Nice Chatelain Article on Watson

Chatelain is spot on, my friend. NU scored two TDs in the last 5 minutes of the USC game. In other words, in garbage time, throwing against USC's second team (or third team) D. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272580158

Oh really? Look at our last drive. LINK The play before our TD Taylor Mays made the pass break up. Was Taylor Mays a scrub? The play before that, USC's starting CB Cary Harris got a flag. So I guess it wasn't just scrubs on the field, was it? And even though USC had some second teamers mixed in with the starters, a lot of those second team USC guys would start on most teams.

And I suppose you believe that with a 32-point cushion heading into the fourth quarter, that mixture of first- and second-team defenders were going all out? If so, I've got some ocean-front property in Aurora to sell you . . . Look, why can't you just concede that those TDs were in garbage time? Even the Wikipedia entry acknowledges as much. (No, I didn't write it.) And if you're not willing to concede that those TDs came in garbage time against (at least some) back-up defenders that were no longer going all-out, then please provide a cogent explanation as to why it took Callahan/Watson's stellar offense 3.5 quarters to suddenly figure out how to score on USC in droves.

Same deal against Oklahoma State, where the second of our two TDs on the day came in the final minute, again in garbage time against Okie State's scrubs.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272860158

NU had a crappy offensive game against OSU. Maybe our worst offensive game of the year. But our TDs didn't come solely against OSU's scrubs like you say. Take a look for yourself. LINK The TD early in the 4th came against OSU's starters. And our last score came against first and second teamers——not against scrubs. Was Quinton Moore a scrub? Or Donovan Woods? Or Patrick Lavine? Or Tonga Tea? They were starters along with most of the guys on the field for OSU in the 4th qtr.

Again, see my points above. Apparently you think that our offense, held scoreless for three full quarters, suddenly figured out how to score a pair of TDs in the fourth quarter. Is it that, or did we just manage to finally punch the ball in once it was clearly out of hand and Okie State's players (and coaches) let up?

Until now, I thought it was common knowledge that many of Callahan's points that year came in garbage time.

The mere fact that Bill Callahan was a buffoon who deserved to be fired does not mean we had a bad offense in 2007. The whole points-in-garbage-time argument was invented by people who hated Callahan so much they wanted to prove NU sucked on both sides of the ball in 2007, not just our Cosgrovian defense which was really the cause of most our problems.

I didn't say we had a "bad" offense in 2007. The offense we have now is "bad." The point that Chatelain is making (and that everyone else but you recognizes) is that the 2007 offense was a little overrated, having the benefit of some padding its stats by racking up yards and points in games that were out of reach. How else can you explain 35 points total in two fourth quarters in blow-out losses to USC and Okie State?

btw, You didn’t bother to address the points I made in my post above. Maybe you forgot?

1) USC was #1 when we played them. Did NU score more points against USC than any other team they played in 2007?

2) Texas Tech scored on 10 points against Mizzou two weeks after we scored 6. Does that mean Mike Leach is an idiot at offense?

What the hell does either stat have to do with anything?

Regarding the first stat, South Dakota State held us to 17 points. Does that make them defensive juggernauts, ready to climb to the top of the I-A defensive rankings? I think not.

Regarding the second stat, don't you recognize that the transitive property doesn't work in football? For crying out loud, we scored 56 points against Washington in September, only to score 7 points against them in December. We scored our highest and second lowest point totals of the season against the same team. Explain that.

You're reaching, my friend. Why do you insist on making yourself look silly by defending the indefensible?