Did we make a mistake?

junior4949

So far this year in our weak nonconference schedule, Marlon Lucky has seen very little playing time. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think he only carried the ball 3 or 4 times against Pitt. Glenn saw his first action of the year carrying the ball maybe 5 times? My question is this: are we making a huge mistake burning their redshirts if we're not going to play them any more than this?

Let's face it, Wake and Maine and probably Baylor will be the easiest teams we play all year. By not giving them more playing time in these "easier" games, I highly doubt we will be playing them much at all during most of the Big 12 games. If this is the case, aren't we just wasting a year of their eligibility? Ross seems to be able to get it done carrying the ball 32 times during the Pitt game. I would think B Jax could come in and fill in well when Ross is winded. I'm concerned we're just wasting a year for Lucky and Glenn. When Lucky has come into the game, he really hasn't been that impressive. I think he's averageing 3 yards a game. If we're going to play him very little, maybe we should have redshirted him this year and gave him an opportunity to compete for the starting job once Ross is gone. It does make a bit more sense putting Glenn in especially when you consider his size, strength, and ability to move a pile. Makes you wonder why we didn't use him when we were throwing the ball 3 times from the 3 yard line?

Another thing that concerns me is the fact we had Tierre Greene back running the ball. I would think his mind would still be twirling after switching from RB to DB not too long ago. I'm really not sure what the thought process was from putting him back there and having him run the ball. RB is one of the positions where we are very deep. Why take an ex RB who is still learning his DB position and have him run the ball? Why take defensive practice time from him to run a "trick" play?

At this point in time, I think it would be a huge mistake to play Beck. I realize he may provide some spark, but with poor play from our OL why put a true freshman back there to simply get smacked around? I for one don't think we should be playing our freshman if we're only going to put them in for a couple of downs a game. We've seen the struggles from what were considered good teams playing freshmen QB's. I hope we don't make the same mistake as I think we're making with Lucky and possibly Glenn right now!

Personally I look for Lucky and Glenn to contribute more as the year goes on. Putting a trick play in for Lucky wasn't a bad idea IMO, and we finally saw Glenn in there to pound the ball ahead like we'd anticipated. I'd imagine as the season goes on we'll see these guys get more comfortable with the offense. Personally, I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Lucky in the slot a handful of times in two weeks against ISU.

IMO Callahan is trying to work these guys in where he thinks they can succeed. As far as playing Beck, I really don't know. I'd imagine at the beginning of the season the coaches thought there would be a few more games with some mop up duty to play him and the other freshmen as well. Considering that hasn't happened so far, I'm doubtful we'll see him soon unless we find ourselves on the wrong end of a lopsided score or someone gets hurt.

junior, i agree with alot of what you posted..the problem is there has been no easy game, but that is no excuse to not figure out HOW TO UTILIZE these new guys.....that is my beef with the coaching/play calling of what cally is doing here.

anyone with an offensive mind should be able to design some plays for these guys and get them in more each game, they are indeed a talent, no question about that. the deal with Greene is weird, what-the-hell is that all about??? :wtf

seems cally is really confused about who to play where? hell, we have moved guys all over the place and we are still tinkering with this 3 games into the season?

i can see messing with the O line, as that problem has not nor will probably not be solved, but the backfield guys and the wasted talent/depth there? there seems to be no logic to some of the playcalling/utilization of some of these guys....it is like going hunting with a pellet gun, why in the hell would you not take something bigger, unless you don't care if the bear bites you in the ass??

hunter

I think as long as Lucky and Glenn are eased into line up, seeing small amounts of playing time is good for them. It allows them to get used to the game atmosphere (on the field). It also places more responsiblity on them to learn the playbook, plus gives them the opportunity, though small, of showing how they can perform. Next year, without Cory Ross, we would have a buch of backs with virtually no playing time.

If our offense would get things going, they will probably see more playing time. I do wish Beck could play more. I would not redshirt him. I am not possitve that the future will be in Ganz's hands. Beck seems like the type (from what I have read and seen) that will respond to gameday pressure in a different way than he would respond to practice. The good ones always step up to the plate. I would like to see if he would. As long as he does not turn the ball over, I would think he could gain as many yards as the current offense is (handing it off to Ross).

Guys, playing running back is more than just taking the handoff and looking for daylight. They have to know all the options for any play, the blitz pickups, the "regular" blocking, the routes on swings out of the backfield.

And you can't simply say, "Well, just create a play where they do nothing but run it". What happens when Taylor has to check off to a different play - particularly from a run to a pass? If they don't know the blitz pick up, or if they are to be the hot read, Taylor gets blown up. And I'm not real comfortable with the idea that any of the backups are ready to step in at quarterback.

