West Coast Offense

DJR313

Harold W. Andersen: Critics of Huskers should note newer players, improved defense

BY HAROLD W. ANDERSEN

WORLD-HERALD CONTRIBUTING EDITOR

With some followers of University of Nebraska football seeing red these days (definitely not the "Go Big Red" variety and definitely including multiple critics in the journalistic fraternity), let's try to bring some balance to the discussion of the Huskers' 3-0 performance to date in this second season under Coach Bill Callahan.

One of the most outspoken critics neglected to mention injuries to three veteran pass receivers and one promising freshman. Also unmentioned was the remarkable improvement in the Husker defense - at least in the three games to date. Head coaches and their staffs are responsible for developing defenses, too, you know.

Also little noted by the critics is the fact that this is the first year - not the second - under the tutelage of Callahan and his staff for 19 freshmen (not including redshirts) and junior-college transfers who this year are seeing their first Husker playing time.

It's perhaps time to repeat some sound advice from, of all places, the Denver Post. Early in 2003, sportswriter Bill Briggs examined the time it took five football powers to climb into the Associated Press' Top 5 after a "falloff" season - for Texas, 15 years; Ohio State, eight years; Alabama, seven years; Notre Dame, eight years.

For Oklahoma, after failing to make the AP Top 25 in 1992, it took the Sooners eight seasons to climb back, including three consecutive losing seasons, followed by an unranked 7-5 season in '99 and a national championship in 2000. The Post columnist's comments ended on an upbeat note for Nebraska which, he said, has "a brawny foundation on which to rebuild."

http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/news/articl...es.asp?id=34183

I am not really familiar with UCLA's personnel, but they had 2 rough seasons now it clicks and they are scoring points in bunches.

Here's part of an article to go against the UCLA one. It's from the OWH, Shatel:

First downs and second guesses while wondering if Bill Callahan saw the Urban Meyer interview on Monday night:

The Florida coach was the halftime guest during ESPN's LSU-Tennessee game. Meyer is the flavor of the day in college football. The latest young offensive genius. His baby is the "spread option." Nobody seems to have an answer.

The talking heads asked Meyer how his system was going to fare in the Southeastern Conference, intimating it would either get exposed or validated.

"We don't have an offense (system)," Meyer said. "Our offense is what our players do best. Last year at Utah we didn't throw downfield. Now we do because we have Chris Leak."

Now that's genius.

nope, that is just understanding what skills your players have and building a game plan to best utilize those skills......every year, year after year, and not being stuck on a game plan that you like, just because you believe in it......hell you wouldn't take a Volkswagen to the dirt track would you? i will be very surprised if we see cally change his strategy based on the players he has, IMHO we will lose games we should have won until he gets enough of his guys on board to play the game his way.........we have already see proof of this philosophy

hunter

For you historians:

What year was the triple option used initially at NU? When TO used the passing game , was it in '77 with Ferragamo and then Humm? When did they get back to the triple option or was it without a break since it began?

I thought it was '79, maybe I am mistaken. And walksalone, welcome back. I miss the option too, the way NU ran it to perfection a while back. It truly was a thing of beauty.

I think this fits here. Was listening to an interview with Terry Bowden and he made mention of two coaches and gave props to their schools for sticking with them. Frank Beamer had 6 consecutive losing seasons in Blacksburg and McCarthy (although we know his team is still abiot weak to compete on a national level, but consider where they came from) have all taken there teams to the top, but it took time. Callahan needs some time.....I support him.