Can Callahan get it done?

Foppa

I base my judgements on improvement, not championships at this point, and I have allready started to see improvement, so thus far Callahan has done a decent job this year.

I thought that the change was about not letting the program slide into mediocrity, and from what billy c has been spouting "winning championships." :wtf

I know that the defense has played well through 2 games, but besides that, what improvements have been made?? The coverage units seem better, the return game is about what is was last year, and the offense is getting progressively worse.

As far as who is good and who isnt, let me put this to bed. Its only week 2 of the season. Its pretty obvious to see when a team isnt playing very well, but its way too soon to tell who can be considered good. Give it at least 5 or 6 games. Remember 01, NU was thought of as the best team in the nation, until the day after Thanksgiving in Boulder.

I think referring to 2007 already was pretty much what the article was about. Do we as Husker fans really have that much patience waiting for 2007?

I think its sad. I remember when after a bad bowl loss we would start talking about next year. Now, we're not even 3 games into the season and we're talking about 2007 :wtf

I think its sad. I remember when after a bad bowl loss we would start talking about next year. Now, we're not even 3 games into the season and we're talking about 2007 :wtf

I think we're talking about 07 as optimistically looking toward competing for a National Title, and realizing that we probably will not do that this year. I for one am excited about the guys we'll return next year and in 07. Heck, I remember looking forward to Ahman Green being a 3 year player after seeing him his freshman year, Frazier the same, etc...Not really unlike the "Good Ole' Days".

I don't understand what makes people think that the total overhaul of a program can happen in a year (or 2 or 3).

I would respond by telling you that this program wasnt "broken" to the point that it needed a "ground-up" restoration. Did changes need to be made, did it need to be tinkered with, yes, but starting it all from scratch went overboard.

It will take time. Could someone name me a coach that could come in and install a non-option offense quicker and with the players from last year?

This is a common misconception. I dont think that anyone expected billy c. to run option, however, we have been told that with the Raiders "I ran the ball 70 times a game, and I threw the ball 70 times a game" or whatever the numbers were. Point being, if this teams strengths were power running and a qb that could get on the edge, then they should have called plays to optimize those strengths. We have been told how versitile the WCO is, yet billy c hasnt shown that his play calling and game planning is versitile enough to take advantage of that.

As far as BC's schemes, I'm not 100% sold. However, he knows what he wants to make his offense work, and he's getting the players in here to help. Taylor has less D-1 experience than Dailey at this time last year. Of our 5 O-linemen, we have an average center and JUCO tackle to go w/ an option guy, a cripple and a defensive tackle. Our best receiver is a sophomore w/2 games of D1 experience, and the next best guy could end up being an 18 year old true freshman. An All-American caliber TE goes out, we don't have a stud to replace him. Very raw RB's after Ross will only get better. A defense that LOOKS impressive so far but has yet to be really tested; however think about '07, with Octavien, Ruud, McKeon, Dillard, and any other sophomore stud LB's we can land this year. Suh, Potter, and Turner on the DL. Grixby/Green Sr CB's w/possibly Leon Jackson in the secondary.

I know it takes a mix of players/coaches, but I like the outlook of the players we're gonna have. I think the coaches can adjust and IMHO I think we're on the right track.

A defense that LOOKS impressive so far but has yet to be really tested; however think about '07, with Octavien, Ruud, McKeon, Dillard, and any other sophomore stud LB's we can land this year. Suh, Potter, and Turner on the DL. Grixby/Green Sr CB's w/possibly Leon Jackson in the secondary.

I have to say that THAT should make for some awsome Blackshirt play!

Nice post, BTW. :thumbs

I think referring to 2007 already was pretty much what the article was about. Do we as Husker fans really have that much patience waiting for 2007? Earlier in the year, most even on here said they'd make their assessment of BC and current staff after this year. Now it appears as though we're giving him another free pass this year, and we're awaiting next year.

I really could care less whether we have to wait another year or not. I mean seriously, we're not going to be playing for a title this year. The best we can hope for is to be in the race for the Big 12 North and play in a bowl game. How many years under TO were we faced with the same thing? However, not making a bowl game and having another losing season will really blow.

I just keep hearing these words ring in my head "we will not allow this team to slip into mediocrity and surrender the Big 12 to the likes of Texas and Oklahoma". Last year, I think we can all agree we slipped into mediocrity. This year, I'm sorry but the Big 12 is owned by OU or one of the Texas schools. So far, our offense is ranked in the 90's I believe for total offense. We have started the year out better than last year, and we should be 3-0 after this weekend. Heading into the Big 12, I think it's a little more than optimisitic to think we can win 50% or more of our games unless the offense improves and improves a lot.

My biggest fear heading into 2007 is the impatience of the fans putting pressure on the coaching staff to play the heralded Beck. If we start Beck next year, it will be our third QB in 3 years. If we've learned nothing else so far this year, we need an experienced QB to run this offense. 2007 could be another season shot to hell if we don't keep a seasoned player in there!