Cody Green

I didn't have a problem with Taylor taking ownership either. I thought that was the right thing to say.

Here's one thing I would draw a contrast to.

Jamal Turner, at AA practices at receiver, where he is very raw and has a long way to go, gets his footwork coached up by a fellow player there. He is extremely receptive to the tips and thanks the player for it. Taylor, asked about his throwing abilities at his first presser, insists he is fine as a passer.

Doesn't mean much on its own, but I think there have been other things that point to Taylor perhaps not being the most coachable kid in the world, and as for Turner, he couldn't sound more coachable/Husker-red-bleeding/all-around good kid. He is almost too good to be true.

I would rather take a QB who has the chance of busting a long touchdown rather than a guy who hardly brings anything to the table. Cody takes to long of strides to be effective in the running game, and he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. It seems like every time he gets a chance, he squanders it. I might be willing to believe the CG hype if i had seen anything out of him besides a very mediocre performance against a really bad Colorado team. He may be a "leader", but he doesn't have the skills to be a starting QB.

OK and T-Magic performed great against SJSU didnt he.. And he also performed great in ummm being a CRAPTASTIC teamate and leader.. I bought into his hype in games 1 and to and was fooled.. I would not take this cat into any kind of battle i wanted to win.. Cody would be right there in the middle of it busting his ass for you.. T-Magic prob crying on the phone with his DADDY..

I would rather take a QB who has the chance of busting a long touchdown rather than a guy who hardly brings anything to the table. Cody takes to long of strides to be effective in the running game, and he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. It seems like every time he gets a chance, he squanders it. I might be willing to believe the CG hype if i had seen anything out of him besides a very mediocre performance against a really bad Colorado team. He may be a "leader", but he doesn't have the skills to be a starting QB.

OK and T-Magic performed great against SJSU didnt he.. And he also performed great in ummm being a CRAPTASTIC teamate and leader.. I bought into his hype in games 1 and to and was fooled.. I would not take this cat into any kind of battle i wanted to win.. Cody would be right there in the middle of it busting his ass for you.. T-Magic prob crying on the phone with his DADDY..

Here's the thing: we need a QB who's both a leader AND a talented QB.

I'll say again: let's not forget about Carnes, Turner, and Starling if he doesn't go to baseball. If T-Mart could start at QB as a freshman, there's no reason why any of those three couldn't.

I'll say again: let's not forget about Carnes, Turner, and Starling if he doesn't go to baseball. If T-Mart could start at QB as a freshman, there's no reason why any of those three couldn't.

If Carnes, Turner, or Starling do start, just what are the expectations going to be for them? I mean, Martinez set a number of records for freshman QBs this year, and now he's getting torn apart. It's not like Carnes, Turner or Starling are just going to come in and immediately look like veterans against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa...

Martinez had a better freshman year than Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch... We talk about all these recruits, hype them up, hope that they're all going to be the second coming of Turner Gill, and when one actually meets those expectations in his freshman year, he gets thrown under the bus. Unbelievable...

In ten years, the Holiday bowl and the Big 12 championship game are going to be footnotes. The history of Nebraska football will read, "2010 saw the introduction of redshirt freshman QB Taylor Martinez, who scored a 46-yard TD on his first carry as a Husker. In his freshman season, he helped lead his team to the Big 12 championship game, and set nearly every school record for freshman QBs even while being slowed by injuries during the second half of the season."

If Taylor doesn't become a tremendous college football player, then our coaching staff will not have done its job. Taylor's not a typical QB. But Lavonte David isn't a typical linebacker, nor is Eric Hagg. You get your best athletes on the field, and you exploit their strengths, even if you have to invent a new base defense (or offense) to do so.

If Carnes, Turner, or Starling do start, just what are the expectations going to be for them? I mean, Martinez set a number of records for freshman QBs this year, and now he's getting torn apart. It's not like Carnes, Turner or Starling are just going to come in and immediately look like veterans against Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Iowa...

Martinez had a better freshman year than Tommie Frazier and Eric Crouch... We talk about all these recruits, hype them up, hope that they're all going to be the second coming of Turner Gill, and when one actually meets those expectations in his freshman year, he gets thrown under the bus. Unbelievable...

