This offense

SnowBigRed

Unsportsmanlike conduct just nailed it on the head. How come KSU, Colorado, Cincy last year, etc. can put in a back up quarterback and still score a TD or two? I, and I'm sure a ton of others, aren't expecting 40 pts a game from the backup or hobbled quarterback. All we are really asking for is some type of production. Is 20-25 pts a game too much to ask? For the love of all that is holy in this world, I don't think so.

Maybe none of those teams are down to a #3 guy.

Maybe if we were playing Kellogg or Washington, I would consider this a viable excuse. However, Green has started football games for this team and was considered by many before the season to maybe be the starter. Offensive coaching staff has no clue how to utilize talent that they have on the field. They would rather just play it conservative and hope that all of us blame it on this, that or the other thing when they have a crappy outing. Green has some skill, but he is not fit for the zone-read scheme, therefore he struggles.

Shawn Watson is not the answer. Do we occasionally see offensive production? Yes. When do we have our production? When we hit the big play, and most of them have been running plays. To me, this is more of a testament to the athletes on the field and a little bit of luck due to mispositioned defenders. When do we ever put together a solid scoring drive? We never do. Whenever we put together a drive, it ends up stalling in the red zone for a field goal.

We can look at the offense and dissect it and say "Oh we only need to change this or change that. We only need our receivers to catch the ball or Taylor to throw better passes. Our offensive line just needs to be more physical." I'm tired of these excuses. It's been the same $%*# for years now. I don't care how it is accomplished or what the reasons are for it not being accomplished, but this offense needs to be more consistent. Two touchdowns in our last 6 losses??? That isn't top 10 material. We're better than this and we need to expect better than this. I'm praying that there is some stupid Athletic Director out there that is interested in Shawn as a head coach and hopefully he takes Gilmore with him.

i said it at the beginning of the season and at the end of last year....Watson sucks, he just plain sucks.

yeah i've been saying it all year. even after washington and k-state i was just like... eh good performance but i'm still not on his boat. any coordinator with this amount of complaints is obviously doing something wrong

Bo is the Head Coach. He is responsible for the whole team. He has to share some of the blame if the offensive gameplan stinks. He also could override any play that is called. You don't think he is listening when the plays are being sent down? You don't think that if he didn't like the play that was being called he wouldn't change it before it was signaled in? He shouldn't be immune from the backlash.

If he isn't involved in the offensive gameplan then he isn't doing his job. IMO

Maybe if we were playing Kellogg or Washington, I would consider this a viable excuse. However, Green has started football games for this team and was considered by many before the season to maybe be the starter. Offensive coaching staff has no clue how to utilize talent that they have on the field. They would rather just play it conservative and hope that all of us blame it on this, that or the other thing when they have a crappy outing. Green has some skill, but he is not fit for the zone-read scheme, therefore he struggles.

Wildly inflated and unrealistic expectations for Green, who IS the #3 guy, does not change what he is.

Green was a project the moment he walked on campus and has been thrown into the fire, and has perhaps not surprisingly, not progressed as much as he should have.

Wildly inflated and unrealistic expectations for Green, who IS the #3 guy, does not change what he is.

Green was a project the moment he walked on campus and has been thrown into the fire, and has perhaps not surprisingly, not progressed as much as he should have.

Therfore he is not being coached up the way he needs to be, correct? That's my point. If he was such a big project, Watson should have recognized that, redshirted him (or whatever), and continued to coach him up to utilize the talent he does have. No matter how you look at it, Green does have talent. That 20 yard out he rifled in against A&M was an absolutely unbelievable throw. Green is not suited for a zone read offense that relies on quick decisions and quick feet to succeed. That is not his strength, yet this O staff thinks they can morph him into the next coming of Mike Vick. Not gonna happen.

Cody Green is not the #3 quarterback. He is the 1B quarterback. The A&M depth chart has him listed immediately behind Martinez:

Quarterback: (#3) Taylor Martinez, 6-1, 195, RFr., Corona, Calif.

