please explain the WCO

godd2

Cally was really starting to develop the play calling in the 1st half...then, after half time, complete SHELL game.

Apparently, 7 points is all you ever need. It showed with him, anyway.

Yes, I know, no players, we need others in system, gotta learn it, etc. 

I was thinking the same thing. But then you have to look at all of the 2nd and 3rd and longs that we had to deal with in the second half, just because our guys thought it necessary to shoot ourselves in the proverbial foot. I think with all of those penalties/sacks callahan's play calling was limited.

Speaking of penalties what was up with the penalty on Ross? :wacko:

new celebrating rules in college game, sucks......hell you can't do anything but go back to the huddle now!! so much for the fun in the game...taunting is one thing, a simple non intimidating signal for a successful run should not be penalized!!!!!!

hunter

Yea, that penatly was BS and I heard even one of the officials was upset that it got called. You'd think Ross started to do backflips back to the huddle or some dumb sh#t like that.

I remember an earlier post stating that the crossed-arms or whatever you call it would not be allowed any longer, but our defensive guys keep doing it after every sack. Does this mean we will leave it up to the decision of the officials to make arbitrary calls when they feel like it?

Apparently. I was wondering that myself. The NCAA rule making committee needs to pull their collective head out of their collective ass.

Perhaps the WCO isn't the answer. It's not exactly a major breakthrough in football. What is the point of recruiting the likes of Lucky if we throw the ball around and put the team in 2nd & long or 3rd & long situations and then it's time to punt. The play calling or game plans have been terrible and I'm being kind. We only moved the ball in the 4th quarter because we lined up and started running the ball right at Pitt which we should have been doing all day. Going into the game Pitts weakness was against the run so why do them a favor and throw? Our coaches are clueless when it comes to making adjustments we saw it last year and it continues this year. And Callahan looking down at that sheet of paper on the sidelines doesn't provide any answers, maybe you don't know the plays either.

that is what i have always said..."where are the 1/2 time adjustments"? we used to be famous for those adjustments and kicking ass in the 2nd half.....now it is just

MOTS........ :wtf

hunter

I agree USC is running a more complex offense, but let's remember that Pete Carroll had a .500 season or two in there before things got better.  Heck, SC came to the LV Bowl when Leinart was a frosh.

http://www.statfox.com/cfb/cfbteam~teamid~...season~2001.htm

This is the 2001 stats for USC. I am using this for comparison just for s***s and giggles. This offense has many newcomers so this might be a fair comparison.

Points scored in the first 4 games of the season:

For the remainder of the season there were point totals of:

Yardage totals of:

USC had a few good games that year, but for the most part struggled mightily. Say what you want about them being different than Nebraska, them not running the WCO or some bulls**t article with Carson Palmer in July of 2001 saying that what they did was simpler, because its hogwash since it obviously didn't click with him for another year and 3 games later. That team struggled, this Husker team is struggling with an offense with many of the same concepts and ideas. The defense is going to have to continue to be the backbone and the O is going to have to muster something up that will work and TAKE CARE OF THE BALL if we are to win many more games this season. The way I see it, none of the big 12 games are gimme-games, but none of them are sure losses either. If Taylor takes care of the ball, the line can make some holes(and limit the penalties) for Ross, Lucky, Jackson and Glenn; the receivers can catch the passes that are thrown to them and if we continue to play solid defense and special teams, this team is going to grind out some victories.

Those numbers are a bit misleading. USC went 6-6 (6-5 and then lost their bowl game) in 2001 and averaged about 315 YPG. All their losses were close only once losing by more than 5 points (11 @ ND). This was their first year learning Norm Chow's offense. I grew up watching Norm Chow's offenses at BYU and I assure you it is much simpler (and more effective) than Cally's. They exploded the next year going 11-2 with 2 close road losses to Kansas State and Wazzu and averaged 450 YPG. The rest is history.

My point is not that we should be blowing everyone away at this point, but we seem to be going backwards. This is due to the unnecessary complexity of Callahan's offense. This is year two and I think we'll be lucky to make 0.500 at this point.

Those numbers are a bit misleading.

How so? USC's offense was downright abysmal in several games that year, most notably the 12th game.

USC went 6-6 (6-5 and then lost their bowl game) in 2001 and averaged about 315 YPG.  All their losses were close only once losing by more than 5 points (11 @ ND).

Nebraska is 3-0, USC was 1-3 in those first 4 games. I would rather have ugly wins than pretty losses. Grit, heart and character show in ugly wins to push the team over the top.

My point is not that we should be blowing everyone away at this point, but we seem to be going backwards.

Agreed, but I don't necessarily think it is due to the complexity of the offense. Personally, I think all the shifting before to snap can take a hike. I realize it is used to confuse the defense and try and create a visible mismatch before the snap, but this is causing problems right now.

This is year two and I think we'll be lucky to make 0.500 at this point.

Yes, year #2, but so many new people in there getting their feet wet it may just as well be year #1. As far as not hitting .500, I dunno, I think if the defense can continue to play the way it has and the offense starts moving the ball a little, this season won't be all that bad.

I hate to say it, but our players are not USC players. We cannot compete in their league. They have had time to be taught this system and to be well versed in its execution. It sucks for the Husker faithful, but we cannot continue on this way. Something is not working, correct? Either the players do not understand, the players aren't connecting with each other, or the players are not talented. Which would you rather have? I am an optimist. I choose to believe that the offensive style, as impressive as it occasionally looks, could be modified (if you would prefer, rather than simplified) to accommodate the players we have. Something needs to happen, right? If it isn't modify, then what is it? Scrap the entire thing and start anew? I don't understand your conviction to this idea. It will lead the Huskers nowhere.

I just spoke with a hard core USC fan who states that they do not run a true WCO offense. He stated that they run more of a spread, with many of the similar plays in different formations, and allows the QBs to make audilbles at the line.

This makes sense, and I can see this being ver effective (though I don't see many USC games).

But I think BC will have to tone down his true WCO offense, because, there is a HUGE, MASSIVE difference between the NFL and college.

I think SP and BC will come to realize that soon enough.

Pretty soon NU will be a lean mean fighting machine :box

BUt they just need to work on the mental side of it.

It's not exactly a major breakthrough in football.

It was. And still is the most balanced and adaptive offense in football. You may not like Callahan's version of it, but a well run west coast will win you more games than any other system out there.

I am not going do disagree, per se.

But I always, always, always feel it is the execution rather than the system.

That's why the option can be dominant, that's why any system can be dominant. That's why TO was so good, because he could get the players to know what it took to succeed, and execute, in my opinion. But of course, he had a degree in teaching psych, didn't he?

Anyhow.......

The "WCO" can be adaptive and efficient, yes. But changing plays at the line is a major part of it. Having playmakers for the highlight reel is another.

But I still think execution is the most important factor in any offense, defense, or special team.

I Googled West Coast Offense and came up with a couple of links...hope this all helps.

http://users2.ev1.net/~jamrtm/Playbooklist.htm

Has a couple of playbooks you can look at and download.

Spent a bunch of time looking for Chow's playbook...no avail...but I certainly have a better understanding of WCO, post-multiple shift. Motion might be a killer for us, but to Cally's credit the movement uses up more play clock, shortening the game our defense must currently contribute energy and enthusiasm enough to buoy the whole state of Nebraska.