Nice Chatelain Article on Watson

You know, I don't mind people saying Watson should be gone... but this kind of article is sort of BS. Claiming that Osborne and Pelini made a decision that backfired on them is easy when no one knows what would have happened had we completely revamped the offensive staff in 2008. Truth is that in 2008, the offense carried the defense for most of the year, and Watson should get most of the credit for that. Who knows what might have happened in 2009 and 2010 if 2008 had been a 5-7 year. We might be where Michigan is right now...

.........and if the dog wouldn't have stopped to take a sh#t, he would surely have caught the rabbit.... :snacks:

You know, I don't mind people saying Watson should be gone... but this kind of article is sort of BS. Claiming that Osborne and Pelini made a decision that backfired on them is easy when no one knows what would have happened had we completely revamped the offensive staff in 2008. Truth is that in 2008, the offense carried the defense for most of the year, and Watson should get most of the credit for that. Who knows what might have happened in 2009 and 2010 if 2008 had been a 5-7 year. We might be where Michigan is right now...

Is that what he is blaming Osborne/Pelini for?

I guess I don't agree with him after all.

Fantastic article. This really shines a spotlight on the problem. Watson was not even the play caller under Callahan. He was simply the highest ranking offensive mind that Osborne/Pelini could tolerate keeping in place. Watson is not only a fish out of water calling plays in a non-West Coast Offense; he is a bit of a fish out of water calling plays, period.

Watson apologists will not appreciate Dirk pointing out that, although the offense posted some points in 2007, it was due to the fact that all the defenses in the Big 12 that year couldn't have been much worse off if they played with 10 men. It was a bad, bad year for defense. (Nebraska and its opponents combined for 335 points in its last three games.)

The point of the article is that Watson is the coaching equivalent of the donut spare you throw on your car until you can get to a service station. He helped us through the transition period, but now that the defense is back, continuing to drive on that spare tire is dangerous. It's time to swap him out for something more reliable and permanent. Whatever Watson's merit might be as a OC for a team running the WCO, he is absolutely not the guy for Nebraska going forward.

It was Callahan's show, that's why Watson wasn't playcaller. For the same simple reason that Bo is the DC here, so it was with Callahan and the offense. Whatever Carl's title may be, it is Bo's defense.

But if Bo is insistent upon this new direction it may make no sense to keep Watson, but that all goes back to what the plan is. What is it, Coach Bo? We will find out. If the plan is the promote Beck, then I say it is more of the same, which may not be a bad thing, and it is not wrong to let Watson go seek his fortunes elsewhere.

Fantastic article. This really shines a spotlight on the problem. Watson was not even the play caller under Callahan. He was simply the highest ranking offensive mind that Osborne/Pelini could tolerate keeping in place. Watson is not only a fish out of water calling plays in a non-West Coast Offense; he is a bit of a fish out of water calling plays, period.

Watson apologists will not appreciate Dirk pointing out that, although the offense posted some points in 2007, it was due to the fact that all the defenses in the Big 12 that year couldn't have been much worse off if they played with 10 men. It was a bad, bad year for defense. (Nebraska and its opponents combined for 335 points in its last three games.)

The point of the article is that Watson is the coaching equivalent of the donut spare you throw on your car until you can get to a service station. He helped us through the transition period, but now that the defense is back, continuing to drive on that spare tire is dangerous. It's time to swap him out for something more reliable and permanent. Whatever Watson's merit might be as a OC for a team running the WCO, he is absolutely not the guy for Nebraska going forward.

Many at Rivals are stating he wasn't the real OC as CU either. If true, he got a OC job at NU based on...."nothing". Which is precisely what we got.

Maybe he would be a competent WCO OC. It possible. But for the run based "anything" he is indeed a fish out of water. At best. It shows for all to see (SW apologists are even slowly starting to get it).

Bo makes a big change soon or TSHF next year.

Moreover, Callahan stuffed the stat sheet when games were out of reach. When it mattered, the offense often failed. Six points at Missouri, 14 against Texas A&M. Scoreless through three quarters against Oklahoma State, 10 through three quarters against USC.

I generally like Chatelain’s stuff. But this part about our 2007 offense is misleading.

Part of the reason Watson got the job in 2008 was because our offense in 2007 was pretty good (that, and for continuity/recruiting). Chatelain says the 2007 Huskers couldn’t score against good teams, pointing to USC, aTm and Mizzou. NU score more points against #1 USC than any other team they played in 2007. And the NU/USC game was an 11 point game well into the third qtr——then USC scored 21 in the 3rd and NU scored 21 in the 4th qtr. As for Mizzou, does anyone remember that Mizzou was ranked #1 for a couple weeks in 2007? The only team that beat Mizzou in 2007 was Oklahoma (twice). Two weeks after we played Mizzou they held pirate Mike Leach to 10 points. Would Chatelain argue that Mike Leach doesn't know offense? NU's only shameful offensive showing in 2007 was against aTm. Only putting up 14 on aTm in Memorial Stadium is shameful.

