Clues to Our 'new' Offense...

irieboy8

Who thought Taylor Martinez was NOT entrenched? People believe the most outlandish things sometimes.

Frankly, someone is going to have to beat him out for the starting job.

i think a lot of people thought TM starting was not a 100 percent...... i think Bo even said the QB comp. was open this year as well and taylor is gonna have to earn it again.... it could be just talk I guess but i still found it interesting

TM's not a lock. He could get injured (knock on wood) or somebody could step up and play out of their mind in the offseason and dethrone him. But he is the frontrunner, by far, and it's nuts to expect freshmen like Carnes, Starling, or Turner to win the job this season, which is what some people think is going to happen.

Agree. If somebody other than Martinez is walking out taking the first snaps against Tenn-Chatt, then we are in some serious trouble this season. Quite frankly it doesnt matter who the QB is, if our offense conitunes to produce like it has the past 2 years, we will be 8-4 at best. Its Martinez's job to lose as much as I hate to say that.

Of course I thought Zac Lee was gonna be our starter in 2010, no question about it.

I don't think we're in the midst of changing offenses this year, though. Zac Lee didn't lose his job because he's not a good QB, he lost his job because he's just not as good of a fit for the offensive system Nebraska is now running. He wasn't enough of a threat running the football for what the coaches want to do.

Of course we all didnt really know we were to this zone read stuff till about 3 days before the first game either this past year.

Who thought Taylor Martinez was NOT entrenched? People believe the most outlandish things sometimes.

i think a lot of people thought TM starting was not a 100 percent...... i think Bo even said the QB comp. was open this year as well and taylor is gonna have to earn it again.... it could be just talk I guess but i still found it interesting

TM's not a lock. He could get injured (knock on wood) or somebody could step up and play out of their mind in the offseason and dethrone him. But he is the frontrunner, by far, and it's nuts to expect freshmen like Carnes, Starling, or Turner to win the job this season, which is what some people think is going to happen.

Agree. If somebody other than Martinez is walking out taking the first snaps against Tenn-Chatt, then we are in some serious trouble this season. Quite frankly it doesnt matter who the QB is, if our offense conitunes to produce like it has the past 2 years, we will be 8-4 at best. Its Martinez's job to lose as much as I hate to say that.

Of course I thought Zac Lee was gonna be our starter in 2010, no question about it.

I don't think we're in the midst of changing offenses this year, though. Zac Lee didn't lose his job because he's not a good QB, he lost his job because he's just not as good of a fit for the offensive system Nebraska is now running. He wasn't enough of a threat running the football for what the coaches want to do.

Of course we all didnt really know we were to this zone read stuff till about 3 days before the first game either this past year.

Really? That's what I thought we were doing... I wasn't on the board much until that point last year, but I remember thinking starting at the Holiday Bowl against Arizona that we were going to be moving towards a spread option game...

i think it is playing to the strength of our team.we are smaller and faster than alot of teams in the big 10 and we need to utilize our speed because we wont be able to line up and run over teams like wisconsin, penn state, and ohio state

And thats why Nu does not have very good records for awhile. Running a spread like the sec is good and all as long as you dont play power run teams every week. The sec took it to the B10 this year, but those guys dont have to play big power run teams week in and week out. If it's hard to keep a 200 to 215 pound back healthy all year in B10 play, how do you think a 180 pound back will fair against 220 pound line backers? No run game turns a team into a one dimensional team. While a pass orientated team can have some sucess, I dont deny, they are rarely a serious contender. Just ask Persa from northwestern.

i think it is playing to the strength of our team.we are smaller and faster than alot of teams in the big 10 and we need to utilize our speed because we wont be able to line up and run over teams like wisconsin, penn state, and ohio state

And thats why Nu does not have very good records for awhile. Running a spread like the sec is good and all as long as you dont play power run teams every week. The sec took it to the B10 this year, but those guys dont have to play big power run teams week in and week out. If it's hard to keep a 200 to 215 pound back healthy all year in B10 play, how do you think a 180 pound back will fair against 220 pound line backers? No run game turns a team into a one dimensional team. While a pass orientated team can have some sucess, I dont deny, they are rarely a serious contender. Just ask Persa from northwestern.

What does NU running a spread option offense have anything to do with what other big ten teams' offense runs? If your 220 linebacker has to chase fast guys around all game they will get wore down. LaMicheal James had a pretty good year i hear.

Tired of hearing the big ten sterotype already. After the first year it will either be whoa we got our asses ran over, or most likely... whoa Nebraska is fast, we need speed. Thats why tOSU has been so dominate in the big 10 they have the best recruiting in the big 10 and get the speed. Not quite like the SEC but enough to make a difference in the big10. Which is what we are going to bring to the table....judging by the athletes we are recruiting.

If Michigan had our defense they would have blown up the big ten.