Before these guys see extensive playing time, everyone has to be sure that they can do everything that is asked of them...

I've asked it before, and I'll ask it again; when did we start expecting true freshman to play and make an impact in even the first half of their first year?

We just don't seem to have that many running plays to give everyone a real opportunity to get into the flow of the game.

Ross alone ran over 30 times in the game against Pitt.

I wasn't really referring to being "impact" players this year. What I was referring to was their very limited amount of playing time. Wouldn't we have been better off redshirting both of them?

I realize injuries and such happen throughout the course of a year when a redshirt has to be burnt. If I remember correctly, we had to burn Horne's redshirt due to injuries. The fact that they haven't picked up all of the offense yet and that is why they're not playing drives my point home. Shouldn't we have given them this year to pick up the offense and had them redshirt?

We know that the running back is responsible for picking up the blitzing linebacker, running passing routes, plus remembering all of the running plays. My point is that we have to pretty good running backs already in Ross and B Jax. Why not let the freshmen come in, learn the offense, bulk up their bodies, and then let them compete for a starting job next year? I'll be disappointed as hell if Beck comes in one or two games this year for one or two series. What's the point? Let the freshmen you don't really have to rely on this year redshirt so that you have better prepared players next year!

I wasn't really referring to being "impact" players this year. What I was referring to was their very limited amount of playing time. Wouldn't we have been better off redshirting both of them?

I realize injuries and such happen throughout the course of a year when a redshirt has to be burnt. If I remember correctly, we had to burn Horne's redshirt due to injuries. The fact that they haven't picked up all of the offense yet and that is why they're not playing drives my point home. Shouldn't we have given them this year to pick up the offense and had them redshirt?

We know that the running back is responsible for picking up the blitzing linebacker, running passing routes, plus remembering all of the running plays. My point is that we have to pretty good running backs already in Ross and B Jax. Why not let the freshmen come in, learn the offense, bulk up their bodies, and then let them compete for a starting job next year? I'll be disappointed as hell if Beck comes in one or two games this year for one or two series. What's the point? Let the freshmen you don't really have to rely on this year redshirt so that you have better prepared players next year!

Well, I agree for the most part, but redshirting both of them would leave us with only 2 I-backs and 1 fullback. That's not the kind of depth you want, especialy with BJax being somewhat susceptable to injury.

I thing junior raised some very intersting points.

Why is BC willing to bet the farm on the WCO? Regardless of the players and talent, BC has gone full speed ahead with the complex formations and passing, last year and again this year.

But then BC is cautious about using freshman who might not know every intricate detail of the offense.

Doesn't this strike everyone as highly inconsistant? If the team motto is "Burn the Boats" then why are we doing it?

I wasn't really referring to being "impact" players this year.  What I was referring to was their very limited amount of playing time.  Wouldn't we have been better off redshirting both of them?

I realize injuries and such happen throughout the course of a year when a redshirt has to be burnt.  If I remember correctly, we had to burn Horne's redshirt due to injuries.  The fact that they haven't picked up all of the offense yet and that is why they're not playing drives my point home.  Shouldn't we have given them this year to pick up the offense and had them redshirt? 

We know that the running back is responsible for picking up the blitzing linebacker, running passing routes, plus remembering all of the running plays.  My point is that we have to pretty good running backs already in Ross and B Jax.  Why not let the freshmen come in, learn the offense, bulk up their bodies, and then let them compete for a starting job next year?  I'll be disappointed as hell if Beck comes in one or two games this year for one or two series.  What's the point?  Let the freshmen you don't really have to rely on this year redshirt so that you have better prepared players next year!

Well, I agree for the most part, but redshirting both of them would leave us with only 2 I-backs and 1 fullback. That's not the kind of depth you want, especialy with BJax being somewhat susceptable to injury.

exactly! :yeah

To answer the title of the thread, absolutely not. We are sitting at game #4. There have been a NU record 11 true freshman play so far this year. Glenn had an impact when he was in on saturday, he will be eased into more playing time. Lucky has yet to really break out and have a big play, but it is just a matter of time. All it is going to take for Lucky is one big play and he will have all the confidence in the world. These kids are going to get more PT as the year moves along. You can't redshirt them when last year's #2 I-back is this year's #1 cornerback! Ross can't carry the ball 32 times every game this year, he is going to need these youngsters to shoulder some of the load during the home stretch of the Big 12. Just like Jake just said, with Jackson possibly being succeptible to injury(and seemingly a little tentative) we need these guys. I don't understand what you want from them? To be in there every play? I bet by the end of the season you will see why they are not being redshirted.