Bo: "You ever seen anything like that?"

Hercules

This is a good start, but we need more. The question is how much do Nebraska opponents get flagged when they play Nebraska versus their averages against all other opponents? That will really tell the tale.

As I've said, the refs are rarely going to do something blatant to influence a game. It's much harder to detect small penalties that, when combined together, subtlety influence the outcome. Calling holding on Nebraska is an example. But the easiest way to do it is to refrain from penalizing the other team. That's how these guys are getting it down.

I'm willing to bet that our opponents have season-lows in penalties when they play us.

Did the research, its not as damning as you would think: Sorry for the formatting, don't know how to fix it :LOLtartar

Team: Penalties vs. NU - Yards Season Avg - Yards

Kansas St. 4-30 5.18 - 41.3

Texas 4-53 6.45 - 58.1

Oklahoma St. 8-84 6.09 - 63.6

Missouri 7-40 5.91 - 52.9

Iowa St. 3-40 6.45 - 51.3

Kansas 1-9 6.36 - 60.5

Texas A&M 2-10 8.7 - 68.8

As you can see, things start to get weird after Missouri. I'm not sure what to make of this - three games doesn't seem to be a big enough sample size to draw a conclusion. On the other hand, put into the context of when we became likely Big 12 North Champs (i.e. after we beat Missouri) things do look a little bit murkier.

Furthermore, raw stats don't take into account the sheer number of calls that are just plain weird (Gabbert forward-progress, Rex Burkhead's exorcist impersonation, the Eric Martin Suspension)or simple no-calls (i.e holding).

So anyways, for those who are curious that's how this breaks down.

Beebe doesn't strike me as a forward thinking individual. If he decided to screw us with the refs it probably didn't occur to him until after we were the clear cut favorites...

I'd also like to know the officiating crews for each game.

There is no way in the world that the league office tells the officials to screw our team. There is no way in the world that the big 12 crews formed a conspiracy to screw us. We are an aggressive defensive football team. Aggressive D's are going to get more calls against them than "bend don't break" soft defenses. The Pelinis do I believe impart an "us against the world, take no prosinoners" philosophy to the team. In many ways that is a good thing, but it Aldo leads to more penalties.

Rather than be paranoid and whine about the double personal foul call, think!! No ref is looking at where another players Hands are in a pile unless it is on a football or slugging somebody. The kicking was obvious and very often the refs catch the retaliation which is why a smart coach instills in his players the need to not retaliate. The second will come nearly every time a player goes off on a ref. Bo was begging for a flag on the bench much of the game. Yes the roughing call was terrible. a conspiracy? I doubt it. picking up the interference flag was very questionable, but hardly evidence of a conspiracy.

The truth is that we lost the game. The refs certainly didn't help. However if you cannot score more than nine points, we should blame what was obviously an inept offensive performance. We are beginning to sound like crybaby Stoops. I do think that Bo worried too much about yelling at the refs, his qb, his assistant coaches and too little time on how to best get ten points! Negativity and constant complaining about circumstances no matter how well founded usually aren't the best ways to lead. Dwelling on adversity that has occurred becomes a distraction in bo's case IMO. He's still new to being a head coach. I hope he doesn't do something incredibly stupid before he becomes a great coach.

This is a great post! Yes the flag against Cotton was correct and the second one against him was for him saying something! The only flag that was questionable is the late hit-- after 5 PFs, so you really think they where not going to call ANYTHING close

The personal foul on Ricky Henry was horsesh*t. The pass interference on 3rd down was horsesh*t. The roughing the passer call was horsesh*t. No one knows anything about the Eric Martin personal fouls because the refs were too incompetent to explain what he did. Same with the illegal formations. Enjoy your gift. Go back to the Aggie boards and grab some nuts.

So out of the 16 flags which where not earned

Cotton kick -- going to get called every time -- the second flag was after he said something to the ref

Martins 2 -- No replay so no one one can say what was done or said

Bo -- really after dropping the f bomb to the ref

PI which one the one where the back is on the ground -- or the one where the back has his arm hooked around the chest

The only call that is questionalbe and IMO a bad call the late hit on the qb -- and after 5 PFs did you not think that would be called. Anything even close was going to be called

then you have all the false starts and such -- only 2 holding calls and if the refs where out to screw NU that is the easies call to do it on

If they where trying to make sure you lost why let a 35 yard run stand out of the end zone.

You are conveniently IGNORING the other half of the argument. Quite frankly the most important part. Two...two penalties on Texas A&M all game. 2nd most penalized team in the league and Two penalies...please address this. Why do you think it was only 2?

Cotton kick -- going to get called every time -- the second flag was after he said something to the ref

PI which one the one where the back is on the ground -- or the one where the back has his arm hooked around the chest

The only call that is questionalbe and IMO a bad call the late hit on the qb -- and after 5 PFs did you not think that would be called. Anything even close was going to be called

then you have all the false starts and such -- only 2 holding calls and if the refs where out to screw NU that is the easies call to do it on

If they where trying to make sure you lost why let a 35 yard run stand out of the end zone.

You are conveniently IGNORING the other half of the argument. Quite frankly the most important part. Two...two penalties on Texas A&M all game. 2nd most penalized team in the league and Two penalies...please address this. Why do you think it was only 2?

~crickets~

I've been a general believer that the refs in the Big 12 are just inept, as they've made a lot of bad calls and have missed some blatant stuff not just against us, but other teams as well. I didn't even get up in arms about the 0:01 call, even though it was a bit questionable.

