Nebraska Football Show.....Bo calls out the fans

It was quieter where I was. Guy in front of me stands up most of the time but DOESN'T yell! If you are gonna stand up then MAKE SOME NOISE. I don't think I've ever seen him cheer, he just stands there, he's not a blue hair either. My dad who is 80 makes more noise at the games than this guy.

Some of us were yelling when defense was on the field in my section, but many more were pretty quiet.

Sounds like me as a student back in the early 80's when Turner and I were freshmen together...

(I've now quit going for superstitious reasons as we seem to lose most of the games I've attended since..as a non-student).

I was just so into the games that I hated un-nessesary noise..It was distracting and I wanted to concentrate on what play I would call next..Didn't like crowd noise much as a player, either and usually blocked it out.

After about reading a page and a half of this, I have only one thing to add...

What?

I think some of us are trying to display our ability to remember all the french words we learned over the years.

"French Horn"

"French Curve"

(Were a couple of threads merged here? I don't remember reading the first few pages before)

No, they weren't. It's possible that they were the first game, I can't remember that. But we did that the whole season, and there were games where there was no opposing student section. It was just us screaming our heads off and our student section looking at us like we were crazy. We wanted to be loud, to affect the atmosphere, so that's what we did.

Your argument is that people should get into the game no matter the result on the field, but this is purely an impossible goal to achieve. As humans, we respond directly to stimulus. For example, I'm not about to cry for any old reason, but I might cry if someone close to me dies. What you're saying is that I should be crying all the time regardless of the stimuli being presented to me.

We just don't work that way and most fans don't work that way. A good friend of mine goes to LSU and even he says that the crowd can be very stagnant at times. It's just totally unrealistic to think that most fans are going to hoot and holler when 1/3 of the team performance is going great and the other 2/3 are playing terribly.

Besides, you know as well as I do that a lot of the stadium is full of older people and the student section is probably half full of fair weather fans who just want to be in the stands to be there, not because of the game.

After about reading a page and a half of this, I have only one thing to add...

What?

I think some of us are trying to display our ability to remember all the french words we learned over the years.

"French Horn"

"French Curve"

(Were a couple of threads merged here? I don't remember reading the first few pages before)

French ti....never mind.

No, they weren't. It's possible that they were the first game, I can't remember that. But we did that the whole season, and there were games where there was no opposing student section. It was just us screaming our heads off and our student section looking at us like we were crazy. We wanted to be loud, to affect the atmosphere, so that's what we did.

Your argument is that people should get into the game no matter the result on the field, but this is purely an impossible goal to achieve. As humans, we respond directly to stimulus. For example, I'm not about to cry for any old reason, but I might cry if someone close to me dies. What you're saying is that I should be crying all the time regardless of the stimuli being presented to me.

We just don't work that way and most fans don't work that way. A good friend of mine goes to LSU and even he says that the crowd can be very stagnant at times. It's just totally unrealistic to think that most fans are going to hoot and holler when 1/3 of the team performance is going great and the other 2/3 are playing terribly.

Besides, you know as well as I do that a lot of the stadium is full of older people and the student section is probably half full of fair weather fans who just want to be in the stands to be there, not because of the game.

I've already had this exact argument with someone. Do you cheer when something spectacular happens? Yes, of course you do, it's inevitable.

But that doesn't make you incapable of cheering at any other time. You don't HAVE to be that way. If you choose to be, I don't really care, I'm like that sometimes. But I'm not going to get all butt-hurt afterwards when somebody calls me out for not being loud.

When the Blackshirts go onto the field, haven't you ever made a conscious decision to be loud? Have you ever tried to be the first person in the stands to be loud, to try to disrupt the other team? Eventually everyone joins in, because football stadiums are giant cesspools of groupthink, but the first few people to start screaming their heads off usually make a conscious decision to start making noise.

The idea that, "Well, it goes against human nature," is correct. But sometimes, human nature sucks. Saying that it's not the crowd's fault for not being loud against Kansas because it was just Kansas and it was a boring game, and the offense didn't play as well as some people would have liked... That's like saying that it was OK for the team not to play up to their potential against SDSU because it was just SDSU, and it's human nature to overlook opponents or to play down to your competition. Just because something is human nature doesn't make it right. Sometimes you have to fight human nature.

All of the “accoutremois” of the role, as the Winnebago Man might say,

The word we're looking for is accoutrements. Je parle un peu de Francais.

"French Fries"?

"French Toast"?!?!

French kiss

French Dip...oh man, I know what I'm having for lunch!

