Mangino would be a good fit at Nebraska

NUance

Former KU football coach Mark Mangino would be a good fit at Nebraska

By Tom Keegan, Lawrence Journal-World, Dec. 28, 2010

Speculation has centered on Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson leaving the program after the Cornhuskers’ Holiday Bowl game Thursday against Washington. Watson’s a leading candidate for the Miami of Ohio head coaching job vacated by Mike Haywood, hired by Pittsburgh.

Mangino-to-Nebraska makes plenty of sense. Sure, Mangino has his detractors because of his fiery nature, but his sideline demeanor calls to mind Tom Landry’s when compared to Bo Pelini’s. Sure, Mangino lost his cool, but it never resulted in his team losing its cool during games. Mangino teams routinely did a solid job of avoiding penalties. Pelini’s team was penalized 16 times for 145 yards in a 9-6 loss to Texas A&M. It might sound strange to some, Raimond Pendleton included, but Mangino actually might have a calming influence on Pelini.

LINK

I don't think the Lawrence Journal-World has any insight on this. It's just a fluff article. But it would be a GREAT get for us to bring Mangino into the fold as OC.

would be interesting to get him, but highly doubt it. Although sales of Runza's would skyrocket!! (sorry had to do it)

Yeah. Normally, I’d say the odds would be nil of getting a former Big 12 HC to come in as OC. But the Mangino situation is different. He has ties to Pelini. Plus he got run out of Lawrence on a rail which reduces the chances of him getting a HC job at any decent school. So, it could be possible. I'd love to see it happen.

Damn Nuance, I didnt see your post.

I just posted this in the If Watson goes to Miami(OH) thread.

Yeah, I didn't know if this article warranted its own thread. BUt it's a slow NU news week. Plus, Mangino to NU could be a BIG deal. (/sorry. :-)

If he got ran out of Kansas, what makes you think TO would want him here?

First, I think Mangino got jobbed at KU. So the guy was a bit of a tyrant. This could be said about many of the great coaches throughout cfb history. (But who knows, maybe things went on behind the scenes that didn't get published.)

Second, he would jumpstart our offense.

Damn Nuance, I didnt see your post.

I just posted this in the If Watson goes to Miami(OH) thread.

Yeah, I didn't know if this article warranted its own thread. BUt it's a slow NU news week. Plus, Mangino to NU could be a BIG deal. (/sorry. :-)

No worries man. I agree ive been scaveging for any scrap of info i can get, im really dreading the offseason. I agree, Mangino probablly need his own thread to fit all of him in.

That was a poorly written article without much substance. What did anyone learn from it? Bo Pelini has a temper? Shocking! Mark Mangino ALSO has a temper?! Match made in heaven!! Kansas scored 70 on Nebraska? I don't buy it.

I don't fault the OP for posting it, because it's relevant, but I question why that guy would waste his time writing it without any hint there was interest on either side.

That was a poorly written article without much substance. What did anyone learn from it? Bo Pelini has a temper? Shocking! Mark Mangino ALSO has a temper?! Match made in heaven!! Kansas scored 70 on Nebraska? I don't buy it.

I don't fault the OP for posting it, because it's relevant, but I question why that guy would waste his time writing it without any hint there was interest on either side.

Because he can. And he knows people like us will take a minute out of our day to read it. Gah!

Its just speculation and the writers opinion(thats part of his job), just like we all speculated if taylor was quiting the team and all the other rumors and what not get put up on this board. It keeps things moving and us thinking of more possibilities if Wats does decide to leave.