Mendoza

rastapasta

Hey, long time reader, but I've never had the urge to post.........until now!

Ive gathered that this is the premier resource for all knowledge husker :w00t :w00t :w00t

so my question is: Whatever happened to Marcus Mendoza? I see that he's still on the roster as a CB (per Huskers.com) but I've always thought that he played well when he saw the field, but the coaching staff just yanked him around so much. Any chance he sees the field next year?

Ive gathered that this is the premier resource for all knowledge husker :w00t :w00t :w00t

so my question is: Whatever happened to Marcus Mendoza? I see that he's still on the roster as a CB (per Huskers.com) but I've always thought that he played well when he saw the field, but the coaching staff just yanked him around so much. Any chance he sees the field next year?

Okay im gonna answer your question because this thread has just gotten hijack...... I think Mendoza is victim of being moved around so much of his husker career, I believe he started here at RB, then it was WR, after that it was RB(burkhead hurt), lastly ending up at CB(which I have no clue why). So thats 3 positions in roughly 4 years being on the team. If still stays at CB I believe he has no chance to see field other than extreme mop up duty.

Another one of those players that gets lost in the crowd so to speak.

Okay im gonna answer your question because this thread has just gotten hijack...... I think Mendoza is victim of being moved around so much of his husker career, I believe he started here at RB, then it was WR, after that it was RB(burkhead hurt), lastly ending up at CB(which I have no clue why). So thats 3 positions in roughly 4 years being on the team. If still stays at CB I believe he has no chance to see field other than extreme mop up duty.

Another one of those players that gets lost in the crowd so to speak.

I think if he ever wants to see the field other than maybe special teams is by the coaches moving him back to WR. I don't think he fits the cornerback mold and I think the depth at running back is too deep.

I don't believe Mendoza will see the field again. I know a lot of people will feel bad for him, as do I, but consider this: how many guys are brought in, work their butts off, live and breath Husker football for 4-5 years, are tremendous guys/teammates/athletes, yet never see the field? Mendoza just happens to have been one of those guys that was lucky enough to sniff a little PT and get some media attention, but isn't quite good enough to play. I thank him for what he's done for this team, and wish him all the luck in the world. I assume this team was made a little better in some way because he was on it, even if he never made a big on-field impact.

I remember being really impressed with him when he got in (I was looking forward to many more shouts of "MENDOZAAAAAAAAA!" a la McBain), then suddenly he was gone. I guess it's kind of nice to know what happened to him. I had a couple of chances to chat with him (academically, not football-ly) and he seems like a good guy.

I just want to say that we're lucky here-- academics are stressed so strongly to the guys on the team and all of the players that I've had in my classes or gotten a chance to know have been good students, really engaged, inquisitive, and generally a joy to have in class. I know that it's broadly a cliche in the culture that football players are lazy in class and will try to skimp by doing as little as possible while their coaches and athletic departments try to secure them favors from faculty, but at UNL we're lucky to have great students and an athletic department that takes academics very seriously.

• Fire 1

I remember being really impressed with him when he got in (I was looking forward to many more shouts of "MENDOZAAAAAAAAA!" a la McBain), then suddenly he was gone. I guess it's kind of nice to know what happened to him. I had a couple of chances to chat with him (academically, not football-ly) and he seems like a good guy.

I just want to say that we're lucky here-- academics are stressed so strongly to the guys on the team and all of the players that I've had in my classes or gotten a chance to know have been good students, really engaged, inquisitive, and generally a joy to have in class. I know that it's broadly a cliche in the culture that football players are lazy in class and will try to skimp by doing as little as possible while their coaches and athletic departments try to secure them favors from faculty, but at UNL we're lucky to have great students and an athletic department that takes academics very seriously.

You must not have had Okafor in class ever, eh?

But honestly, on the whole, I completely agree what you're saying.. i was extremely surprised to see that out of Chris Brooks last year...

funny you should mention that I thought exactly the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02835c-_vI&feature=related