My point is: our offense in 2007 was pretty good. Not the best in the nation, but pretty good. It was our Kevin Cosgrove defense that lost 7 games in 2007, not our offense.

If Chatelain wants to pile on to Shawn Watson he should look at the current year instead of rewriting the history books.

Moreover, Callahan stuffed the stat sheet when games were out of reach. When it mattered, the offense often failed. Six points at Missouri, 14 against Texas A&M. Scoreless through three quarters against Oklahoma State, 10 through three quarters against USC.

I generally like Chatelain’s stuff. But this part about our 2007 offense is misleading.

Part of the reason Watson got the job in 2008 was because our offense in 2007 was pretty good (that, and for continuity/recruiting). Chatelain says the 2007 Huskers couldn’t score against good teams, pointing to USC, aTm and Mizzou. NU score more points against #1 USC than any other team they played in 2007. And the NU/USC game was an 11 point game well into the third qtr——then USC scored 21 in the 3rd and NU scored 21 in the 4th qtr. As for Mizzou, does anyone remember that Mizzou was ranked #1 for a couple weeks in 2007? The only team that beat Mizzou in 2007 was Oklahoma (twice). Two weeks after we played Mizzou they held pirate Mike Leach to 10 points. Would Chatelain argue that Mike Leach doesn't know offense? NU's only shameful offensive showing in 2007 was against aTm. Only putting up 14 on aTm in Memorial Stadium is shameful.

My point is: our offense in 2007 was pretty good. Not the best in the nation, but pretty good. It was our Kevin Cosgrove defense that lost 7 games in 2007, not our offense.

If Chatelain wants to pile on to Shawn Watson he should look at the current year instead of rewriting the history books.

Chatelain is spot on, my friend. NU scored two TDs in the last 5 minutes of the USC game. In other words, in garbage time, throwing against USC's second team (or third team) D. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272580158

Same deal against Oklahoma State, where the second of our two TDs on the day came in the final minute, again in garbage time against Okie State's scrubs.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272860158

Until now, I thought it was common knowledge that many of Callahan's points that year came in garbage time.

Chatelain is spot on, my friend. NU scored two TDs in the last 5 minutes of the USC game. In other words, in garbage time, throwing against USC's second team (or third team) D. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272580158

Same deal against Oklahoma State, where the second of our two TDs on the day came in the final minute, again in garbage time against Okie State's scrubs.

Until now, I thought it was common knowledge that many of Callahan's points that year came in garbage time.

You are spot on. In 2007, our offense scored points against other teams cheerleaders; soccor moms; and/or band members late in fourth quarters. Clownahans great offensive mind and offensive production was a mirage at best.

Oh really? Look at our last drive. LINK The play before our TD Taylor Mays made the pass break up. Was Taylor Mays a scrub? The play before that, USC's starting CB Cary Harris got a flag. So I guess it wasn't just scrubs on the field, was it? And even though USC had some second teamers mixed in with the starters, a lot of those second team USC guys would start on most teams.

NU had a crappy offensive game against OSU. Maybe our worst offensive game of the year. But our TDs didn't come solely against OSU's scrubs like you say. Take a look for yourself. LINK The TD early in the 4th came against OSU's starters. And our last score came against first and second teamers——not against scrubs. Was Quinton Moore a scrub? Or Donovan Woods? Or Patrick Lavine? Or Tonga Tea? They were starters along with most of the guys on the field for OSU in the 4th qtr.

The mere fact that Bill Callahan was a buffoon who deserved to be fired does not mean we had a bad offense in 2007. The whole points-in-garbage-time argument was invented by people who hated Callahan so much they wanted to prove NU sucked on both sides of the ball in 2007, not just our Cosgrovian defense which was really the cause of most our problems.

btw, You didn’t bother to address the points I made in my post above. Maybe you forgot?

1) USC was #1 when we played them. Did NU score more points against USC than any other team they played in 2007?

2) Texas Tech scored on 10 points against Mizzou two weeks after we scored 6. Does that mean Mike Leach is an idiot at offense?

You are spot on. In 2007, our offense scored points against other teams cheerleaders; soccor moms; and/or band members late in fourth quarters. Clownahans great offensive mind and offensive production was a mirage at best.

Did you play against NU in 2007? Just wondered. Maybe that is why you are such an expert.

And don't forget that Callahan and Carroll were buddies. USC could have scored into the 60s against us that year, but Carroll reined in the horses big-time.

How do you know this? Are you the aquarium guy?

Nuance

I have coached football for 10 years, if you dont think there is such a thing as garbage time then you are crazier then Ted Bundy.

I am a DC and I can tell you right now that I call games totally differently when the 3rd or 4th quarter hits and we are up big. The players will change in and out more often, starters mix with backups all over the field, the play calls change, sometimes I want a backup to get a chance to blitz, knowing that I could give up a HUGE play. Sometimes we play a soft zone, 5-7 yards softer then normal, letting the other team get some yards to eat up the clock.

Again, if you think the term garbage time was invented to make BC look bad, then you are nuts. BC made BC look bad. Also, if you think that DC's dont call a game differently when they are up big then you either love BC or hate reality.