New Conference Rival?

Northwestern? You serious? That's like claiming Baylor as our South rival at the B12's inception.....I don't think it makes sense.

I believe I let my hatred of the 7-5, should be 6-6 Pukeyes, get the best of my judgement before. I don't think they will be a long term rival. Their sporadic rise above mediocrity may excite most Iowa fans, but I doubt that after 5 years they are looked at as more than just a Colorado or K State type of team. Capable of playing some pretty good ball every once in awhile, but lack the depth and tradition to be there year in, year out.

Your guess is as good as mine, probably better, but i would say it's the Huskers and tOSU for the next 10 years.....

It has to be Iowa because I know I can't wait to play a 7-5 Iowa team at the end of the year every year. chuckleshuffle

I remember them beating Nebraska that one time and then beating Nebraska that....um wait nevermind they loss that time and the next and the next. :facepalm:

we really havent played many teams in the big 10 recently, so the "even record" argument is sort of irrelevant.

any game could turn out to be our rivalry game, but iowa is set up geographically and in terms of the schedule

Pukeyes for sure. I HATE them. They hate us and have no respect for us or our program. I could elaborate but I believe I have aout 350some days to illustrate what it is like to be a fanatical husker fan lving in Des Moines, IA. I can't wait for November 26, 2011.

:box

+1. Iowa fans are beyond delusional, in my personal experience. I can't wait to make them our new Missouri for the next 40 years.

I agree Iowa will be like Colorado, they may want to be our rival, and say they are, but until they turn it into a rivalry on the field, they are just the team we play last in the league.

I think Penn ST takes on the role of Oklahoma, a storied program that is respected and for the most part lets their actions on the field as opposed to in the media, say how good they are. We may play them much earlier in the year each season, but that is the one I think people will be looking forward to each year.

I'd say Iowa, their fans are already talking about if we lose the Big XII Championship we're gonna lose to them in a bowl game and yada yada yada. I HATE Iowa with a passion and enjoy watching them lose.

What idiot Iowa fans are you talking to? Have they even watched our team this year??? We will keep the game close, give up a big 4th quarter drive where you convert a 4th and 27 fake punt and then just roll over and die. (Not that I am bitter that all 5 of our losses followed almost the exact same script)

I just don't get the "Iowa is not good enough to be our rival" talk. Over the past decade Iowa has been Nebraska's equal on the field. If Nebraska actually gets back to winning National Titles again any time soon then I will bow down and admit that we aren't worthy, but Iowa has actually been in the National Title talk more over the past decade than Nebraska. Granted we have yet to actually carry all the way through and even make it to the game...

Yes Nebraska has more history - but then so does Minnesota (an admittedly bad example this year given how the season ended) and I don't see anyone calling for Minnesota. I would say that I would expect to be playing Nebraska with the West title on the line more often than not and if we pull it off even 1/3 of the time I would think it would become a big rivalry even in your eyes. Granted if the title on the line is between Nebraska and Michigan and us winning would give the title to Michigan...I can't even finish that thought :)

I'd say Iowa, their fans are already talking about if we lose the Big XII Championship we're gonna lose to them in a bowl game and yada yada yada. I HATE Iowa with a passion and enjoy watching them lose.

What idiot Iowa fans are you talking to? Have they even watched our team this year??? We will keep the game close, give up a big 4th quarter drive where you convert a 4th and 27 fake punt and then just roll over and die. (Not that I am bitter that all 5 of our losses followed almost the exact same script)

I just don't get the "Iowa is not good enough to be our rival" talk. Over the past decade Iowa has been Nebraska's equal on the field. If Nebraska actually gets back to winning National Titles again any time soon then I will bow down and admit that we aren't worthy, but Iowa has actually been in the National Title talk more over the past decade than Nebraska. Granted we have yet to actually carry all the way through and even make it to the game...

Yes Nebraska has more history - but then so does Minnesota (an admittedly bad example this year given how the season ended) and I don't see anyone calling for Minnesota. I would say that I would expect to be playing Nebraska with the West title on the line more often than not and if we pull it off even 1/3 of the time I would think it would become a big rivalry even in your eyes. Granted if the title on the line is between Nebraska and Michigan and us winning would give the title to Michigan...I can't even finish that thought :)

I'll give you my backround a little bit. Was born in Chariton, IA moved to Des Moines, IA when I was 3 have lived in Des Moines ever since. I've never lived in Nebraska although I have some family that lives there. I became a Nebraska fan in the early 90's as I was 12 to 13 years old when I started to watch and play football. Needless to say having lived in Iowa my whole life I've met maybe 10 decent Iowa fans. By all rights I should be an Iowa fan, but I'm not. The Iowa fans I deal with day in and day out are some of the most egotistical jerks I've ever met. It's okay for them to root for their team, but if I'm rooting for mine, I'm a d-bag for doing it. They've caused me to hate the Hawks with a passion due to their behavior. WHO-TV13 has continued to add on to that hate by making Husker fans seem like a bunch of uneducated inbred hicks. I don't think the State of Iowa should be making fun of anyone for their backround when it's damn near the same as Nebraska's, at least in the form of what each state does. We've had a bad 10 years up until last year and this year, but I would still say our winning percentage is above Iowa's from what I've seen posted here in the past.

I'll give you my backround a little bit. Was born in Chariton, IA moved to Des Moines, IA when I was 3 have lived in Des Moines ever since. I've never lived in Nebraska although I have some family that lives there. I became a Nebraska fan in the early 90's as I was 12 to 13 years old when I started to watch and play football. Needless to say having lived in Iowa my whole life I've met maybe 10 decent Iowa fans. By all rights I should be an Iowa fan, but I'm not. The Iowa fans I deal with day in and day out are some of the most egotistical jerks I've ever met. It's okay for them to root for their team, but if I'm rooting for mine, I'm a d-bag for doing it. They've caused me to hate the Hawks with a passion due to their behavior. WHO-TV13 has continued to add on to that hate by making Husker fans seem like a bunch of uneducated inbred hicks. I don't think the State of Iowa should be making fun of anyone for their backround when it's damn near the same as Nebraska's, at least in the form of what each state does. We've had a bad 10 years up until last year and this year, but I would still say our winning percentage is above Iowa's from what I've seen posted here in the past.

From the time when Forrest Evachefskie (sp) left as Ia coach till Hayden Fry showed up Iowa stunk it up in football. They were seen as a basketball/wresteling school.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

its iowa, guys.

the rest of you either dont want to give the credit (which solidifies it even more) or are ignorant.

penn state, eh, whatever. they might as well be in new york.

i think nebraska fans are about to find out what it truly means to have a 'rival.' and its not all sunshine and roses, backslappin beer drinkin good times. frankly, i look forward to it.