• Fire 1

I was trying to get at that in my Bold Predictions post....I don't think TM is leaving the helm anytime soon....

In fact - I personally believe he's going to be an all time great.

I agree! Scott Frost was hated in the beginning!

Everybody needs to calm down with the TM hate; he's a freshman.

Yes he was. But what I find disconcerting is Casey Martinez trying to get some pull in the program with Bo. I just don't want to see us hit the tank when he graduates (ala Crouch leaving) and have to rebuild again. Putting all your chips in the center of the table tends to end that way. But what do I know?

Yes he was. But what I find disconcerting is Casey Martinez trying to get some pull in the program with Bo. I just don't want to see us hit the tank when he graduates (ala Crouch leaving) and have to rebuild again. Putting all your chips in the center of the table tends to end that way. But what do I know?

I don't know about all that we seem to be recruiting quite a few QB's.

I was trying to get at that in my Bold Predictions post....I don't think TM is leaving the helm anytime soon....

I agree! Scott Frost was hated in the beginning!

Everybody needs to calm down with the TM hate; he's a freshman.

Our cupboard being bare had nothing to do with Crouch (although I hate that ****-sucker)and more to do with the fact that Solich didn't keep up with recruiting well and had coaches that didn't do any recruiting so he was often down a couple of bodies. There were coaches that could have seen kids on the road but wouldn't/couldn't. (look no further than TO's offensive line coaches). That's part of the reason he brought all of those new coaches in that last year.

As far as Casey and his antics...he's on notice. I doubt we see much of that.

The key is to be good enough and far ahead enough to let the others play. We have not had that nor done that in a very long long time. You have to have backups that can play the game you want to play. It is not fair to have them set the bench year after year and then the starter graduates and he has no experience. It does seem we tried it a little this year with Green, but I think he only played because Martinez was hurt. Never a plan to get him on the field in crucial situations. Other than you are the best we have left, play.

I am not sure how well our O, or supposed O will work in the Big Ten. As far s Lamichael having a good year, he was pretty much shut down against the only defense he faced this year. That being Auburn.

I think we are in for an eye opening run. A very tough physical schedule this year. The question is more about depth I think than starters. You guys know alot more about that than I do. But that is my main concern, having the ability to shuffle players in and not have tremendous drop off.

The key is to be good enough and far ahead enough to let the others play. We have not had that nor done that in a very long long time. You have to have backups that can play the game you want to play. It is not fair to have them set the bench year after year and then the starter graduates and he has no experience. It does seem we tried it a little this year with Green, but I think he only played because Martinez was hurt. Never a plan to get him on the field in crucial situations. Other than you are the best we have left, play.

I am not sure how well our O, or supposed O will work in the Big Ten. As far s Lamichael having a good year, he was pretty much shut down against the only defense he faced this year. That being Auburn.

I think we are in for an eye opening run. A very tough physical schedule this year. The question is more about depth I think than starters. You guys know alot more about that than I do. But that is my main concern, having the ability to shuffle players in and not have tremendous drop off.

Well said. Seems you have a pretty good handle on it.

The 177-pounder was offered as a running back. Pelini shared a vision of the new direction his offense will take. There will be more spread and spread option to take advantage of rising sophomore passer Taylor Martinez. It's a step from Nebraska power football toward some of Oregon's offense.

coming from Ameer Abdullah article about his Nebraska and his recruitment........

what do we think? TM more entrenched than we thought???

Hey ireieboy8 - where did this come from? I want to read it.

Check Ameer Abdullahs recruit profile in the recruiting section. I already posted this article in there.

Btw aspeedlin4589, I sure appreciate your recruiting insights. Always good reads.

The 177-pounder was offered as a running back. Pelini shared a vision of the new direction his offense will take. There will be more spread and spread option to take advantage of rising sophomore passer Taylor Martinez. It's a step from Nebraska power football toward some of Oregon's offense.

coming from Ameer Abdullah article about his Nebraska and his recruitment........

what do we think? TM more entrenched than we thought???

I do too.

There's endless hate for the kid for looking like sh*t playing with a bad ankle & turf toe. But he'll tear things up again next year and they'll get over it.

Really? That's what I thought we were doing... I wasn't on the board much until that point last year, but I remember thinking starting at the Holiday Bowl against Arizona that we were going to be moving towards a spread option game...

Yes after the holiday bowl, I think perception was we would see more of the wildcat, with Rex. Not nesscarily go full blown Oregon zone read style, with an uproven QB.

You're right except for the fact that they played him a least on series a half in all those game before TM was hurt just like the coaches had stated they would from day one and often he was put in horrible situations when he was put in.

I think this offense works pretty good against the Big 10, Michigan had great success and if they would have had a defense they probably had a shot at winning the damn thing. I think we are extremely lucky Rich Rod got the ax and wasn't allowed to fix his D with a new DC. Hoke will be much easier to beat over the next 5-10 years if he lasts that long.