Cody Green

I am intrigued by how far Cody has come to the point where he looks like he can be a good passing pocket quarterback with impressive size, speed and physical tools. Very impressed as he is taking shape as a QB when he was such a project. But he has not had and don't think he will get a chance here, in this offense. Best of luck to Cody, hope it can work out well somewhere.

All due respect, Cody's gotten to start 4 games here, which is way, WAY more of a chance than most QBs who come to Nebraska ever get.

That's true. 2 of those games were in his supposed-to-be redshirt year. It is worse for Cody that he had to start them than it is a credit that he got to. He shouldn't have played last year, period. He was thrown into a tough situation, and yanked quickly. Early on this year, it was the same thing with his 2nd quarter playing time. And his final two starts? After injury, he became starter by default. And was yanked the next game, despite Taylor not having healed up, because Taylor was 'The Man.' Got some time in A&M, but Taylor was sent back in as 'The Man.' Got the CU game - Taylor was suspended - and as soon as that was done Taylor was 'The Man' once more.

Cody got to flirt briefly with being 'The Man' last year when he shouldn't have, and never came close to it again. It couldn't be more clear that Taylor is far and away the top guy here right now, and it is because of the new offense's direction more than anything that I say Cody won't get a shot. This year he was always the substitute we had to go to without other options, nothing more.

Blackshirtsguru, I have no info on this, I am just saying it seems like the offense is moving on in a direction that will continue to leave Cody behind, so I think he should try his shot elsewhere. I think if he works hard and lands in the right situation, he could make something of it.

Do you think Martinez is far and away the "man" or do you think that is what the coaches think? I have an extremely hard time putting my eggs in Martinez's basket next year because of the way he fumbles every other play and how he cannot sustain long drives. He is only good for those 40-70 yard touchdown runs that only happen against BS defenses. It was obvious that when we faced a legit defense this year Martinez was horrible and don't use injuries as an excuse.

I like Green but folks should remember how he was struggling against meh competition earlier in the season. He lost the back-up spot to Lee and Watson showed little confidence in CG when we had to play him against ISU. Before the CU game he gave us little to inspire confidence and he was solid not killerr against CU, Burkhead in the wildcat did a lot. I do think he definitely should've gotten in against OU and earlier against Wash but if Lee had stayed healthy CG would probably be riding-pine and I'm not sold on him yet. He showed he knew what he was doing against Wash(showing pocket-presence, making reads) but pass after pass to open guy was off. Still needs to show he can overcome his nerves.

Cody Green is the leader we will need next year. We need a leader that is ready to roll up their sleeves and start kickin some a$$ and motivating teammates in order to compete in the Big Ten next year. There was a thread about accountability on the board earlier and Green defines accountability. He has always been willing to talk with the media even after disappointing losses when other players seem to shy away. He doesn't point fingers or make excuses and knows what it takes to be a leader. At quarterback you need the guy that is willing to put those extra hours in film study and preparation and I think Cody is a guy the offense can rally around next year. I think he has gained enough experience over the past two years to be a confident starter and I don't want to relive another season with a freshman quarterback without leadership skills. I hope Bo gives Cody a chance next year and uses Martinez's talent in a different way because he is too explosive to keep off the field.

I agree.I would add that they need to call plays that suit him when hes in there too. He doesnt have that first two steps=full speed like TM, so Zone read and QB draw stuff doesnt work as well, but roll outs allow him to get to full speed and get positive yds. Hes big and strong enough to run over some DBs too.

• Fire 1

Do you think Martinez is far and away the "man" or do you think that is what the coaches think

I think that is what one coach that matters thinks. I disagree pretty strongly.

It was obvious that when we faced a legit defense this year Martinez was horrible and don't use injuries as an excuse.

Although, I don't think this is fair. Will Muschamp ate Taylor for lunch and even gloated a bit in the papers, but injuries are really more than an excuse here. Taylor came back to light up Oklahoma State, so that potential is there. He is not as bad as we have seen lately, which is due a lot to injury.

Cody Green has shown us no consistency,ever. He still struggles with simple passes. I don't understand how people can defend him when he "gets thrown into games" and "has to many nerves" to get a good drive going. Truly talented athletes make plays when they are called upon, whether it be in the 1st half against a Div. II school or the 4th quarter of a national championship game.

