Keys for Tonight/Mizzou

Final

Mizzou wins 77-69

Nebraska never gave up though, it was as close as 4 with 35 seconds to go. Once we lost Jeter when he was in foul trouble we really didnt have someone to dictate the offense. Brown didnt play all that bad but had a couple of costly turnovers. Toney McCray had himself a ball game though scoring 17 along with 5 boards. Walker also played pretty well scoring 12. Wasn't impressed at all with Diaz and Beranek. Diaz couldnt finish and went up weak with the ball, often getting blocked. Only finished with 5 board but very well could have had 10 if played like he wanted to be there. Berakek just played sloppy. He had 4 costly turnovers when we were in the middle of coming back. He has had some good games but tonight wasn't one of them.

All in all though losing by 8 at Mizzou, when its your first road game of the year isn't bad at all especially when we could have played a lot better. This team showed resilience and I like that.

Final

Mizzou wins 77-69

Nebraska never gave up though, it was as close as 4 with 35 seconds to go. Once we lost Jeter when he was in foul trouble we really didnt have someone to dictate the offense. Brown didnt play all that bad but had a couple of costly turnovers. Toney McCray had himself a ball game though scoring 17 along with 5 boards. Walker also played pretty well scoring 12. Wasn't impressed at all with Diaz and Beranek. Diaz couldnt finish and went up weak with the ball, often getting blocked. Only finished with 5 board but very well could have had 10 if played like he wanted to be there. Berakek just played sloppy. He had 4 costly turnovers when we were in the middle of coming back. He has had some good games but tonight wasn't one of them.

All in all though losing by 8 at Mizzou, when its your first road game of the year isn't bad at all especially when we could have played a lot better. This team showed resilience and I like that.

Listening to the postgame, they're saying pretty much what you said Redout. I watched the game with Mizzou commentary which often poked fun at NU, so I'm probably a little more upset than I should be. There were some bright spots in this game as you pointed out.

If Doc could just get a shooter and a halfway aggressive big man, this team wins this game and many more. This one was awfully frustrating, though. So close a couple different times.

If you had told me before the game Nebraska would lose by 9 and with a minute left only be down 4-5, I would have said that's a good showing. But this was not a good showing. Pathetic play by pretty much every guy on the team. Jeter played alright. This one was frustrating.

Agreed. Left the baseline open. Not good defense.

Offense looked lost.. disappointing night. Mizzou is not very good honestly.

They have to shoot lights out, right around 50% or above and they have to win the rebounding margin by 10+. If nebraska does that they have a very good chance. This MU squad is much better at scoring then the past years teams, but not near as good on defense. they still pressure you, they still run all game, but they are more likely to play zone than man, just simply because they are not a very good man team right now. Mizzou had played a very tough non con schedule, i believe it was 7th in the country and had lost just one game, GTown, a game that they came back in and should have won. So getting smacked in the face against CU was a first. I am interested to see how this team responds on D, because they clearly left that at home when they went to CU.

Nice try, but you're a little off. According to this here link, you need to add 200. According to them, Mizzou (#47) has the 207 toughest schedule. I realize this may be a little off from other publications, but I don't think it's 200 places off.

They have to shoot lights out, right around 50% or above and they have to win the rebounding margin by 10+. If nebraska does that they have a very good chance. This MU squad is much better at scoring then the past years teams, but not near as good on defense. they still pressure you, they still run all game, but they are more likely to play zone than man, just simply because they are not a very good man team right now. Mizzou had played a very tough non con schedule, i believe it was 7th in the country and had lost just one game, GTown, a game that they came back in and should have won. So getting smacked in the face against CU was a first. I am interested to see how this team responds on D, because they clearly left that at home when they went to CU.

Nice try, but you're a little off. According to this here link, you need to add 200. According to them, Mizzou (#47) has the 207 toughest schedule. I realize this may be a little off from other publications, but I don't think it's 200 places off.

it was a few weeks ago when i looked, granted they played a few cupcakes since then and this early in the season those numbers can jump drastically. I should have searched again before posting that. with that said it doesnt erase the good teams they had played and beaten up to this point, and realtimerpi has them at 45 so that just shows how different sites are far apart as well.

nebraska is better this year than years past, but there are alot of ifs and buts going on here. if we had a shooter, if we had a big man. What about if mu hit some of those bunnies they missed, and if someone other than denman could actually hit a shot. point is neither team played perfect, but the better team won. It had more to do with Mu being better than it had to do with Ne blowing it. but then again it probably depends on what glasses you are wearing. My glasses showed me that my team shot below all their avgs from the field, from 3 and from the line. that they missed a number of easy shots and by playing reckless let a team hang around. your glasses showed that mu never put you away and everytime you got close they went on a run because you did something wrong.

