Did we make a mistake?

junior4949

I dont think a mistake was made unless you count waiting until now to use Glenn.

It was obvious that the tone of the game changed when he was in, the players were different, the fans were different...I dont know...made me very happy and I dont think there is anyway that the coaches can ignore that...

4 carries, 2 first downs....19.4 yards...

He wont be stopped. :worship

Wow, I can tell from this thread exactly how much people know about college football. Of course true froshes arent going to see much time in the first few games at Runningback. They dont know enough about blitz pickup or coverage recognition to possibly make a huge impact, but as the year goes on, and they pick things up, they can make a big impact even against better teams. You dont play guys who might get the quarterback killed, even against Maine.

I think Adrian Peterson did a pretty good job last year as a true freshman even in the early games. Hell, he was even invited to the Heisman awards. The freshman RB down in Texas is tearing it up as we speak. Maurice Clarrett ring a bell? He tore it up as a true freshman. I could probably go on and on, but that wasn't the point of the thread. We already have a stud in the backfield, why burn both of these guys redshirts? From the play while granted it is early in the season, it leads me to believe we should have redshirted Lucky. Apparently he isn't picking up the offense as need be by the limited amount of time he's seen. He's averaging 2.7 yards per carry behind an OL that couldn't block a bunch of grandmas. Why waist a year for a freshman, when the next 4 years could have been a lot more worthwhile.

I can see why a lot of the freshmen are playing because we are very thin at some positions. However, RB is not one of these thin positions. Why do we have to burn the redshirts of every freshman RB?

In most "cake-walk" games scheduled early in the season, the best thing about these games is getting the young inexperienced players in there to play. I'm sure USC was unloading the bench within the first 4 to 5 minutes in the 3rd quarter against Arkansas. The point of playing patsies early in the year is to get your team to gel, and to get young players into the game so they can help out during the course of the major schedule if a player gets hurt. We didn't do this. Lucky has 16 carries so far this year. Glenn has 5. I don't think we're doing these guys a favor. Burn one redshirt, not two!

I can see why a lot of the freshmen are playing because we are very thin at some positions. However, RB is not one of these thin positions. Why do we have to burn the redshirts of every freshman RB?

We aren't thin at running back because we have 3 freshman (I believe, did Lawson make the team?) backing up Uncle Cory and BJax. I agree on redshirting Lucky, I think we could have done that without much fuss. I don't think we could safely redshirt Glenn, though. Not only does he provide short-yardage size, but he's crucial depth at both i-back and fullback.

Lucky content with growing into NU system

BY STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star

Tuesday, Sep 20, 2005 - 10:54:06 am CDT

He was deemed a can’t-miss impact player by Internet recruiting analysts. They said he would play immediately at Nebraska and make a huge splash. Husker freshman I-back Marlon Lucky heard the buzz but never really bought into it, he said. He chuckles now when reminded of it.

“I knew I was going to be behind Cory and Brandon,” said Lucky, referring to senior starter Cory Ross and sophomore backup Brandon Jackson.

“I knew I was going to have to be patient, coming into a big offense — it’s one of the biggest offenses in the NFL, college, anywhere,” said Lucky, referring to Nebraska coach Bill Callahan’s relatively complex West Coast system.

The 6-foot, 210-pound Lucky said he’s OK with his limited role during Nebraska’s first three games, though he admits his patience is tested at times.

“Cory and Brandon, they’ve been here longer than me, so they know the offense more than me,” Lucky said. “I’m just watching them. And when I get in, I just do my thing.”

In Nebraska’s three victories, Lucky has rushed 16 times for 43 yards (2.7 per carry), while Ross has carried 72 times for 356 yards (4.9) and Jackson 12 for 25 (2.1).

Another true freshman running back, 6-foot, 230-pound Cody Glenn, made his first appearance of the season Saturday against Pitt, carrying four times for 20 yards, mostly in short-yardage situations.

NFL DraftBlitz.com last year ranked Lucky as the nation’s No. 3 “impact freshman” for 2005, while Rivals.com and SuperPrep Magazine rated him as the nation’s No. 2 running back. One analyst projected Lucky to reach the level of impact Adrian Peterson had last season as a true freshman at Oklahoma.

Not yet. Indeed, Lucky said he’s been learning the playbook a little at a time. The North Hollywood, Calif., native said his most significant improvement has come in pass blocking.

“When I came in here, I didn’t know what to do pass blocking-wise,” he said.

The challenge is to read from which direction or directions the blitz is coming so he can protect quarterback Zac Taylor.

“It’s crazy,” said Lucky, who’s feeling more comfortable as a blocker.

Lucky also has improved on his footwork and reading of defenses, Nebraska coach Bill Callahan said.

“Marlon is seeing new fronts week in and week out,” Callahan said. “I think he has a better understanding now of what we’re doing than when he first came in here. And he’s becoming more complete as a pass receiver and special-teams player — just his overall game is starting to pick up.”

Lucky and Frantz Hardy are jointly listed as Nebraska’s No. 2 kickoff returners behind the tandem of Tierre Green and Jackson. Lucky has neither returned a kickoff nor caught a pass.

During the offseason, Lucky spoke of playing a dual-threat role similar to that of Reggie Bush at Southern Cal. It still may happen, but not until Lucky becomes more comfortable in the offense.

Lucky’s first career carry, in the Sept. 3 opener against Maine, went for 2 yards. His long run is 8 yards.

“I was kind of shaky,” he said of his debut. “I wasn’t that nervous. But I was kind of shaky.”

Lucky likes his classes (astronomy is the most challenging, he said). He likes Lincoln. He enjoys the tunnel walk before games. He positions himself in the middle of the pack. Behind the veterans.

Wow, if Bill would of redshirted Gleen and Lucky. Then everyone would be yelling at Bill to remove their redshirts right now so that they could help the offense. No one knew at the start of the year what these guys could do and in my opinion, we still don't know what they can do for this team.

Just another damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

Wow, if Bill would of redshirted Gleen and Lucky. Then everyone would be yelling at Bill to remove their redshirts right now so that they could help the offense. No one knew at the start of the year what these guys could do and in my opinion, we still don't know what they can do for this team.

Just another damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

I agree, but I would hope that more of the frosh. would RS, instead wasting a season on minutes that are not of the utmost importance. IMO, if a frosh isnt in the top 2 on the depth chart, or maybe in a 3 player rotation, (like WR) it would be best to RS.

But its just too tough to tell.