3 Man Rush

I didn't agree with the prevent defense we were playing. That defense is designed to not give up the big play, but they had time to march down the field, as they did, to get a field goal. I could see if maybe if we hit that FG, but other wise, no. I say you go for the throat.

I hate to admit it, but I agreed with Mussberger and Danielsen...I just don't understand the 3 man rush on Pitt's last drive! It just didn't seem to make sense since we were only up by 1 point. It seemed like we were basically giving them a shot at a field goal to win the game!

Did anyone agree with the 3 man rush?

Oh yeah! We've discussed it on other posts, but the prevent defense is crap! Nothing good ever comes from using it. They simply had to hold the Pitt O for a minute thirty (just like they had all game long), and instead the coaches decision was to move into a prevent to keep from allowing a big pass play... oops. Nevermind, it happened anyway. Prevent style D only prevents teams from winning.

I didn't agree with the prevent defense we were playing. That defense is designed to not give up the big play, but they had time to march down the field, as they did, to get a field goal. I could see if maybe if we hit that FG, but other wise, no. I say you go for the throat.

Agreed. I think if we would have kept the pressure on, with how loud the stadium was. No way they would have even gotten into FG range.

Prevent style D only prevents teams from winning.

Except for yesterday. We won. :thumbs

I thought they should of rushed four but that's just me.

Agreed

Too true, but how lucky were we, eh? That could have gone a very different way very easily.

Yes, and if we hadn't had eleventy billion penalties we might have scored 21 points. What if?

Please. The prevent D is not a whatif kinda thing. Because of the prevent D, Pitt DID march down into field goal position, and screwed up two chances in a row to win the game. This is not a what if, this is a poor choice of defensive play. Our D had stopped almost everything in the air up to that point playing normally, why change the system then? Sorry, I cannot, and will not, agree with you on this point. Thank God we were as lucky as we were. It wont happen again.

The prevent D is CRAP. Any coach who lays down and stops the consistent rush they are getting is out of his mind. They could not stop Carricker and Wali. On the other hand, if BC would have kept the 4-man rush and they would have scored, we all would be asking why he didn't use the prevent D. It is kind of a catch 22 and you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. At least we won yesterday.