- OR - (#17) Cody Green, 6-4, 225, So., Dayton, Texas

- OR - (#5) Zac Lee, 6-2, 215, Sr., San Francisco, Calif.

LINK

You cannot use this as an excuse to cover for Watson. If Green isn't ready to go by this time in his career he's either a complete bust or horribly trained. Either way, if he cannot move this offense he needs to be benched. We cannot get much worse from Ron Kellogg or Brion Carnes, and frankly, it's looking like Carnes should never have redshirted. It is the responsibility of the QB coach to correctly gauge the ability of his quarterbacks. It is glaringly obvious that Green's ability has been mistaken.

Zoogies, you've spent the better part of several threads deflecting blame from Watson. In your opinion, what is Watson responsible for?

i really dont want to completely say our offense is bad, but just think about this. our offense is good with martinez because you have to be ready for a martinez run, read option, power run game, pa passing game, passing game. With Zac Lee last year teams just had to worry about stopping our backs. Zac lee this year woulda been a different story with a healthy arm i think. and here is the big problem, Cody Green just does not have it!!!! i think he is a great athlete and could be very useful somewhere else, not at qb. he plays nervous. he plays not to screw up, adn thats when you screw up. you cant run it with him cuz he most likely will fumble. he cant throw it cuz he is too nervous and just doesnt have it. all teams have to do is stop rex and roy. im not opposed to putting in kellog, latravis or even pulling the redshirt off carnes. get another pahse of the game in there that the d has to be worried about or well continue to see a 1d team.

Therfore he is not being coached up the way he needs to be, correct? That's my point. If he was such a big project, Watson should have recognized that, redshirted him (or whatever), and continued to coach him up to utilize the talent he does have. No matter how you look at it, Green does have talent. That 20 yard out he rifled in against A&M was an absolutely unbelievable throw. Green is not suited for a zone read offense that relies on quick decisions and quick feet to succeed. That is not his strength, yet this O staff thinks they can morph him into the next coming of Mike Vick. Not gonna happen.

Goodness, you think Green wasn't in line to be redshirted last year? We didn't really have a choice, did we? Two guys in front of him went out of the equation after he came in. Spano tore his ACL twice, and Witt transferred in the Spring. All of a sudden this kid went from #4 to #2 because we literally didn't have a single other guy there. They even threw in a languishing LB at QB to be the emergency #3.

It is simply fact that Green was a big project, which is something the STAFF recognized, not fans for the most part, who saw 4 stars and images of a starting freshman dual threat QB like Tommie Frazier. I am sure he is talented, but again, he has a yet to put it together. And the lack of being able to redshirt has damaged his development when he should be a redshirt freshman right now that spent last year honing his craft instead of two years in a row with live bullets only.

I don't know really what kind of offense Green is best suited for, so I won't comment on that.

Cody Green is not the #3 quarterback. He is the 1B quarterback. The A&M depth chart has him listed immediately behind Martinez:

Knapp, that's ridiculous and you know it! Since when has Bo really cared about what he put on a depth chart, and didn't we love him for that fresh new approach? Regardless of what is written on there (Zac is out, after all), the QB pecking order, when everyone is healthy, goes Martinez, Lee, Green. I think we saw that as the year went on.

You cannot use this as an excuse to cover for Watson. If Green isn't ready to go by this time in his career he's either a complete bust or horribly trained. Either way, if he cannot move this offense he needs to be benched. We cannot get much worse from Ron Kellogg or Brion Carnes, and frankly, it's looking like Carnes should never have redshirted. It is the responsibility of the QB coach to correctly gauge the ability of his quarterbacks. It is glaringly obvious that Green's ability has been mistaken.

"We are down to our third choice of QB" is just an excuse to cover for Watson?

Now you are saying it is Watson's fault that one player is not ready to go by the second year of his career. Again, Green is a project whose development has been thrown off schedule with the lack of a redshirt year that he needed. He has improved since coming on campus of course, and he definitely has some serious physical talent. But for whatever reason, he just has not put it together on the field yet. And even then we are talking about one guy on the list of QBs, who is third in the pecking order right now, when we've seen some pretty good things done with a couple other guys and how they were utilized. One guy hasn't exceeded expectations and all of a sudden Watson is awful at developing QBs? I guess we may as well dismiss Tim Beck for Collins Okafor.