Cody Green has shown more consistency than Martinez, I think Martinez was the most inconsistent player in all of college football he went from Heisman long shot to being benched several times. I think Bo likes Cody a hell of a lot more than Martinez and I think if he can grow the balls to get rid of Watson we will see Green as the starter next year

I respectfully disagree. Aside from the SDSU game, Martinez showed great consistency until he was injured. Please give me an instance where Green has been consistent for a time period longer than a single drive; show me some stats. Martinez has had monster games when 100% healthy. People just seem to thrown that fact out of the window. Green on the other had has never lived up the 4 star hype the followed him to Lincoln. I honestly do not believe that Green or Martinez will be the starter at the end of next year, UNLESS we get a QB coach who can actually develop a QB.

Consistency has NEVER been a part of Taylor's game. The warning cry at the beginning of the year? Taylor = big plays, then cold spells.

Green shows promise, but has not had the chance to really grow into it this year. He is still young, but I've detailed earlier why I feel like his handling has left his nerves a bit frayed. But he could just be a nervy kid that can't turn it on and game. I don't know. Even if so, the potential down the road is there if you show enough patience with him.

Taylor is just not consistent, no comparisons needed. He has had so many times where he's just turned it off even in the 'hot' games. That's something about Taylor we may have to live with.

• Fire 1

Cody Green has shown us no consistency,ever. He still struggles with simple passes. I don't understand how people can defend him when he "gets thrown into games" and "has to many nerves" to get a good drive going. Truly talented athletes make plays when they are called upon, whether it be in the 1st half against a Div. II school or the 4th quarter of a national championship game.

Cody Green has shown more consistency than Martinez, I think Martinez was the most inconsistent player in all of college football he went from Heisman long shot to being benched several times. I think Bo likes Cody a hell of a lot more than Martinez and I think if he can grow the balls to get rid of Watson we will see Green as the starter next year

I respectfully disagree. Aside from the SDSU game, Martinez showed great consistency until he was injured. Please give me an instance where Green has been consistent for a time period longer than a single drive; show me some stats. Martinez has had monster games when 100% healthy. People just seem to thrown that fact out of the window. Green on the other had has never lived up the 4 star hype the followed him to Lincoln. I honestly do not believe that Green or Martinez will be the starter at the end of next year, UNLESS we get a QB coach who can actually develop a QB.

What do you think about the way Cody Green handled the Colorado game? I am not trying to start a big argument but we all know Oklahoma State's defense is awful and that even I could have thrown for a bunch of touchdowns. I do not think Martinez can be 100% healthy for an entire year and I think the juice is not worth the squeezin as they say on 1620. There is no doubt that Martinez has the bigger upside but I have a hard time believing that he is willing to put the amount of work in needed at quarterback and that he would be the most consistent quarterback next year.

What do you think about the way Cody Green handled the Colorado game? I am not trying to start a big argument but we all know Oklahoma State's defense is awful and that even I could have thrown for a bunch of touchdowns. I do not think Martinez can be 100% healthy for an entire year and I think the juice is not worth the squeezin as they say on 1620.

I think that Colorado game plan /personnell, should be the one used to start next year. Cody and Rex managed that game well.I really wish they would move TM to receiver.As a QB,when his running ability is hindered or just not working he doesnt have a plan B to go to.

• Fire 1

I am intrigued by how far Cody has come to the point where he looks like he can be a good passing pocket quarterback with impressive size, speed and physical tools. Very impressed as he is taking shape as a QB when he was such a project. But he has not had and don't think he will get a chance here, in this offense. Best of luck to Cody, hope it can work out well somewhere.

All due respect, Cody's gotten to start 4 games here, which is way, WAY more of a chance than most QBs who come to Nebraska ever get.

That's true. 2 of those games were in his supposed-to-be redshirt year. It is worse for Cody that he had to start them than it is a credit that he got to. He shouldn't have played last year, period. He was thrown into a tough situation, and yanked quickly. Early on this year, it was the same thing with his 2nd quarter playing time. And his final two starts? After injury, he became starter by default. And was yanked the next game, despite Taylor not having healed up, because Taylor was 'The Man.' Got some time in A&M, but Taylor was sent back in as 'The Man.' Got the CU game - Taylor was suspended - and as soon as that was done Taylor was 'The Man' once more.

Cody got to flirt briefly with being 'The Man' last year when he shouldn't have, and never came close to it again. It couldn't be more clear that Taylor is far and away the top guy here right now, and it is because of the new offense's direction more than anything that I say Cody won't get a shot. This year he was always the substitute we had to go to without other options, nothing more.