Missouri is pretty good, how good i am not sure yet. this team is just not good enough on D and they dont have a killer instinct. They let lesser teams hang around and keep it close. its the one thing the have done with any consistency all year.

As far as Nebraska goes, they are a decent team and playing with some confidence. That makes them a dangerous team. Teams like that are ones that hang around teams like MU/ku/baylor/TX and beat them. Your schedule lines up to not be too bad. THe next one is a hard one, but ku has not been putting teams away and has played a number of close games. CU is looking good, but you have them at home. them you follow that up with 1 you absolutly should win, TT on the road then a tough one i think you could win with ATM at home. There is a very good chance that NE can finish jan at 3-3 in conference. That is the key for Ne IMHO. it is how the next 4-5 games go that will determine what you do this year. NE is good enough to finish in the middle of the pack, but how you play, with confidence and fire will determine if finish in the top 6. Which i think is very possible because i think you win more in Feb than you lose. And if this team believes it can win that just ups the ante.

it was a few weeks ago when i looked, granted they played a few cupcakes since then and this early in the season those numbers can jump drastically. I should have searched again before posting that. with that said it doesnt erase the good teams they had played and beaten up to this point, and realtimerpi has them at 45 so that just shows how different sites are far apart as well.

nebraska is better this year than years past, but there are alot of ifs and buts going on here. if we had a shooter, if we had a big man. What about if mu hit some of those bunnies they missed, and if someone other than denman could actually hit a shot. point is neither team played perfect, but the better team won. It had more to do with Mu being better than it had to do with Ne blowing it. but then again it probably depends on what glasses you are wearing. My glasses showed me that my team shot below all their avgs from the field, from 3 and from the line. that they missed a number of easy shots and by playing reckless let a team hang around. your glasses showed that mu never put you away and everytime you got close they went on a run because you did something wrong.

Missouri is pretty good, how good i am not sure yet. this team is just not good enough on D and they dont have a killer instinct. They let lesser teams hang around and keep it close. its the one thing the have done with any consistency all year.

As far as Nebraska goes, they are a decent team and playing with some confidence. That makes them a dangerous team. Teams like that are ones that hang around teams like MU/ku/baylor/TX and beat them. Your schedule lines up to not be too bad. THe next one is a hard one, but ku has not been putting teams away and has played a number of close games. CU is looking good, but you have them at home. them you follow that up with 1 you absolutly should win, TT on the road then a tough one i think you could win with ATM at home. There is a very good chance that NE can finish jan at 3-3 in conference. That is the key for Ne IMHO. it is how the next 4-5 games go that will determine what you do this year. NE is good enough to finish in the middle of the pack, but how you play, with confidence and fire will determine if finish in the top 6. Which i think is very possible because i think you win more in Feb than you lose. And if this team believes it can win that just ups the ante.

Let me start by saying: Missouri is clearly a better team than Nebraska, no question about it. I also realize the "ifs" are huge, and while I can't speak for the others, when I say "if only this team had a shooter" I mean "why can't Doc identify talent better? He's a good coach but I am seriously questioning his ability to identify and land an offensive threat." In no way am I saying it's something that could have been corrected last night and led to an NU victory, it's a serious problem Doc has had ever since he got here.

I'm so tired of other fans saying "If our team had shot like they normally do, you would have been blown out." Enough already. After 4 years of teams having their worst shooting performances against NU, can we please admit it's because of Nebraska's style of play. It's not just contesting shots either, every game NU's opponents miss open shots as the game wears on because NU's relentless defense tires/frustrates opponents leading to MISSED SHOTS. NU is top 2 in the nation in opponent points/game AND opponent field goal percentage. It really annoys me that after EVERY game I hear from opposing fans "If we had just hit the shots we usually do..."

Generally speaking i know what your talking about. Its just like how Mu has been one of the top teams in steals and to margin for the past 3 years but when we win it was because "the opposing team made a silly mistake on that turnover". I understand your frustrations. However game to game all things considered that may or may not be true. Nebraska is much more likely to wear and tear a team they are equal to then they are a team like KU. Speaking just about last nights game, Mu has flaws. Taking bad shots is one of them. And you can not deny that nebraska had little to nothing to do with mu missing a number of wide open shots. They where not presured into missing them, they just missed. even with that said MU blew past every avg Ne normally posts for pts allowed, shooting % & 3pt defense. And although I like that Ne plays to their strengths as a grind it out team, we both know that those scoring stats have more to do with milking the clock and an extremely poor non con schedule every year than it has to do with an all conference smothering defense.