I would be careful with any "How much worse could it be if <random coach/player> were inserted." As bad as it was with Green, I got to think he's a much better option than a guy like walk-on Ron Kellogg, whom we've heard some good things about but would limit everything we can do out there to probably absurd levels. As a disclaimer, that was speculative, but honestly as bad as Green has performed, it could always be worse.

I figure Green at least gets the shot, but RK3 would be the Plan B option at this point.

Zoogies, you've spent the better part of several threads deflecting blame from Watson. In your opinion, what is Watson responsible for?

The #32 offense in the country? 13th, if you go by yards-per-play. Averaging 426 yards a game.

I am not defending Watson where blame is, in my view, being misdirected. I answered this as well in another thread, but I guess it's worth restating. He works with QBs and designs the offense out of the pieces he is given. The most frequent offenders in terms of blame directed at the OC, in my view: 1) the pieces are broken and we expect top notch results (i.e, our WRs), 2) Bo is trying to be conservative and we expect glitzy stats and a wide-open attack, and 3) finally adjustments and tweaks and trickery coming from the offense that is hardly obvious at the surface level (including to me) because the only sort of thing that falls into that category for most (including me) are double reverses and halfback passes.

All told, I think Watson has done a pretty good job with what he has. Barney I'm skeptical, and Gilmore I'm extremely skeptical.

Zoogies my good friend, you are without doubt the numbero uno SW apologists alive. If you were our AD, SW would be here the next 30 years, couching out of a wheelchair, leading our Huskers to endless 17 - 3 type losses but at your press table every single week, I can see you now, "Wow...SW called a great game!....Just wait until next year, we'll be unstoppable!!". To be versatile and keep the reporters on their toes you would throw in other zingers like...."Yeah, this new qb just ran for 300 yds and passed for 200 yds...so what? We just need another Z. Lee and we'll show the world what "3 & out" really means!!"

In some parralel universe I know you're having great, great fun. :corndance

LINK

Depth chart? Seriously? It hasn't changed since week 1, look at the safeties on the depth chart, do you see our starting safeties even listed on the depth chart in the two deep?

Green is a bust or horribly trained? Maybe he doesn't have the confidence of his head coach and hasn't been given the opportunity to be the best he could be? Carnes shouldn't have redshirted? Kid came into camp under 180 lbs, he's got talent, but isn't physically ready at this point.

You are assuming a lot, like i've posted elsewhere, Watson and Cody are doing what Bo has told them to, Cody has pointed out where he thinks he can be more effective to the staff, but they don't agree. Bo would rather take his chances on defense than trust Lee last year, or Cody this year.

LINK

Depth chart? Seriously? It hasn't changed since week 1, look at the safeties on the depth chart, do you see our starting safeties even listed on the depth chart in the two deep?

Green is a bust or horribly trained? Maybe he doesn't have the confidence of his head coach and hasn't been given the opportunity to be the best he could be? Carnes shouldn't have redshirted? Kid came into camp under 180 lbs, he's got talent, but isn't physically ready at this point.

You are assuming a lot, like i've posted elsewhere, Watson and Cody are doing what Bo has told them to, Cody has pointed out where he thinks he can be more effective to the staff, but they don't agree. Bo would rather take his chances on defense than trust Lee last year, or Cody this year.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you "really" saying Bo is dictating to SW what Cody can use? Even "if" true he's surely not ordering the playcalling? I find it very hard to believe Bo would be ordering all those passes on 3rd & short (resulting in 3 & outs)/horizonatl passes/NP at qb/etc, etc.

Regarding last year our offense was so horribly inept it's an open question if Bo clamped down to hard. It was a sloppy mess with no easy answers for Bo. Yeah, we're there again now too. I wonder if he's getting tired of having the blackshirts carry the whole load?