The irony of Saturday nights game

Despite the attrocious officiating Saturday night, A&M's winning drive was a tad ironic and had a bit of familiarity to it. If you think back to 2006, NU has the ball late in the 4th quarter and we're having to drive the length of the field to score a winning TD. I believe it was 3rd and long and Taylor threw a pass that went incomplete. Fortunately for us, A&M was flagged for none other than...roughing the passer that some thought was bogus. Kept our drive alive and as a result, Taylor thru the pass to MoPo in the endzone where Purify could very well have been flagged for Offensive PI.

I wonder what Zac Taylor was thinking about all this as it transpired?

Except in 2006, it was actually the right call, and in 2010 it was nowhere close to roughing the passer.

I thought the '06 call was a bit weak, more of a "running into the kicker" sort of hit, but he did hit him late.

It wasn't a malicious hit, but it was a boneheaded mistake by the player, not the official.

Except in 2006, it was actually the right call, and in 2010 it was nowhere close to roughing the passer.

I thought the '06 call was a bit weak, more of a "running into the kicker" sort of hit, but he did hit him late.

It wasn't a malicious hit, but it was a boneheaded mistake by the player, not the official.

Not arguing the call.

And that (it being the same ref) is quite fascinating.

Ok....the REAL irony here? The exact same referee called the Roughing the Passer call in 2006. I sh#t you not...I wouldn't sh#t you if you were my favorite turd

Pay attention around the 6:53 mark chuckleshufflechuckleshuffle

Wow! How interesting is that! Though, TBH, I'd rather have the calls switched.

Ok....the REAL irony here? The exact same referee called the Roughing the Passer call in 2006. I sh#t you not...I wouldn't sh#t you if you were my favorite turd

Pay attention around the 6:53 mark chuckleshufflechuckleshuffle

There's no 2 ways around it. The 2006 call was legit and Saturday's was not. A&M won the game directly because of that penalty. If I were a Husker, I would be pissed off. It always sucks to lose a game that you can directly note comes from a questionable call.

That said, and I would say this to any fanbase, and I've said it to myself a time or two. A&M scored on the drive because of that penalty, yes. But did your team do everything it could to win the game? You can't honestly say they did. Interceptions, other bonehead penalties, and inability to capitalize on good field position cost the game more so than bad officiating. One touchdown and you guys win. If the shoe was on the other foot, and it has been for both teams before, you guys would be saying the same things I'm saying to the other teams fans. I dislike winning in a game that was decided the way it does, and had we ended up losing the game I would have looked to our inability to capitalize on offense as well.

You guys have amazing fans, and its impossible to root against you because of how nice you are. I wish you guys all the best in the Bigger 10, and hope that our teams can meet on the field without the questions marks.

That said, and I would say this to any fanbase, and I've said it to myself a time or two. A&M scored on the drive because of that penalty, yes. But did your team do everything it could to win the game? You can't honestly say they did. Interceptions, other bonehead penalties, and inability to capitalize on good field position cost the game more so than bad officiating. One touchdown and you guys win. If the shoe was on the other foot, and it has been for both teams before, you guys would be saying the same things I'm saying to the other teams fans. I dislike winning in a game that was decided the way it does, and had we ended up losing the game I would have looked to our inability to capitalize on offense as well.

You guys have amazing fans, and its impossible to root against you because of how nice you are. I wish you guys all the best in the Bigger 10, and hope that our teams can meet on the field without the questions marks.

There's no question we bear a HUGE part of the blame for that loss. We could debate percentages of how much the officials changed the game, but bottom line is that it's hard to get really truly upset about a loss when you score six points, and the way your offense was playing you would have maybe put up a grand total of 17 (if the stars all aligned that night).

What sucks is that two great schools with two great fan bases have this travesty, with poor offensive play, a ballistic head coach, ridiculous fouls, a ridiculous disparity in penalties, and an assistant who broke the camera of a reporter after the game. That's the shame of this - not that Nebraska lost, because someone had to lose, but that the circus that game became took away what could have been a great memory of a classic sendoff between Nebraska and Texas A&M.

Maybe well get you guys in a bowl game in a few years and do this thing right. Would be nice to have a do-over.