Lak I tells the Mexicans I work with in my best rednekian accent, "Speak American"!

Then one invariably starts spouting something in Navaho.

Found this article rather interesting, i hope the same outcome can come out of our next home game like it did back in 1986. Regardless of temperature (Because it looks to be rather cold for that game too).

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101117/BIGRED/711179824

Oh boy here we go. So CLEARLY TO wasn't ready to be HC, clearly he wasn't in tune with the tradition, clearly he was out of line and his tenure will end badly. :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm :sarcasm

• Fire 1

I've already had this exact argument with someone. Do you cheer when something spectacular happens? Yes, of course you do, it's inevitable.

But that doesn't make you incapable of cheering at any other time. You don't HAVE to be that way. If you choose to be, I don't really care, I'm like that sometimes. But I'm not going to get all butt-hurt afterwards when somebody calls me out for not being loud.

When the Blackshirts go onto the field, haven't you ever made a conscious decision to be loud? Have you ever tried to be the first person in the stands to be loud, to try to disrupt the other team? Eventually everyone joins in, because football stadiums are giant cesspools of groupthink, but the first few people to start screaming their heads off usually make a conscious decision to start making noise.

The idea that, "Well, it goes against human nature," is correct. But sometimes, human nature sucks. Saying that it's not the crowd's fault for not being loud against Kansas because it was just Kansas and it was a boring game, and the offense didn't play as well as some people would have liked... That's like saying that it was OK for the team not to play up to their potential against SDSU because it was just SDSU, and it's human nature to overlook opponents or to play down to your competition. Just because something is human nature doesn't make it right. Sometimes you have to fight human nature.

I'm not upset that Bo called out the fans. I'm upset because of the premise of the situation. He called us out for not being loud during the game when his team was playing far below expectations on Special Teams and Offense. To me, this is not a fan issue, because we respond directly to what is being presented to us. Just as you say there are a fans that are loud no matter what, there are fans that are quiet no matter what. Furthermore, most fans responds to what is happening on the field.

Honestly, I think you're giving the team too much credit and the fans too little. We pay to see them play. We pay to see them win. To me, this is a lot like the sellout streak. If Nebraska keeps winning, we show up. If Nebraska starts to lose all the time, we won't show up and the streak will end. Very similar circumstances here, and I believe BOTH have more to do with the team than they do the fans.

I'm all for your stance that people should go against their human nature in these instances, but I think I'm just seeing this for what it is - people won't. If Bo wants ALL the support he can muster at the games, his team has to perform well in all facets of the game. Does it suck? Yeah, sometimes. But it's just the way it is. It can't be changed unless you mass mind control everybody. :LOLtartar

• Fire 1

I'm not upset that Bo called out the fans. I'm upset because of the premise of the situation. He called us out for not being loud during the game when his team was playing far below expectations on Special Teams and Offense. To me, this is not a fan issue, because we respond directly to what is being presented to us. Just as you say there are a fans that are loud no matter what, there are fans that are quiet no matter what. Furthermore, most fans responds to what is happening on the field.

Honestly, I think you're giving the team too much credit and the fans too little. We pay to see them play. We pay to see them win. To me, this is a lot like the sellout streak. If Nebraska keeps winning, we show up. If Nebraska starts to lose all the time, we won't show up and the streak will end. Very similar circumstances here, and I believe BOTH have more to do with the team than they do the fans.

I'm all for your stance that people should go against their human nature in these instances, but I think I'm just seeing this for what it is - people won't. If Bo wants ALL the support he can muster at the games, his team has to perform well in all facets of the game. Does it suck? Yeah, sometimes. But it's just the way it is. It can't be changed unless you mass mind control everybody. :LOLtartar

That's fair, I don't really think it's going to change, either. But Bo Pelini's a football coach, and he's a no-excuses kind of guy. Bo is about execution, "You have a job to do, just do it." When his team is playing against anybody, whether it's SDSU or Kansas, he holds them to the same standard - execute. They don't always meet that standard, but he always holds them to it.

In this case, the crowd has one job to do. Be loud. They weren't, and Bo called them on it. He was honest and fair.

While I'm sure Bo understands the nature of crowds reacting to the team's performance, he also sees it from the perspective of a football coach: "You have a job to do, just do it. No excuses." Is it going to happen? Probably not. But the fact that Bo looks at the atmosphere like that, like the crowd is part of the team, like it's part of the game, and that as such, the crowd needs to execute just like the team does... That's pretty cool if you ask me. I just think it's too bad that so many fans don't feel the same way.