After last night, though, I'm not sure what to think. There's no doubt that we got absolutely hosed by the refs, and I fully expect the school to start laying into the league about the horrendous officiating. We did ourselves no favors by the way we played, but the refs ultimately decided the outcome of the game.

You know I really don't like this argument because Texas A&M missed opportunities as well. Kids make mistakes and sometimes plays are made sometimes not. It's part of the game. The problem is the refs taking the game out of the kids hands repeatedly in the game. Playing poorly is part of the game and human nature. We aren't perfect. We can't be. Again you usually see poor officiating in a game. You see it go BOTH ways. Not last night.

Never have I seen such an effort by an officiating crew to tilt a game in one teams favor. The reason doesn't matter. Something needs to be done. More needs to be brought up. The SEC coaches rag on the refs when they see a problem. If Bo was going to do anything last night he SHOULD'VE taken a stand. Wouldn't be the first time a big12 coach has gone after the officials at the podium.

Do you think every there no missed calls on NU -- look at the batted ball (only one in the game) Hands to the face -- It just blows my mind that you think they are out to take the CCG from you -- if so why let the OSU game go the way it did or MIZZ -- they where the two best teams that you played and would have been the one to pull that. If they where out to make sure you loose you think you get a 35 yard run out of the shadow of your endzone. The Off is not at good as some BR fans want to think. 17 against SDSU. NU is greatly improved but they are not a top 10 team.

Do you think every there no missed calls on NU -- look at the batted ball (only one in the game) Hands to the face -- It just blows my mind that you think they are out to take the CCG from you -- if so why let the OSU game go the way it did or MIZZ -- they where the two best teams that you played and would have been the one to pull that. If they where out to make sure you loose you think you get a 35 yard run out of the shadow of your endzone. The Off is not at good as some BR fans want to think. 17 against SDSU. NU is greatly improved but they are not a top 10 team.

I can't answer that. Beebe is an idiot. So I can't answer that. The best thing to do is wait till the CCG since they'd have to do it against CU next week in order to keep us out of the game. I think it's probably more a case of the officiating crew out to get Bo. I don't understand how any person can watch that game and not find it poorly officiating in one direction. To go after other calls NU should've had called against them means you believe NU played so sloppy of a game (and A&M squeaky clean) that it had to be the most disgusting performance you've ever witnessed by a team.

Oh and NU is a top 10 defense. Our offense can play top 10 when Taylor is healthy. If we were to look at the current top 10 right now we may find one (boise st) that has played lights out all season. I came away from this game wondering how Texas A&M had won as many games as they had. Your team is very average. You beat a Nebraska team with a bum quarterback (who didn't even play the whole game) and you won by a grand total of 3 points at home with a 16-2 penalty advantage and a +2 turnover advantage. By all accounts we should'nt have been in that game. Don't fool yourself. Nebraska is in another level than A&M and the coming years will show that.

I can't answer that. Beebe is an idiot. So I can't answer that. The best thing to do is wait till the CCG since they'd have to do it against CU next week in order to keep us out of the game. I think it's probably more a case of the officiating crew out to get Bo. I don't understand how any person can watch that game and not find it poorly officiating in one direction. To go after other calls NU should've had called against them means you believe NU played so sloppy of a game (and A&M squeaky clean) that it had to be the most disgusting performance you've ever witnessed by a team.

Oh and NU is a top 10 defense. Our offense can play top 10 when Taylor is healthy. If we were to look at the current top 10 right now we may find one (boise st) that has played lights out all season. I came away from this game wondering how Texas A&M had won as many games as they had. Your team is very average. You beat a Nebraska team with a bum quarterback (who didn't even play the whole game) and you won by a grand total of 3 points at home with a 16-2 penalty advantage and a +2 turnover advantage. By all accounts we should'nt have been in that game. Don't fool yourself. Nebraska is in another level than A&M and the coming years will show that.

Irafreak,

You're not going to get a straight answer to a straight question about the lack of calls on NU opponents. All you're going to get is the rope a dope deflection and misdirection by avoiding the question and attacking somewhere else. It is a classic tactic when you have no answer for the other guy.

Irafreak,

You're not going to get a straight answer to a straight question about the lack of calls on NU opponents. All you're going to get is the rope a dope deflection and misdirection by avoiding the question and attacking somewhere else. It is a classic tactic when you have no answer for the other guy.

Hmmm. Just don't want to leave any doubt about what we're really upset about.

Did anyone else just notice that Ubben messed up? He counted non-conference games when those were either not Big 12 crews or gimme games. Chatelain looks at only conference games and the results go from a little head-scratching to outright disgusting:

Most penalties by opponents:

11. Iowa State 45

12. Nebraska 31

Consider your mind blown then, wake up and smell the coffee. one reason for letting the osu game and mizzou game go is because they followed a texas game in which nebraska lost where questionable calls directly affected the outcome. neb was in no means in the driver seat until after the mizzou game and now that the season has progressed beebe boys have stepped up their efforts to keep us from going to the ccg. iowa state and kansas just didn't have enough fire power to beat us but a&m did...

i would love to hear your insight as to how after the mizzou game our opponents have 6 penalties combined... please enlighten us other then pointing out the offense is bad... even though neb has been playing with a third string qb for the majority of these games.

Big 12 opponent penalties

Kansas State

Iowa State 8 - 4

Nebraska 6 - 4

Kansas 7 - 4

Baylor 6 - 8

Oklahoma State 10 - 7

Texas 4 - 2

Missouri 8 - 6

Colorado 2- 7

Texas

Texas Tech 8 - 11