Nice Chatelain Article on Watson

No, I just had the privilege to watch the pi$$ poor performance week after week after week. Mizzou had that most stellar #45 team defense in 2007. Clownahan called the game of his life to get those awesome 6 points. Clownahan really outdid himself with those huge 14 points in the fourth quarter put up against the #78 Okie State defense. In order to get that many points in the fourth quarter against the 78th best defense, it must have been homefield advantage and the momentum of feeding off the homecoming crowd. Who could forget those outstanding 14 points Clownahan put up against the 56th best defense in the land Texas A&M? I don't need to be an expert when I have facts and stats that are readily available. The USC game that you're so infatuated with was 42-10 entering the fourth quarter. USC was playing a prevent defense. This more than explains our stellar 31 yards rushing. We averaged 1.1 yards per rush. We put up a lot of passing yards against a prevent defense. By all means continue to tell me how great Clownahan's offense was. It was great when the defenders were playing 10-15 yards off the receivers in prevent. Other than that, it was a mirage.

No, I just had the privilege to watch the pi$$ poor performance week after week after week. Mizzou had that most stellar #45 team defense in 2007. Clownahan called the game of his life to get those awesome 6 points. Clownahan really outdid himself with those huge 14 points in the fourth quarter put up against the #78 Okie State defense. In order to get that many points in the fourth quarter against the 78th best defense, it must have been homefield advantage and the momentum of feeding off the homecoming crowd. Who could forget those outstanding 14 points Clownahan put up against the 56th best defense in the land Texas A&M? I don't need to be an expert when I have facts and stats that are readily available. The USC game that you're so infatuated with was 42-10 entering the fourth quarter. USC was playing a prevent defense. This more than explains our stellar 31 yards rushing. We averaged 1.1 yards per rush. We put up a lot of passing yards against a prevent defense. By all means continue to tell me how great Clownahan's offense was. It was great when the defenders were playing 10-15 yards off the receivers in prevent. Other than that, it was a mirage.

Okay, let’s look at the two best defenses we faced in 2007. USC ranked #4 in total defense and KU ranked #5 in the nation in total defense. We scored 31 against USC, and 39 against KU on the road. Both games were the most points given up by those two teams the whole year. Why don’t any of you guys bagging on the ’07 Husker offense ever mention these stats? LINK

If we had such a crappy offense in 2007 then why did NU score more points than any other team against the two top 10 defenses we faced? Also, it's almost impossible to have a high scoring offense with crappy defense. Usually the top offenses in the country have a decent defense to give them the ball back on a regular basis. The 2007 NU offense did not have this luxury since our defense was among the worst in the nation.

You know, I don't mind people saying Watson should be gone... but this kind of article is sort of BS. Claiming that Osborne and Pelini made a decision that backfired on them is easy when no one knows what would have happened had we completely revamped the offensive staff in 2008. Truth is that in 2008, the offense carried the defense for most of the year, and Watson should get most of the credit for that. Who knows what might have happened in 2009 and 2010 if 2008 had been a 5-7 year. We might be where Michigan is right now...

<_<:facepalm:

Okay, let’s look at the two best defenses we faced in 2007. USC ranked #4 in total defense and KU ranked #5 in the nation in total defense. We scored 31 against USC, and 39 against KU on the road. Both games were the most points given up by those two teams the whole year. Why don’t any of you guys bagging on the ’07 Husker offense ever mention these stats? LINK

If we had such a crappy offense in 2007 then why did NU score more points than any other team against the two top 10 defenses we faced? Also, it's almost impossible to have a high scoring offense with crappy defense. Usually the top offenses in the country have a decent defense to give them the ball back on a regular basis. The 2007 NU offense did not have this luxury since our defense was among the worst in the nation.

Ok, lets look at your Point a minute offense in 2007 in the USC game Nebraska after scoring 7 points in first quarter and a fg in the 2nd Nebraska went into half time 10 - 21. Then got shut out the third quarter where USC took 42 - 10 lead. I'm just guessing who then started to put their 2nd and third team defense where Nebraska scored 21 more points in Garbage time losing 49 - 31. All this did was hide the fact durring crunch time Callahan/Watson offense struggled and was as much to blame as Cosgrove defense.

After putting up the last 14 points of the first, the Trojan defense kept the momentum early in the second half, forcing a tipped pass that resulted in an interception on NU's opening drive to start USC at the Husker 33.

USC's defense put the game out of reach two plays later, when defensive end Kyle Moore picked off a Keller quick-hitter and returned it to the NU 1. I would say the NU offense hurt Nebraska defense more then helped out.

You bringup Kansas defense as all world. If I remember right they only played 1 team before the bowl game with a winning record that year and lost to that team. (Mizzou)

I remember a couple of things on this topic.

First I remember Watson calling the plays against aTm in 2007 and callahan standing way down the sideline. that might have been the first time he actually called the plays.

Second, I had a former player on the team when Joe Ganz was quarterback and the offense was putting up some numbers. It was his take that Ganz was making plays and turning a lemon of an offense into lemonade.

Third, I remember Watson calling the plays for colorado in 2001 and running the huskers out of the Big 12 title game.

Maybe he can coach, and maybe he can't. I'm tired of trying to figure the answer.

You know if Callahan called the plays instead of Watson during their time together, then to me, it seems the offensive success is more a credit to Callahan than Watson. Maybe we should have kept Callahan on as an OC. No, that wouldn't have worked out, Callahan would have been huddled in a corner somewhere crying everytime Bo yelled at him.

Even so, Callahan still didn't have a great offense. It failed miserable against Missouri, A&M, and Okie Light that year. Save a few garbage scores, it also failed against USC.

The one position on a team that I would let Bill Callahan coach would be offensive line, and that is it.

Wow another article by Dirk about Watson. I don’t know what this joker will write about if Watson leaves. :moreinteresting

At least he has the professionalism to tell it like it is instead of the fluff we read in the LJS.

You know, that's a very good point. The fluffy crap they throw in the LJS is written for five year old kids. It's sad that it's been that way for so long.

Wow another article by Dirk about Watson. I don’t know what this joker will write about if Watson leaves. :moreinteresting

At least he has the professionalism to tell it like it is instead of the fluff we read in the LJS.

You know, that's a very good point. The fluffy crap they throw in the LJS is written for five year old kids. It's sad that it's been that way for so long.

They write the stuff for the rah rah gang that want to beleive all is always well at NU when in fact it's not. It's good to hear/ read the truth. What amazed me is during the entire Callafraud "error" we all read how all is well. It was only until Callafraud and Pederson were let go did they print what was really going on. As though we could see what was what?

It's a good read, and I agree what was done at the time was questionable. Did it make sense on the surface? Yes. Did it set us back at this point of the resurection? Yes. Did anyone of us see NU possibly winning the Big 12 Championship in years 2 and 3 of Bo's regime? Doubtful.

All we can hope, no matter how it plays out, is that this offense can turn around and be good. I'm not talking about C******n era good, I'm talking about a real offense that puts up real points against good teams in meaningful situations.

Hey, maybe Miles goes to UM, Bo goes to LSU, and Wats is next in line here. If so, hopefully the entire D staff is retained. Maybe that is where the cards are going to fall :ahhhhhhhh

god i hope not. i would think there is a better chance TO comin back than him hiring an unproductive OC who calls the plays now and all of husker nation hates.