections are announced Dec. 5. It should be an interesting day.

LINK

I dunno. We wouldn't be playing for a MNC, so it would be fun to see Pedey's Pitt get demolished. I'm sure the camera would pan to that fat Pedey face every time we hung another TD on them, on the way to half a hunderd. I believe I would enjoy it!

OMG why are people already looking toward a BCS bowl game? We still have to beat KU, A&M, Colorado, and whoever in the south. A lot of people including myself were looking past ISU and looked what happened, we squeaked past ISU.......in OT. Lets just focus on our next opponent.

I hear ya chuckling big chicken. I feel the same way, but this is a college football message board and things like this always get discussed during a good year.

On a side note , Nebraska-Pitt sounds like chit and doesn't excite me at all.

I believe the Big East BCS bid rotates between the Fiesta, Orange and Sugar Bowl. Last year Cincinnati played in the Sugar and the year before in the Orange so...correct me if I'm wrong.

If Pitt wins out they will be ranked at the end of the season and a good team to play but there's some weird possibilities this year. Stanford could be locked out of the Rose Bowl in favor of Boise or TCU if Auburn wins out. A 1 loss LSU could be locked out of any BCS bowl if Auburn loses one (and goes to Sugar). Either of those scenarios are going to upset a lot of people and more so with a Big East team still getting their AQ.