Why do we have depth at every area except for WR??

Maybe it's not a question of depth per se, but rather how we use what we have. We have quite a few WRs:

Paul (out)

Kinnie

McNeill

Marlowe

Cooper

Gilleylen

Henry

Enunwa

That's eight guys, five of whom barely see the field. We've had post after post from several people decrying how we use our WRs, people "in the know," who say that we leave talent on the bench because they can catch passes but cannot block. That's a systemic issue, not a depth issue.

I couldn't even tell you who half of these kids are or how they got on the team.

44 McNeill, Mike TE/WR 6-4 235 Sr. Kirkwood, Mo. (Kirkwood)

80 Bell, Kenny WR 6-1 175 Fr. Boulder, Colo. (Fairview)

9 Broekemeier, Joe WR 6-4 210 Sr. Aurora, Neb. (Aurora)

1 Cooper, Khiry WR 6-2 195 So. Shreveport, La. (Calvary Baptist Academy)

87 Dixon, Taylor WR 5-11 190 So. Wauneta, Neb. (Wauneta-Palisade)

18 Enunwa, Quincy WR 6-2 205 Fr. Moreno Valley, Calif. (Rancho Verde)

88 Evans, Tyler WR 6-1 180 Fr. Waverly, Neb. (Waverly)

11 Gilleylen, Curenski WR 6-0 215 Jr. Leander, Texas (Leander)

8 Henry, Will WR 6-5 215 Sr. El Paso, Texas (J.M. Hanks)

45 Hughes, Keegan WR 6-0 190 Fr. Roswell, Ga. (Roswell)

85 Hyland, KC WR 6-6 210 So. Lincoln, Neb. (Pius X)

83 Jean-Baptiste, Stanley WR 6-3 205 RFr. Miami, Fla. (Fort Scott (Kan.) CC) (Central)

4 Kildow, Ty WR 5-7 175 RFr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard South)

84 Kinnie, Brandon WR 6-3 220 Jr. Kansas City, Mo. (Fort Scott (Kan.) CC) (Grandview)

6 Marlowe, Tim WR 5-10 175 So. Youngstown, Ohio (Cardinal Mooney)

21 Osborne, Steven WR 6-4 205 So. Garland, Texas (South Garland)

24 Paul, Niles WR 6-1 220 Sr. Omaha, Neb. (North)

43 Schrodt, Dillon WR 6-3 185 Fr. Lincoln, Neb. (North Star)

39 Smith, Jacob WR 5-11 185 Fr. Omaha, Neb. (Skutt Catholic)

26 Wullenwaber, Tyler WR 6-1 180 Fr. Utica, Neb. (Centennial)

Willie, I believe you've also mentioned that our staff has kept good "hands" guys off the field because they didn't also excel at blocking as well. If that's true and I'm not misremembering, could you elaborate on that as well?

That is Gilmore's excuse for always not playing folks. But if you want it more bluntly, IMO, he plays favorites. If you kiss Gilmore's rear-end and he likes you, then you will see snaps. No way I will believe Gilmore is as blind to some of the stuff that goes on in practice, and in games. It either boils down to he is mentally handicapped as to realize what goes on, or he plays favorites. Take your pick.

There are a couple of kids, younger guys on the team, who make plays all the time in practice, but never see snaps. Then you have guys like Will Henry and Tim Marlowe who go out on the field and never make one single play.

Or a guy like Chris Brooks from last year who made plays consistently when he got on the field, but yet never saw consistent playing time. Or a guy like Curenski, who struggles with concentration, but consistently gets behind defenses to stretch the field because he is that dadgum fast.

And Gilmore's constant excuse - they need to excel in other areas.

My take - who freakin' cares if they can block or not, even if that was the case. With our lack of playmakers out wide, if we have guys who consistently make plays, put them on the dang field.

If there was ever one coach I would get rid of on this staff, it would be Gilmore. And people know how much I dislike Barney, but Gilmore has BY FAR passed him on coaches on my poop list.

• Fire 5

Does this staff even make recruiting WR a priority? It would appear going by their 3.5 recruiting classes they just plug in guys that are athletes or walk ons at the position. They sure do like their DB’s though.

2008 – A. Bell, S. Osborne, K. Cooper, T. Marlowe (Bell is a DB now and Marlowe was listed as ATH)

2009 – B. Kinnie

2010 – Q. Enunwa, K. Bell, T. Evans, S. Jean-Baptiste (Bell & Evans listed as ATH)

2011 – T. Allen

Now the total DB’s in those classes:

2008 – 6 (2 listed as ATH)

2009 – 4

2010 – 5 (1 listed as ATH)

2011 – 5

It appears we are more concerned with the kids that will stop the pass then the kids that are actually going out for the passes.

:clap

Kudos to Big Willie for shining a light on the Gilmore issue.

One player I kept hearing about in fall camp was KC Hyland. Now he's a ghost.

Yep. SJB being the other.

Could throw Enunwa in there as well. Guy was flashing some SERIOUS playmaking ability in August, but has played mainly as a blocker. He's been targeted something like 5 times all year. Genius to waste a year of a player who looks like he will be a stud for us, absolutely genius!

:clap

Kudos to Big Willie for shining a light on the Gilmore issue.

One player I kept hearing about in fall camp was KC Hyland. Now he's a ghost.

Yep. SJB being the other.

Could throw Enunwa in there as well. Guy was flashing some SERIOUS playmaking ability in August, but has played mainly as a blocker. He's been targeted something like 5 times all year. Genius to waste a year of a player who looks like he will be a stud for us, absolutely genius!

Enunwa dropped a pass vs aTm, granted he had to dive for a pass that was riffled at knee level. Even so, those catches will come. Enunwa is going to be a special player in the years to come.