Keys for Tonight/Mizzou

In order for Doc's boys to pull the upset tonight here are five things that are absolutely critical for the team. Ironicly the same can be said every conference game for this team.

1. Turnover battle must be won. With Mizzou's pressure someone other than Jeter will HAVE to be able to handle the rock and make good decisions in the open floor. Here is looking at you BRich, Ray, and I think we may see some more Brown. Handling their pressure can create easy scoring chances. Also the Huskers cannot give up 15+ points on easy buckets from TOs.

2. The bigs must be physical on the glass. Mizzou's bigs have always crashed the boards hard on both ends. Diaz and Almaida must show up and be physical. 2nd chance points kill the Huskers in conference play the last couple of years.

3. The cold funk they are in from 3 point land has to end. To pull an upset you need to hit from the outside, and 4 or 5 threes a game won't cut it. With Bear probably not playing this becomes a definite concern. Hit some of those outside jumpers and the defenses start loosening up on the bigs. BRich, Drake, Jeter, Ray, and McCray can stroke pretty good it is time for two or three of these guys to heat up.

4. Get to the line and then capitalize. Another famous Big XII bugaboo for Doc's teams are free throw struggles. Get to the line put Mizzou in some foul trouble and use the free throws for a little rest. They'll need it.

5. Show up early. Mizzou will be jacked after their embarassing performance in Boulder. Don't let it get out of hand in the first 10 minutes and give youself a chance.

If they can do these things, again almost a microcosm of the rest of the season as far as keys to victory, they have a chance. Match the energy of a pissed off Mizzou team playing at home early and there is a chance. Doc has went down to Columbia twice before and got the W, so he knows it can be done. A victory will do nothing but increase the positive vibes this team is trying to build. And that can only bold well for the KU game. But tonight is key, show up and give yourself a chance.

They have to shoot lights out, right around 50% or above and they have to win the rebounding margin by 10+. If nebraska does that they have a very good chance. This MU squad is much better at scoring then the past years teams, but not near as good on defense. they still pressure you, they still run all game, but they are more likely to play zone than man, just simply because they are not a very good man team right now. Mizzou had played a very tough non con schedule, i believe it was 7th in the country and had lost just one game, GTown, a game that they came back in and should have won. So getting smacked in the face against CU was a first. I am interested to see how this team responds on D, because they clearly left that at home when they went to CU.

In order for Doc's boys to pull the upset tonight here are five things that are absolutely critical for the team. Ironicly the same can be said every conference game for this team.

1. Turnover battle must be won. With Mizzou's pressure someone other than Jeter will HAVE to be able to handle the rock and make good decisions in the open floor. Here is looking at you BRich, Ray, and I think we may see some more Brown. Handling their pressure can create easy scoring chances. Also the Huskers cannot give up 15+ points on easy buckets from TOs.

2. The bigs must be physical on the glass. Mizzou's bigs have always crashed the boards hard on both ends. Diaz and Almaida must show up and be physical. 2nd chance points kill the Huskers in conference play the last couple of years.

3. The cold funk they are in from 3 point land has to end. To pull an upset you need to hit from the outside, and 4 or 5 threes a game won't cut it. With Bear probably not playing this becomes a definite concern. Hit some of those outside jumpers and the defenses start loosening up on the bigs. BRich, Drake, Jeter, Ray, and McCray can stroke pretty good it is time for two or three of these guys to heat up.

4. Get to the line and then capitalize. Another famous Big XII bugaboo for Doc's teams are free throw struggles. Get to the line put Mizzou in some foul trouble and use the free throws for a little rest. They'll need it.

5. Show up early. Mizzou will be jacked after their embarassing performance in Boulder. Don't let it get out of hand in the first 10 minutes and give youself a chance.

If they can do these things, again almost a microcosm of the rest of the season as far as keys to victory, they have a chance. Match the energy of a pissed off Mizzou team playing at home early and there is a chance. Doc has went down to Columbia twice before and got the W, so he knows it can be done. A victory will do nothing but increase the positive vibes this team is trying to build. And that can only bold well for the KU game. But tonight is key, show up and give yourself a chance.

1. It's great that B-Rich will be able to go, they'll need him to handle the ball. Not sure if I completely trust Gallegos or not. Brown intrigues me; I was not impressed with him in the exhibition game he played, but in the ISU game it looked like he'll be a good ball handler and nice change of pace (small but QUICK) from Jeter's physical presence. You're exactly right about handling the press=easy chances, the key here is will the big guys finish on these plays? Diaz, if the press is broken and you get fed, slam the damn thing down.

2. I had high hopes for physical play from the bigs this year, but so far I'm not going to count on it.

3. Woulda been nice to have Bear for this game. Hopefully Drake, Jeter or McCray (better yet all of them) has a hot hand. P.S. - what the hell is Gallegos deal shooting the set 3? Talk about a headcase, I've never seen anyone have it get in their head so badly.

4. Amen, let's just hope they actually do it.

5. See #4

This Mizzou team does not like to play defense. Mike Andersen's success has led to better recruits, but the trade-off is that those better recruits don't want to play the smothering defense that Andersen has built his program on. If Nebraska can hit shots and withstand Mizzou runs (they will have runs, they're extremely good offensively), they have a chance. I don't think they'll pull it off, but Doc is pretty good against Mizzou and has surprised down there before.