Accountability

I think one thing that was missing this season was accountability. Sometimes guys on defense were held accountable for bad showings, but on offense? Not that I saw.

After the Texas game, Smith and Thenarse didn't see the field again. Their poor tackling in the UT game had a consequence, and we changed safeties.

Poor offensive showings against SDSU, Texas, aTm, Iowa St, OU and now UDub. Where is the accountability?

Martinez sucked but stayed in. Excuses came fast and furious from Watson. He needs to play through things, he needs to time. It seemed like we babied him and there weren't consequences when he performed poorly. That kind of treatment can really destroy team chemistry. How about you pull the plug when the guy doesn't have things going? Another post pointed out that Muschamp had figured that Martinez didn't read defensess. I can't believe Martinez was still in the game after those two underhand passes in the first half!!! WTF???? That was junior high execution!

Sirles holds in the end zone after getting beat. Was he in the next series? The offensive line was supposed to have depth, but they couldn't keep 3 DL's from sacking the qb. Did we switch guys out? I don't know.

You got one of the best receivers coaches in Ron Brown, but he's coaching tight ends. The receivers seemed out of it under Gilmore.

Totally unnecessary facemask penalties on special teams??? WTF???

:koolaid2:I drank the Koolaid at the beginning of the season. My fault, but man the expectations were so high, and the potential seemed to be there. That's why the disappointments were so tough to take.

I think one thing that was missing this season was accountability. Sometimes guys on defense were held accountable for bad showings, but on offense? Not that I saw.

After the Texas game, Smith and Thenarse didn't see the field again. Their poor tackling in the UT game had a consequence, and we changed safeties.

Poor offensive showings against SDSU, Texas, aTm, Iowa St, OU and now UDub. Where is the accountability?

Martinez sucked but stayed in. Excuses came fast and furious from Watson. He needs to play through things, he needs to time. It seemed like we babied him and there weren't consequences when he performed poorly. That kind of treatment can really destroy team chemistry. How about you pull the plug when the guy doesn't have things going? Another post pointed out that Muschamp had figured that Martinez didn't read defensess. I can't believe Martinez was still in the game after those two underhand passes in the first half!!! WTF???? That was junior high execution!

Sirles holds in the end zone after getting beat. Was he in the next series? The offensive line was supposed to have depth, but they couldn't keep 3 DL's from sacking the qb. Did we switch guys out? I don't know.

You got one of the best receivers coaches in Ron Brown, but he's coaching tight ends. The receivers seemed out of it under Gilmore.

:koolaid2:I drank the Koolaid at the beginning of the season. My fault, but man the expectations were so high, and the potential seemed to be there. That's why the disappointments were so tough to take.

Kind of makes you wonder, does Bo even have any control whatsoever of the offense, or does Watson have 100% freedom of that side.

Agreed with the whole accountability thought process... especially with the Thenarse example....BUT, I think that there is some accountability on offense. Yes, at times, as much as I "try" to support Martinez, I find myself asking the same..but the "underhand" passes you referred to, weren't as bad or ugly as they first appeared. I will agree, not sure what he was thinking on the first one (it was 3rd down and we were punting anyway), but if watched the 2nd one closely, it was the ONLY possible way for him to get the ball to Helu for a first down... Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Big Ben, etc. use this EXACT type of pass on the full speed roll out to the left to get the ball out. NOT JR HIGH.

I think it was Ricky Henry that held in the endzone, not Sirles, but your point is well taken.

Bo has burried WR in the past just like Thenarse, and has been known to bury RB who fumble...but I agree with you completely on accountability

** IMO, the best point made in OP is the fact that Ron Brown should be coaching WR, although I think he has a ton of knowledge coaching TE.... Gilmore not even close to Ron Brown on my scale

Kind of makes you wonder, does Bo even have any control whatsoever of the offense, or does Watson have 100% freedom of that side.

this makes me wonder too. Since Bo is a defensive genius I thought he would give some input to Watson on what to do to make defenses vulnerable. But it seems it has worked the exact opposite.

We need to get this figured out........ I see 4 definite losses on the schedule and invite to TicketCity Bowl if we conitune this way on offense. Teams have figured us out to the point that an average defense can stop us.

SDSU had the blueprint everybody else just executed it.

There was accountability on Offense-When Cody messed up they pulled him out immediately. Why didn't he get time, why didn't he get to 'play through those things'? Same thing happened with Zach Lee. I know they weren't our 'starting quarterbacks' but because they didn't get the time and coddling that Martinez got, they weren't ready when we needed them. I'll take Cody Green any day. He has poise in the pocket and I think that with some mentoring, he could be a stong leader on offense.