In ten years, the Holiday bowl and the Big 12 championship game are going to be footnotes. The history of Nebraska football will read, "2010 saw the introduction of redshirt freshman QB Taylor Martinez, who scored a 46-yard TD on his first carry as a Husker. In his freshman season, he helped lead his team to the Big 12 championship game, and set nearly every school record for freshman QBs even while being slowed by injuries during the second half of the season."

If Taylor doesn't become a tremendous college football player, then our coaching staff will not have done its job. Taylor's not a typical QB. But Lavonte David isn't a typical linebacker, nor is Eric Hagg. You get your best athletes on the field, and you exploit their strengths, even if you have to invent a new base defense (or offense) to do so.

Thank God at least one poster understands that.

Let the mob whine, sob and cry that Cody or Zac didn't start this year and won't next year. In time they'll get over it.

Their expectations would be huge. That could be said for any starting QB at a division IA school. It comes with the territory.

All I'm saying is that we can't know how good these guys are going to be (for better or worse) until we get to see them run our offense in practice. Nobody saw Martinez starting until it happened. Maybe next year somebody shows enough in preseason to make the coaches say that they deserve the starting spot.

Their expectations would be huge. That could be said for any starting QB at a division IA school. It comes with the territory.

No, Nebraska fans' expectations are different than 95% of the other schools out there. How many other schools would expect to have a 10-4 season and a freshman all-american QB with a rs freshman in charge? Nebraska fans were not only expecting a conference championship - many people think that not winning a national championship was a letdown.

Oklahoma struggled in Landry Jones' first year more than we did this year. I'm guessing Texas would take our 10-4 record right now. Missouri's going to wish that they had a Taylor Martinez next year when Blaine Gabbert is gone.

Seriously, I know the kid has a lot to get better at, but the expectations are out of control...

If you had seen some of the players facebook pages at the beginning of the year their expectations weren't much different than those spoken of here. It's a lot to expect for sure but they knew what was at stake. I just expect a functional offense after a couple of years of self-destructing offense and numerous mental mistakes. It all starts with coaching, but the effort put forth in the bowl game was pitiful. "6 man line vs. 3 man rush" exemplifies that.

If you had seen some of the players facebook pages at the beginning of the year their expectations weren't much different than those spoken of here. It's a lot to expect for sure but they knew what was at stake. I just expect a functional offense after a couple of years of self-destructing offense and numerous mental mistakes. It all starts with coaching, but the effort put forth in the bowl game was pitiful. "6 man line vs. 3 man rush" exemplifies that.

i think the line laid down on Watson and Cotton, i don't think they BELIEVE, like the D does in Bo...no better reason to run off Watson and Cotton, they are losers.

i think the line laid down on Watson and Cotton, i don't think they BELIEVE, like the D does in Bo...no better reason to run off Watson and Cotton, they are losers.

I sure hope that was the reason. The thought of the game being thrown crossed my mind, I didn't think about it the way you presented it. That's much more logical and I hope you are correct. I'm sure Bo is just as frustrated with the offense as the rest of us and that won't go unnoticed in house. It's just a matter of time before the firings being (hopeful speculation).

No, Nebraska fans' expectations are different than 95% of the other schools out there. How many other schools would expect to have a 10-4 season and a freshman all-american QB with a rs freshman in charge? Nebraska fans were not only expecting a conference championship - many people think that not winning a national championship was a letdown.

Oklahoma struggled in Landry Jones' first year more than we did this year. I'm guessing Texas would take our 10-4 record right now. Missouri's going to wish that they had a Taylor Martinez next year when Blaine Gabbert is gone.

Seriously, I know the kid has a lot to get better at, but the expectations are out of control...

+1

Martinez for the most part was a huge experiment as a QB recruit, yet we expected a lot. Here's my advice to Bo and company. If you're going to continue to recruit project QB's like Cody, Martinez, Turner, etc.; it is crucial that you first redshirt them and second have them run the scout team as a flippin QB for Christ's sake.