Blackshirtsguru, I have no info on this, I am just saying it seems like the offense is moving on in a direction that will continue to leave Cody behind, so I think he should try his shot elsewhere. I think if he works hard and lands in the right situation, he could make something of it.

Cody was never supposed to redshirt. He played against Florida Atlantic in the first game, they never wanted to redshirt him, they wanted him ready to play.

If Cody was going to be "the man," then he'd be, "the man." He'd go balls to the wall this offseason and take the starting job away from Taylor. Especially the way these coaches manage QB competitions, and how those competitions go all the way through the offseason, if he wants to win the job, he'll have every shot to do that. Beat out Taylor, and the job is his.

I don't know what you're talking about with him, "not getting a shot." Cody's a dual-threat QB, that's why we recruited him, he ran the spread option when he was in high school, so this offense should fit him just fine. We didn't recruit him as a pocket-passer.

Great QB's don't need to be babied into their roles. Tommie Frazier took the job outright as a true freshman. Taylor took the job and scored a 46 yard touchdown on his first carry. If Cody's the guy we need, then he's going to take the job away from the others. He'll have every chance needed to do that this offseason. I just don't think he's that guy.

• Fire 1

Cody Green is the leader we will need next year. We need a leader that is ready to roll up their sleeves and start kickin some a$$ and motivating teammates in order to compete in the Big Ten next year. There was a thread about accountability on the board earlier and Green defines accountability. He has always been willing to talk with the media even after disappointing losses when other players seem to shy away. He doesn't point fingers or make excuses and knows what it takes to be a leader. At quarterback you need the guy that is willing to put those extra hours in film study and preparation and I think Cody is a guy the offense can rally around next year. I think he has gained enough experience over the past two years to be a confident starter and I don't want to relive another season with a freshman quarterback without leadership skills. I hope Bo gives Cody a chance next year and uses Martinez's talent in a different way because he is too explosive to keep off the field.

I agree. When he is prepared for a game (Colorado this year) and when the coaches are committed to him, he does really well.

I agree. When he is prepared for a game (Colorado this year) and when the coaches are committed to him, he does really well.

The coaches committed to him against Oklahoma last year, it didn't go so well. Maybe he did well because the coaches committed to him, or maybe he did well because Colorado was god-awful...

Do you think Martinez is far and away the "man" or do you think that is what the coaches think

I think that is what one coach that matters thinks. I disagree pretty strongly.

It was obvious that when we faced a legit defense this year Martinez was horrible and don't use injuries as an excuse.

Although, I don't think this is fair. Will Muschamp ate Taylor for lunch and even gloated a bit in the papers, but injuries are really more than an excuse here. Taylor came back to light up Oklahoma State, so that potential is there. He is not as bad as we have seen lately, which is due a lot to injury.

I disagree that Muschamp ate Taylor for lunch. Of course TM went nowhere in the running-game but their focus on the run opened-up the pass, and if not for several drops and Bo not calling for a replay TM would've had considerable success through the air. Maybe they weren't textbook passes but definitely catchable and he didn't have any picks. If we catch and PJ/Ricky tackle the Texas game is a W. The thing for me is that TM just wasn't the same qb late in the season. Obviously hobbled and mentally he seemed to degenerate rather than advance.

:rollin:wtf:bs:

That's the funniest thing I have seen all year, Bo is the only reason Cody Green isn't our quarterback right now.

Cody was never supposed to redshirt. He played against Florida Atlantic in the first game, they never wanted to redshirt him, they wanted him ready to play.

If Cody was going to be "the man," then he'd be, "the man." He'd go balls to the wall this offseason and take the starting job away from Taylor. Especially the way these coaches manage QB competitions, and how those competitions go all the way through the offseason, if he wants to win the job, he'll have every shot to do that. Beat out Taylor, and the job is his.

I don't know what you're talking about with him, "not getting a shot." Cody's a dual-threat QB, that's why we recruited him, he ran the spread option when he was in high school, so this offense should fit him just fine. We didn't recruit him as a pocket-passer.

Great QB's don't need to be babied into their roles. Tommie Frazier took the job outright as a true freshman. Taylor took the job and scored a 46 yard touchdown on his first carry. If Cody's the guy we need, then he's going to take the job away from the others. He'll have every chance needed to do that this offseason. I just don't think he's that guy.

Cody was supposed to redshirt, that was always the plan. What WASN'T the plan was Patrick Witt transferring and Kody Spano destroying his knee twice within a 6 month period. And COdy was not recruited into what we saw on the field this year, he was recruited to run a tweaked version of our 2008 offense.