There was accountability on Offense-When Cody messed up they pulled him out immediately. Why didn't he get time, why didn't he get to 'play through those things'? Same thing happened with Zach Lee. I know they weren't our 'starting quarterbacks' but because they didn't get the time and coddling that Martinez got, they weren't ready when we needed them. I'll take Cody Green any day. He has poise in the pocket and I think that with some mentoring, he could be a stong leader on offense.

:yeah

I actually think the problem is that Bo Pelini has too much control of the offense. I think at some point (probably between last year's Big XII championship game and our Holiday Bowl vs Arizon) Pelini drank the Kool-Aid himself. He saw Martinez's speed and decided that if we have a big-play, spread option read offense we could be really good. I think Pelini got greedy. I, personally, don't think that Watson all by himself would initiate an option reed offense. I don't think it's him.

..but the "underhand" passes you referred to, weren't as bad or ugly as they first appeared. I will agree, not sure what he was thinking on the first one (it was 3rd down and we were punting anyway), but if watched the 2nd one closely, it was the ONLY possible way for him to get the ball to Helu for a first down... Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Big Ben, etc. use this EXACT type of pass on the full speed roll out to the left to get the ball out. NOT JR HIGH.

I coached junior high football for a few years, and those were junior high plays. I know you see some pros make those plays, but it's not like Martinez can really pass like those guys to begin with. The first pass, there wasn't a Husker receiver anywhere near the pass. If it hadn't been over the line of scrimmage, they could have called grounding (and why did the replay official take so much time on the replay? UDub declined the penalty). The second pass should have been intercepted, since it hit the UDub lineman in the chest.

As a junior high football coach, we didn't always put our best athlete at quarterback, we put our best decision-maker there. I don't see Martinez as the best decision maker, and those passes were just one example.

..but the "underhand" passes you referred to, weren't as bad or ugly as they first appeared. I will agree, not sure what he was thinking on the first one (it was 3rd down and we were punting anyway), but if watched the 2nd one closely, it was the ONLY possible way for him to get the ball to Helu for a first down... Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Big Ben, etc. use this EXACT type of pass on the full speed roll out to the left to get the ball out. NOT JR HIGH.

I coached junior high football for a few years, and those were junior high plays. I know you see some pros make those plays, but it's not like Martinez can really pass like those guys to begin with. The first pass, there wasn't a Husker receiver anywhere near the pass. If it hadn't been over the line of scrimmage, they could have called grounding (and why did the replay official take so much time on the replay? UDub declined the penalty). The second pass should have been intercepted, since it hit the UDub lineman in the chest.

As a junior high football coach, we didn't always put our best athlete at quarterback, we put our best decision-maker there. I don't see Martinez as the best decision maker, and those passes were just one example.

Like I said, the 1st one made NO SENSE to me why he would throw it....but I will respectfully disagree with you on the 2nd one. Yes, it hit a UW defender in the chest and should have been picked. Poor decision, maybe, but he was trying to make a play !!! The ONLY positives on offense the entire night was when Taylor scramble for postive yards. He was trying to make something happen and the UW LB made a good play.

Not comparing him to Brett Farve, etc....but I too have coached jr high fb and have spent last 15 yrs as a HS head coach (and never claimed to know more than the next guy).... When you see that at jr high it is because of lack of ability, but at this level, it is your "play maker" trying to make a play. I too think the QB must be your best decision maker, but I also try to put my best "play maker" at qb, so he has the ball in his hands the most.

He had NO shot of throwing the ball the correct way rolling (being chased) full speed to the left, being right handed, and being that close to the boundary. One, he couldn't get his hips turned, and two, if he raises arm to throw, the defender chasing would have easily stripped it. This was ONLY way to get ball forward. Helu was 2 steps inside the boundary and had a step on defender. If he gets ball by the LB, we all call it a "great play" and the announcers on tv "go-off" on how his speed outside the pocket is soo dangerous. They already were saying that. Unfortunately, it hit a LB, looked stupid and we lost.

we are about to find out the answer to this one...stay tuned.

Bo has had so much input into the offense, I'm not sure it is even a question. For better or for worse. And it's not entirely inappropriate but it does bring results into focus as Bo's mistakes. It is fine, every coach makes mistakes, and Bo could have a long, growing career ahead of him. But to pretend he didn't make any as head man is just trying not to see things.