With that said, the style is effective against equal or lesser teams. Even teams that maybe better than NE but want to play a slow style. Allows Ne to be in their pockets the whole game. And I agree that Doc is a good coach. Finding scoring talent is a weakness for the program. Is that because he goes after high level risky talent that never makes it to school. Or because he goes after talent that will rarely ever choose a low level bcs team like ne over the other mid to high level bcs schools also recruiting that player? it seems to me in watching him over the years is that he does to much of both of those instead of finding that borderline player that maybe 3 inches shorter than you want. Get the guys that can play that end up at the UNI/MSU/WSU's of the world. Many would jump at the chance to play major conference basketball and those type of players can help you build to bigger talents. instead you get the all world team, made up of guys whos names i cant pronounce ;) and hinge hopes on kids that will never make it to college. I dont know if its in the evaluation, or in the type of guy he goes after. However i must say he does have a nice way of getting guys that play all out, are coachable and dedicated to playing his style.

On a side note, bball_backer, redout, kc_husker & any others who hang around and talk husker hoops. I have a lot of respect for you guys. Its not easy to follow and love and team/program that are just not very good. I know your pain and frustration. It takes a true fan to love a team when they give you nothing in return. I know way too many "true huskers" who cheer on other programs and even rival schools because they dont want to follow a loser. They pick other winners and cheer for them. When the time comes it makes it that much sweeter for you to have a winner. I enjoy every winning season for the FB tigers because there were none when i was growing up. And please dont think this is pity, cause its not. its nothing but respect to you guys. :cheers

• Fire 1

Generally speaking i know what your talking about. Its just like how Mu has been one of the top teams in steals and to margin for the past 3 years but when we win it was because "the opposing team made a silly mistake on that turnover". I understand your frustrations. However game to game all things considered that may or may not be true. Nebraska is much more likely to wear and tear a team they are equal to then they are a team like KU. Speaking just about last nights game, Mu has flaws. Taking bad shots is one of them. And you can not deny that nebraska had little to nothing to do with mu missing a number of wide open shots. They where not presured into missing them, they just missed. even with that said MU blew past every avg Ne normally posts for pts allowed, shooting % & 3pt defense. And although I like that Ne plays to their strengths as a grind it out team, we both know that those scoring stats have more to do with milking the clock and an extremely poor non con schedule every year than it has to do with an all conference smothering defense.

With that said, the style is effective against equal or lesser teams. Even teams that maybe better than NE but want to play a slow style. Allows Ne to be in their pockets the whole game. And I agree that Doc is a good coach. Finding scoring talent is a weakness for the program. Is that because he goes after high level risky talent that never makes it to school. Or because he goes after talent that will rarely ever choose a low level bcs team like ne over the other mid to high level bcs schools also recruiting that player? it seems to me in watching him over the years is that he does to much of both of those instead of finding that borderline player that maybe 3 inches shorter than you want. Get the guys that can play that end up at the UNI/MSU/WSU's of the world. Many would jump at the chance to play major conference basketball and those type of players can help you build to bigger talents. instead you get the all world team, made up of guys whos names i cant pronounce ;) and hinge hopes on kids that will never make it to college. I dont know if its in the evaluation, or in the type of guy he goes after. However i must say he does have a nice way of getting guys that play all out, are coachable and dedicated to playing his style.

No. They don't milk the clock at all this year... they're finally doing what Doc promised, which is run baseline to baseline. They aren't doing it all game, but they no longer work the shot clock like they used to. And almost every other program has played a weak schedule to this point, it's not like NE is the only one playing some cupcakes, so the stats are not THAT skewed. They won't finish in the top 2 of those stats, but like the last couple years, they'll finish with a very good ranking in those respective areas.

As for the talent thing - it's a mix of problems. Arguably one of the best recruits that didn't make it was simply because of an admissions screw up and then a bullsh*t rule the Big 12 has but I've never found an explaination for... and I've looked. Now that Asst. Coach Roese is gone, I look for the international recruiting to stop. Doc has added two very capable assistants, and they've already got 3 guys coming in next year that look pretty promising (and all 3 are American High Schoolers that were recruited by other major schools).

On a side note, bball_backer, redout, kc_husker & any others who hang around and talk husker hoops. I have a lot of respect for you guys. Its not easy to follow and love and team/program that are just not very good. I know your pain and frustration. It takes a true fan to love a team when they give you nothing in return. I know way too many "true huskers" who cheer on other programs and even rival schools because they dont want to follow a loser. They pick other winners and cheer for them. When the time comes it makes it that much sweeter for you to have a winner. I enjoy every winning season for the FB tigers because there were none when i was growing up. And please dont think this is pity, cause its not. its nothing but respect to you guys. :cheers

You nailed it. MANY of my friends talk about how they bleed red starting in April and going through December, then during basketball they're suddenly Duke or KU fans. It really is unbelievable. Hopefully someday we'll see Nebrasketball step it up like Mizzou football has :cheers